Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Massive Shane fan, but this is not a good look and doesn't reflect well on Shane at all. Sometimes people take a stand and do the right thing at personal cost because they know its the right thing. Disapppimted that Shane chose not to, he knows what the right thing to do is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭Trampas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I'm more annoyed at the chipping away of the tradition of the game more than anything. Golf professionals are not responsible for promoting western values or policing human rights issues. If offered a hundred thousand to turn up to Saudi for a few days I think we'd all take it too. So are we really in a position to judge them? Just because they have more money they should have higher moral standards? That's a hard one to justify. There are no perfect countries either, and I'd say there are a lot of questionable sponsors on the PGA tour if you did enough digging.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Id probably not bother judging anyone playing it. Along with a chunk of cash for turning up you also get to visit what is a very interesting country/part of the world. And you're doing it as a bit of celebrity while there for the golf tournament.

Shane and Rory have decided differently and both have their own reasons for doing so. But at the end of the day neither decision will have the slightest bit of impact on the Saudi regime/country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭dublin49

Good solid Start by Shane -5 ,out with Poulter -6.Hes an early starter tomorrow when the scoring is normally easier so could do well.

• Advertisement

Good start. His chip in was a thing of beauty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Done very well to stay at -5 considering the conditions today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Good stuff from Shane today in tough conditions, well on track to regain his title heading into the weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭dball

played with Poultr today, great round by poulter too in fairness.#

Lowry as I type currently co-leader in Abu Dhabi after a 5 under 67 in round three to leave him at 10 under.

• Advertisement

Jesus, he's a magician with the wedges. I sometimes think the huge driving stats the pros put in doesn't always register with the amateur player or spectator. But those chips, pitches, and bumps really show just how good they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,673 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Very poor first hole.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Nice drive off first but disaster after that. Head must be spinning.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Disaster. Hard to recover from that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,545 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

oh no!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,673 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Some awful golf being played atm

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 7,264 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Great putt from Lowry

Hopefully put pressure on the leaders

Still in it. Nothing playing great so head down and -10 might win it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,264 ✭✭✭CH3OH

He will need a lot of luck to get out from where that landed.

Commentator's curse: " easiest hole"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭abff

What happened to Shane on the first? According to the website, he was 17 yards from the hole in 2 and took another 5 shots to get down. For someone with his short game, I find that almost unbelievable.

And now a 6 on the par 5 7th! I hope he can get things back on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,545 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Two 7s from Shane today

That’s his race run

• Registered Users Posts: 37,559 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Par 5 woes strike for Shane again.

Hard to see any way back now sadly.

I stopped watching after he missed the first putt. Can’t believe he’s had a second 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭dublin49

looking at the graphic on the first .over shooting the green from the fairway cost him a chance of a win. I wud imagine his sheer frustration turned a 5/6 into a 7.That 7 although bad didnt put him out of it the way the scoring went ,its the 7 on the par 5 that did that and even then a few birdies would have put him back in it ,I suppose he was too frazzled by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,310 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Sorry, what? You think he figured after 2 shots of the round that he couldn’t win the tournament, even though he was within a shot of the lead starting out? He might have had a meltdown today but I don’t think he’s that mentally fragile!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,559 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think he was saying that after the par 5 disaster that his head was too frazzled.

Advertisement