Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Black Number Plates

Options
2»

Comments

I wouldn't be so sure, being someone with a tech background, whose to say the machines can cope with anything more than black numbers on white background...

They are used with black on a yellow background in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,673 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

They are used with black on a yellow background in the UK.

And the ANPR there can't read anything that doesn't have correct spacing.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I wouldn't be so sure, being someone with a tech background, whose to say the machines can cope with anything more than black numbers on white background...

I would assume the toll operators - whos job it is to collect as many tolls as possible - would have specced out a system that can read all valid types of plates here (silver on black, black on red, etc for older vehicles).

Anyway, they have the fallback of manual entry for plates where the OCR fails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

MYOB wrote: »
    I would assume the toll operators - whos job it is to collect as many tolls as possible - would have specced out a system that can read all valid types of plates here (silver on black, black on red, etc for older vehicles).

Anyway, they have the fallback of manual entry for plates where the OCR fails.

Silver on black (on a classic car) FTW on the M50 anyway ;)

Saves me a handy €4 each trip.... In fact, that's at least €960 a year saved.... Oh goodie...off to ebay I go! :D

I did a quick bit of research there and it appears that the images are converted to grey scale before they are processed, on thinking more about it this is an obvious step when doing image processing like this. Silver characters on a black plate would be difficult to distinguish in grey scale so I think it could be very difficult to read them.

Here is a paper for anyone interested on the topic of number plate recognition.

http://pages.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~federl/Publications/LicencePlate1996/licence-plate-1996.pdf

• Advertisement
Advertisement