Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

course/college questions

• 25-11-2009 12:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone could tell me how the animation course is i have been told its the best place to go to for classical animation so ive applied for an interview to get into the advanced diploma/BA Honors degree when i finish up in my current college.

I was just wondering what the work load is like in the place, Do they teach a lot of stuff or are you kinda left to learn on your own and what the facilities are like i think i missed the last open day.

thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mattfender

The animation course seems very good. I'm in the Music Production course in my second year. Were working with the animation students at the moment on creating sounds and music for the animations. You get to show your animations to the whole class and talk about it and pretty much do what you want really.

Talking to one of the current animation students would be your best bet though..im only a sound engineer!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Hey Ballyers.

Me and a couple of friends are joining the college next year. We're joining the two year Higher National Diploma in radio.

By then, we'll have done a two year course in radio, thus holding a FETAC Level 6 Cert in Radio.

The problem? They seem to think that, because the course requirements are just a FETAC Level 5 and we'll have a level 6, they can join the second year of the course.

I know you can't do that. I've told them over and over. They won't believe me. I just need someone from there to say it so I can show them this and prove them wrong.

Nice one,

Lord Fago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Yea....im almost 100% certain they cant do that. Thats the course im doing now and they'll have to start from scratch im afraid

Thanx cupcake. That's all the proof I need.

You're a star.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

i wouldn know the answer myself but i wouldn't dismiss the answer from the college in favour of a students opinion considering they kinda know the ins and outs of fetac and and have probably dealt with this situation before.

• Advertisement

I didn't ask the college. I probably will eventually but I know (99% sure) that they don't do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

I'm in that course and im almost positive you cant do that,you need to pass the first year to get into the second and its probably all different modules that you never did in your course.Its quite hard to get a place in the radio course as it is,for every 7 people that apply to the course only one gets the spot

I decided to make a thread specifically for people who want to ask about courses or the college in general as there seem to be a few cropping up lately:) merged the previous two questioning threads in here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭DanHendrix

Wats up every1,me mate does sound engineering up there he was telling about music courses up there. I sing and play the guitar would there be any courses up the that involves any of this.. And do you have to apply on the CAO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

you apply via the web
    im sure theres some course available for that sorta thing.ya do see lots of people walkin aroun with guitars slung offering jingles for food

• Advertisement

DanHendrix wrote: »
    Wats up every1,me mate does sound engineering up there he was telling about music courses up there. I sing and play the guitar would there be any courses up the that involves any of this.. And do you have to apply on the CAO.

rock school sounds like your best match,you dont apply through the cao you apply on the ballyfermot college website

Cheers i applied for that.. Does any1 here doing rock school know if its best to play your own song or a cover song for the audition.. And how many students the college accepts for this course each year..Is the course hard to get into..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Oh i got an interview in a month or two have to get my portfolio sorted out.:eek:

Which course did you apply for..

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Buzzthebatgirl

I finished the CCHND (Higher National Diploma In Computer and Classical Animation) last year. That course was terrible IMO, the first year is fine, then in second year the tutors spend ages deciding weither or not to do a film. Then when they did, everyone had to pitch a film idea and the tutors picked film ideas from the laziest people from each class group. The laziest people of course loving the idea of having their film made, but not actually doing anythin about it until the last minute. Cue the last few months of the year being a stress fest of trying to bash out a film while doing the essential course work and classes.

As for anyone wanting to apply for ADA (Advanced Diploma in Animation) be prepared for an awful time if you fail getting in. The college doesn't care if you appeal and will leave you high and dry for months before replying. I worked my arse off last year when I was finishing CCHND and was denied a place on ADA, when all the places when to the afor mentioned lazy arses.

The college does have a habit of turning down good workers and those passionite about their course, hoping that some day they will come back. I can only speak for the Animation courses personally, but I will warn anyone who loves animation, to apply everywhere, not just BCFE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I finished the CCHND (Higher National Diploma In Computer and Classical Animation) last year. That course was terrible IMO, the first year is fine, then in second year the tutors spend ages deciding weither or not to do a film. Then when they did, everyone had to pitch a film idea and the tutors picked film ideas from the laziest people from each class group. The laziest people of course loving the idea of having their film made, but not actually doing anythin about it until the last minute. Cue the last few months of the year being a stress fest of trying to bash out a film while doing the essential course work and classes.

As for anyone wanting to apply for ADA (Advanced Diploma in Animation) be prepared for an awful time if you fail getting in. The college doesn't care if you appeal and will leave you high and dry for months before replying. I worked my arse off last year when I was finishing CCHND and was denied a place on ADA, when all the places when to the afor mentioned lazy arses.

The college does have a habit of turning down good workers and those passionite about their course, hoping that some day they will come back. I can only speak for the Animation courses personally, but I will warn anyone who loves animation, to apply everywhere, not just BCFE

Dam :( i know the feeling , shame there is only 3 place's that do it in ireland that i know of anyway and i need to get into the 3rd year and dun laoghaire only has 5 place's now and ive been told they are going to be gone because a friend of a friend is in the model making class and the only option there getting now is animation because there not doing there 3rd year anymore aparently. Im in one of the 3 place's that do it and it should be shut down its so feckin bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭Gambra

Does anyone know what kind of portfolio would be needed to apply for the Higher Diploma in Film and if it's possible to head into that particular course without any direct film making knowledge? I don't particularly want to do a course to get into another course!

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

Can anyone tell me what the Higher National Diploma In Media Production (Radio) is like ? Thinking of applying for it next year !

Can anyone tell me what the Higher National Diploma In Media Production (Radio) is like ? Thinking of applying for it next year !

thats what im doing this year,its quite tough but enjoyable at the same time,what do you want to know about it?

thats what im doing this year,its quite tough but enjoyable at the same time,what do you want to know about it?
    Heya , Thanks for replying , is the course very hands on in the studio ? do you work much on the college radio ? is there many doing the course ? is it hard to get in ? Do you have to do work expierence ?

• Advertisement

Heya , Thanks for replying , is the course very hands on in the studio ? do you work much on the college radio ? is there many doing the course ? is it hard to get in ? Do you have to do work expierence ?

its not too hands on,at least in first year,we will be running a radio station in the college for a week in april though,and we do canteen radio sometimes,theres two classes doing it with maybe 15 -20 in each,its apparebtly hard to get into,but i dont think thats true really.....yeah you do two weeks work experience which you source yourself

its not too hands on,at least in first year,we will be running a radio station in the college for a week in april though,and we do canteen radio sometimes,theres two classes doing it with maybe 15 -20 in each,its apparebtly hard to get into,but i dont think thats true really.....yeah you do two weeks work experience which you source yourself
    Thanks again , Is there many not from dublin doing the course? , Im from waterford meself was thinking of goiing 2 cork to do the same course but was just wondering what ballyfermot is like? Id be confident of getting accepted in both as im doing W/E in a radio station at d mo for my current course , Is there many people that get work from the course do you now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 karen86

Hi everyone,
    Has anyone completed or are in the midst of completing the Graphic Design program?
    What was your experience like?
    I am considering attending the college for that program next year.

Thanks again , Is there many not from dublin doing the course? , Im from waterford meself was thinking of goiing 2 cork to do the same course but was just wondering what ballyfermot is like? Id be confident of getting accepted in both as im doing W/E in a radio station at d mo for my current course , Is there many people that get work from the course do you now?

yeah theres a few not from dublin in the class,one girl i think is from waterford too now that i think of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Susan365

Hi Everyone,

I am a student studying risk and security management in college. For my dissertation I am carrying out a survey on personal internet use in Ireland. To ensure a random spread of participants I am posting on various Irish forums in hope of a response. I would most appreciate if you would take five minutes of your time to participate by simply clicking on the following address: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/internetuseirelandsurvey or type the address into your browser.

Regards,
    Susan.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 hickeydermot

this is more a question about the area of Ballyfermot , Myself and a friend went on a little walkabout after our interviews , we mostly saw the area leading back in towards the heuston station area , its not bad , i was wondering for a little more insight into why Ballyfermot as a suburb of Dublin gets such a bad rep

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭oldat31

karen86 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    Has anyone completed or are in the midst of completing the Graphic Design program?
    What was your experience like?
    I am considering attending the college for that program next year.

I have, 2 year diploma course. Got my diploma but lost about 30 years off my life due to stress.

The college is kind of lacks, but tutors are cool give or take 1 or 2....

It is a great coursse but be warned, its not picnic. Its full on and high powered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 alokmsg

My School grants can help individuals get the best education without the burden of paying back school debt. It also helps students pay for their education. Financial aid including grants for African-Americans, Native Americans, Asian- Americans and Hispanics is the best way to help students pay for school and college tuition fees.
    Visit:
    School Grants

• Registered Users Posts: 19 cinny

Hi,
    my sister is due to start the art portfolio course in ballyfermot in september. does any one know what hours this course is?

• Advertisement

you dont usually find out the hours until you start the course

Advertisement