Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Black Number Plates

Options
  • 07-12-2009 1:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

My sister has just purchased a second hand car. It has black number plates. I am just wondering are these legal? :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

depends on how old the car is, if it's modern (i.e newer than 1990) then they're definitely illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Not unless she's the chief procurement officer for the defence forces.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭galwaygirl08

Cheers for replies guys. I didn't think they were legal alrite. Its her first car, she hadn't a clue to be honest. I wonder how the previous owner got away with driving it like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭jhegarty

ninty9er wrote: »
    Not unless she's the chief procurement officer for the defence forces.

Or the car is very old.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,877 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I wonder how the previous owner got away with driving it like that.

Because a lot of laws in this country aren't enforced and the only other time they'd be checked is for the NCT, assuming 4 years or older car, and most people just swap them.

Have you checked the boot for a legit set of plates?

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    depends on how old the car is, if it's modern (i.e newer than 1990) then they're definitely illegal.

Newer than 1986 actually ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

Yes 86 is the cutoff i believe, what is the year and make of the car OP??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

I think even Pre 1986 you had to use the White background with black typing. Black plates with Sliver typing were for defence forces only.

I think even Pre 1986 you had to use the White background with black typing. Black plates with Sliver typing were for defence forces only.

Nope, 1986 or before and black with silver print is quite legal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

I've a ZS reg (1986) E30 and the plates on it are black with silver numbers etc. No problem with the bhoys in blue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭alias no.9

RoverJames wrote: »
    Newer than 1986 actually ;)

In fact, it's 1991 or newer. In typical Irish fashion, we brought in the new year/county/sequential format from January 1987 but the regulations on the style of plate did not come in until 1991 when the EU style plates became mandatory. I had a 1990 Fiesta with silver on black plates many moons ago and checked it up at the time and it was 100% legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Actually is was 1971. I have no facts or little personal story to back this bold claim up. Just thought I throw a year out there like everyone else:D

But in all seriousness,they are illegal for new cars and legal for old ones, I'm really not sure about the cutoff point / year.

But if you buy a classic car , mgb, etc you are fully entitled to put black plates on it.

alias no.9 wrote: »
    In fact, it's 1991 or newer. In typical Irish fashion, we brought in the new year/county/sequential format from January 1987 but the regulations on the style of plate did not come in until 1991 when the EU style plates became mandatory. I had a 1990 Fiesta with silver on black plates many moons ago and checked it up at the time and it was 100% legal.

Apologies to point this out but you are not correct, black and silver plates on a 1990 car are illegal, the regulations are quite clear, registrations post Jan 1st 1987 must be black on a white background. From Ist Jan 1991 you have to have the EU flag and the county the car is registered to (in Irish) on the plate. One of us is correct and it isn't you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

Apologies to point this out but .... One of us is correct and it isn't you ;)

Liar.

You enjoyed every minute of that :cool:

Apologies to point this out but you are not correct, black and silver plates on a 1990 car are illegal, the regulations are quite clear, registrations post Jan 1st 1987 must be black on a white background. From Ist Jan 1991 you have to have the EU flag and the county the car is registered to (in Irish) on the plate. One of us is correct and it isn't you ;)

I am wrong, the regulation was created in 1992 and the part enforcing the style of registration plate came in to operation from 1st January 1993.
    S.I. No. 318/1992 — Vehicle Registration and Taxation Regulations, 1992.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

alias no.9 wrote: »
    I am wrong, the regulation was created in 1992 and the part enforcing the style of registration plate came in to operation from 1st January 1993.
    S.I. No. 318/1992 — Vehicle Registration and Taxation Regulations, 1992.

...replacing a 1986 statutory instrument that required black on white for all plates post Jan 1st 1987:

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1986/en/si/0441.html#zzsi441y1986

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭afatbollix

oooo noes the licence plate police are here...

you all have collections of them dont you!!!!!

MYOB wrote: »
    ...replacing a 1986 statutory instrument that required black on white for all plates post Jan 1st 1987:

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1986/en/si/0441.html#zzsi441y1986

That's what I get for doing half assed searches. I checked with the cops at the time who mustn't either have known or cared about the regulation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Cheers for replies guys. I didn't think they were legal alrite. Its her first car, she hadn't a clue to be honest. I wonder how the previous owner got away with driving it like that.

Well it's not that big a deal really, it only costs about thirty euro to get legal ones.

Are you sure that the previous owner doesn't have a set of legal ones anywhere? Does the car have an NCT ... I'm pretty sure legal numberplates are needed for the test. Might be worth giving them a call to check if they have them, it's not like they're any good to them anyways.

I know a lad with a 91 reg car with silver on black plates. He has no hassle from the guards as they appear to agree with him(the ones he has come across anyway) when he says they are allowed on cars from 91 backwards. Maybe they just don't know themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I know a lad with a 91 reg car with silver on black plates. He has no hassle from the guards as they appear to agree with him(the ones he has come across anyway) when he says they are allowed on cars from 91 backwards. Maybe they just don't know themselves.

Guards not knowing motoring laws? Never! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Plates365.com

Vehicles registered on or after 1 January, 1991

For vehicles registered on or after 1 January, 1991, letters and numbers must be black set against a white
    background of reflex reflective material. The flag of the European Communities, the Nationality Symbol IRL.
    and the Irish language name of the City/County of registration to be shown.

Vehicles Registered on or after 1 January, 1987

For vehicles registered on or after 1 January, 1987, letters and numbers must be black set against a white
    background of reflex reflective material.

Vehicles Registered prior to 1 January, 1987

(i)Reflex Reflecting Registration Plates
    Front registration plates should have black numbers and letters on a white background. Rear registration
    plates should have black numbers and letters on a red or white background.
    (ii)Non-Reflex Reflecting Registration Plates
    Front and rear registration plates should have white, silver or light grey numbers and letters on a black
    background.

I believe black number plates are only aloud on cars over 30 years old as they are not subject to NCT I believe (and the army of course)

I believe black number plates are only aloud on cars over 30 years old as they are not subject to NCT I believe (and the army of course)

Wrong.......

"
    Vehicles Registered prior to 1 January, 1987
    (i)Reflex Reflecting Registration Plates
    Front registration plates should have black numbers and letters on a white background. Rear registration
    plates should have black numbers and letters on a red or white background.
    (ii)Non-Reflex Reflecting Registration Plates
    Front and rear registration plates should have white, silver or light grey numbers and letters on a black
    background.
    "

Non reflex can be silver on a black background :rolleyes:

good catch... :) I must have been half asleep writing that post

so any car older than 87

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Send him over to me.......we get friendly reeeeeal quick.....

1987 and lower for black plate. Defence forces vehicle (not just Army) are exempt.

Simples

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

I remember being told in the past that (by another guard) that anything before 91 had no solid regulations and that anything after it had to have the Euro plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Can the anpr systems on toll roads read the classic reg. nos?

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭PanhardPL

I refer you to the Regulations that were introduced by John Boland The Minister for the Environment on the 17th of December 1986. As and from January 1st 1987 the new registration system was being introduced and the only plates to be used on any vehicle from then onwards would be black letters and numbers on a white reflective background, and the next change was made in 1991 by Padraig Flynn, The Minister for the Environment, requiring all vehicles from then onwards to have both the EC flag on a blue background and the full Irish language name of city/county displayed on each plate.
    The option of changing to this new style was available to anyone with plates since 1987.
    All imported Classic vehicles (over 30 years) could use plates with white lettering on a black background.

Can the anpr systems on toll roads read the classic reg. nos?

Should be no reason why not.

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    Should be no reason why not.

I wouldn't be so sure, being someone with a tech background, whose to say the machines can cope with anything more than black numbers on white background...

Advertisement