Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Police are Now Confiscating DJ Laptops as "Evidence' for Illegal Parties-What's next?

Options
  • 05-12-2009 2:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

I wanna make sure that every DJ reading this pays close attention and doesn’t dismiss this. Its all about setting legal precedent so police can take things a step further. This is pointed out in the article.

Every DJ reading this needs to realize that this so-called collection of evidence will eventually start happening when the RIAA and the organizations it backs (I.e. Music First Coalition, Sound Exchange etc) began tracking down DJs who aren’t paying licensing fees for their music, especially if they are rocking at these ‘underground’ parties. This will really happen if they manage to push John Conyers bill HR 848 and make that into law.

For those who don’t know, HR 848 is a performance tax they want to charge radio. Play a song on the air and the artist (translation really the label using the artists as fronts) should get some money. This talk about playing songs for promotional purposes has fallen on def ears as far as the labels are concerned. Once this bill passes they will then use this argument of ’precedent’ and make the case that since radio is paying a performance license so should deejays and club venues. This argument of ‘precendence‘ is the same scurrilous tactic they are using now to try and pass HR 848, except they are pointing to the highly contested bill that made internet and satellite radio pay similar fees as justification. They are likely to argue that the DJ is making living off the backs of hardworking artists and that there would be no career if it wasn’t for the artist thus an artist should share in a percentage of the revenues. Keep your eyes open..

Lastly I will remind people if you recall when the RIAA started cracking down on mixtapes being sold in open markets they were able to do something that almost every business I know of has not and can not. They been able to come along with law enforcement on those RAIDS as if they were the police themselves. I also want folks to check to see if some sort of tracking devices or software are not being added to the laptops when they are returned.

Police are Now Confiscating DJ Laptops as “Evidence’ for Illegal Parties-What’s next?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

dubsbhoy wrote: »

Hr 848? RIAA? John Conyers? Po-lice? I think i've missed something ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

im sorry im not qualified to work on terminator equipment!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Quiggers

Makes me glad i dont gig in the USA, radio stations in ireland and england already pay royalties for playing records, the gairdi or uk police will seize all musical equipement being used at an illegal rave, citing public safety and noise polution acts so there's no new news for us, our law enforcers have had nearly 25 years to get accustomed to rave culture, looks like the US is playing catch up.

Customs can also confiscate laptops if they believe the software, music or video content is pirated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Vestak1

The cops need to concentrate on catching real criminals and not especially targeting people who put on Raves harming no one,crazy sh*t.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

Quiggers wrote: »
    the gairdi or uk police will seize all musical equipement being used at an illegal rave, citing public safety and noise polution acts so there's no new news for us,

there was an illegal rave last weekend with the guts of 2 to 300 people in attendance. from what i've read, the garda done nothing but stop it and disperse the crowd. no fines, no nothing.

i dont think the irish gardai are a crime fighting force you could, lets say, set your watch by when it comes to implementing laws. some yes, but all, no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dubsbhoy

Táck wrote: »
    there was an illegal rave last weekend with the guts of 2 to 300 people in attendance. from what i've read, the garda done nothing but stop it and disperse the crowd. no fines, no nothing.

i dont think the irish gardai are a crime fighting force you could, lets say, set your watch by when it comes to implementing laws. some yes, but all, no.

you must be joking ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Was that on Saturday? Was hearing somewhere not from Tallaght but we decided it was too wet and went back to a session; where did it end up?

hahaha thats super. reminds me of about 8 or 9 years ago i came home one day to find a squad car sitting outisde my house with the alarm going off. they barged in and done a full sweep of the house for me then let me go in when they realised nobody was there. my folks were away. thank god they didnt think any midgets was hiding in my bedside locker.

jimi_t wrote:
    Was that on Saturday? Was hearing somewhere not from Tallaght but we decided it was too wet and went back to a session; where did it end up?

im not actually sure but it was somewhere bordering on dublins outskirts so talla sounds about right. the first of a few i'd say...maybe not there again though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭PatrickD32

Where did this happen? And what happened the equipment being used? Usually they take it from you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Would these raves tend to be techno events? Or trance etc...?

• Advertisement

techno. im not sure how trance would go down at an illegal rave particularly in ireland considering the crowd it usually attracts and the lack of an authoritative force there. although i did see someone getting glassed at a techno gig before so there's bad apples everywhere.

i dont know where it happened. i wasnt there. i've only read about it online, from the promoter himself. but im guessing in an industrial estate in dublin. more then likely on the southside. he had the warehouse owners permission to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

American police also shoot people on a regular basis, things are a bit different here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Would these raves tend to be techno events? Or trance etc...?

Psy Trance sure but not your normal Euro cheesy Trance that Tiesto, Armin and co dish out to the masses.

jonny68 wrote: »
    Psy Trance sure but not your normal Euro cheesy Trance that Tiesto, Armin and co dish out to the masses.

Hate psy-trance, would love to have permission to a warehouse or industrial estate to run a rave.

@ Tack, have you link to where read it.

Hard Dance / Tech Trance rave would attract a numerous amount of scum.
    Its a pity scum didnt get into linedancing and **** of with themselves turning up at all events they can drop pills too and not know anything about whos playing/tunes etc. Scenesters!

PatrickD32 wrote: »
    Hard Dance / Tech Trance rave would attract a numerous amount of scum.
    Its a pity scum didnt get into linedancing and **** of with themselves turning up at all events they can drop pills too and not know anything about whos playing/tunes etc. Scenesters!

That was the beauty of minimal - a pretty much knacker free genre.

The only Warehouse rave that I've heard of was that 'Be an extra' party they had out in some industrial estate last year or the year before; tickets were available in the Bernard Shaw. They got away with saying they were filming club scenes for a movie or something, couple friends went to it and said it wasn't half bad. With the Minge and that place on Leinster road gone there's no real afterparty scene any more either... mores the shame; combine that with the 3am closing and its been the worst couple of years for irish clubbing since the PAs were turf powered.

Andrews Lane are running Deadmau5/Feadz style 'raves' these days with posters advertising "FIRST 100 PEOPLE IN GET WHITE JUMPSUITS. UV CANNONS. UV STICKS. ELECTRO MADNESS. 15 EURO DRINKS. TICKETS ESSENTIAL. R.O.A.R.". Pity as it is a nice enough venue

jimi_t wrote: »
    That was the beauty of minimal - a pretty much knacker free genre.

The only Warehouse rave that I've heard of was that 'Be an extra' party they had out in some industrial estate last year or the year before; tickets were available in the Bernard Shaw. They got away with saying they were filming club scenes for a movie or something, couple friends went to it and said it wasn't half bad. With the Minge and that place on Leinster road gone there's no real afterparty scene any more either... mores the shame; combine that with the 3am closing and its been the worst couple of years for irish clubbing since the PAs were turf powered.

Andrews Lane are running Deadmau5/Feadz style 'raves' these days with posters advertising "FIRST 100 PEOPLE IN GET WHITE JUMPSUITS. UV CANNONS. UV STICKS. ELECTRO MADNESS. 15 EURO DRINKS. TICKETS ESSENTIAL. R.O.A.R.". Pity as it is a nice enough venue

Ah thats a pity :(
    It is a nice venue alrite, but will ony attract scumbuckets and not into deadmau5 etc anyway.
    Id rather pay 25euro into a proper illegal rave than pay 15 into there :D

Ah thats a pity :(
    It is a nice venue alrite, but will ony attract scumbuckets and not into deadmau5 etc anyway.
    Id rather pay 25euro into a proper illegal rave than pay 15 into there :D

Oh its full of students - and the worse kind at that. Drop something remotely heavy and a moshpit is formed by absolute pillocks. Same kind of **** when Felix came to the UCD student bar, the crowd was so bad that he ended up dropping 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' in the last hour of his set - I **** you not.

Oh its full of students - and the worse kind at that. Drop something remotely heavy and a moshpit is formed by absolute pillocks. Same kind of **** when Felix came to the UCD student bar, the crowd was so bad that he ended up dropping 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' in the last hour of his set - I **** you not.

Ah now, that takes the pish completely :eek:

I'd say an accurate guess at who goes to those ALT raves are 18 year old country people who've come up for college and see the posters and say 'ooh, a rave, I loove dance music, that David Guetta is great'.

No offence meant to country people on here.

I'd say an accurate guess at who goes to those ALT raves are 18 year old country people who've come up for college and see the posters and say 'ooh, a rave, I loove dance music, that David Guetta is great'.

No offence meant to country people on here.

Im from the 'country' and lived in north dublin for year or so, and have alot of friends from Dublin who dj and into clubbing, Most people I know that go to ALT and such places are Dubs themselves. And most them go to the likes of gigs like LETRIK aswell which has been at ALT since kicked out of Tivoli. For the likes of SCOT PROJECT etc.

• Advertisement

haha, i love that.

you're an embarasment to ireland with your musical taste and or opinion on music.

but no offence meant haha. well done grimey, i'm actually giggling out loud.

haha, i love that.

you're an embarasment to ireland with your musical taste and or opinion on music.

but no offence meant haha. well done grimey, i'm actually giggling out loud.

who?

Im from the 'country' and lived in north dublin for year or so, and have alot of friends from Dublin who dj and into clubbing, Most people I know that go to ALT and such places are Dubs themselves. And most them go to the likes of gigs like LETRIK aswell which has been at ALT since kicked out of Tivoli. For the likes of SCOT PROJECT etc.

There are a few vaguely decent nights in ALT, Trashed and Noize in particular, but they are pretty much just the same as all the nights in Dublin these days, which are billed as 'electro' but are in effect indie nights, with one or two watery indie dance tunes thrown in near the end. That said, that's the best you can get in Dublin these days.

I'm talking specifically about those 'raves', not ALT in general.

me

culchi's

electrogrimey

There are a few vaguely decent nights in ALT, Trashed and Noize in particular, but they are pretty much just the same as all the nights in Dublin these days, which are billed as 'electro' but are in effect indie nights, with one or two watery indie dance tunes thrown in near the end. That said, that's the best you can get in Dublin these days.

Ah right, Ive never even heard of Guetta in ALT, maybe thats a good thing :D

its that new indie dance / nu disco malarky id say. some of which isnt bad. i've gotten into it due to the crowd im playing to. they like to dance to it, which is good. when i played minimal and or tech house, they both went down like a sh1te sandwich.

SALT has potential. well it did anyway. i seen james lavelle there and he was absolute rubbish and another night arveene who was probably worse, but in fairness i complained online about his set and he apologized and acknowledged he was actually crap due to a heavy night previously. but the venue isnt bad at all.

That said, that's the best you can get in Dublin these days.

Or you could go to the 515 night in tripods, or the esoteric stuff they get in Pygmallion or even somewhere like Kennedys/Bernard Shaw. Just because you don't go there doesn't mean its not out there

its that new indie dance / nu disco malarky id say. some of which isnt bad. i've gotten into it due to the crowd im playing to like to dance to it as when i played minimal and or tech house, which both went down like a sh1te sandwich.

SALT has potential. well it did anyway. i seen james lavelle there and he was absolute rubbish and another night arveene who was probably worse, but in fairness i complained online about his set and he apologized and acknowledged he was actually crap due to a heavy night previously. but the venue isnt bad at all.

SALT?

Indie dance AFAIK is the Boys Noize kind of sound, or Justice, Erol Alkan, D.I.M, Proxy etc. Soulwax Nite Versions might be too, that kind of dirty electro-y sound. Everywhere around town plays a bit of that, and then some electro house, tunes like Warp 1.9, Pon de Flor, Afrojack - Moombah, and Riverside are probably the best you could expect to hear unless there's an international DJ in. They mostly just play indie all night. Although it depends where you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Quiggers

Showing my age or distance from a proper club scene, but what is ALT

• Advertisement

Or you could go to the 515 night in tripods, or the esoteric stuff they get in Pygmallion or even somewhere like Kennedys/Bernard Shaw. Just because you don't go there doesn't mean its not out there

Oh I do, the 515 nights and any international DJs coming in are usually good, and they sometimes have some good stuff in the Shaw alright, it just happens that as a student I always end up at the dance orientated student nights, like Antics, Trashed, Noize, Musik, C.U.N.T etc.

Advertisement