Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Tiger

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,914 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Looks very like magic sword. I've heard of it but never played it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

Never heard of magic sword myself..must give it a go

you get gold,buy better weapons and armour.Was and still is my favourite platform game along side new zealand story.Nearly bought the original game+cab a fewe years ago in england but for lack of money

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,914 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You'll love Magic Sword, it's by capcom as well and is probably a spiritual sequel to black tiger by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Dark Savior

I used to love Black Tiger back in the day,it was one of those games you would walk past in the arcade not realising how good it was.All the hidden armor and stuff.The Ps2 and xbox have an excellent port of it on Capcom Classics Collection 2.

Magic Sword is on that compilation also

just googled magic sword there and have to admit I never seen it in the arcades.Looks like something I'd like alright

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Used to love Black Tiger as well, have it on the aforementioned collection for the PS2, and also on the collection for the PSP, I think....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Another fan of Black Tiger. The non-popular arcade in town had it, so I was able to get down there now and then (it was sort of out of way, hence the lack of popularity) and spend whole afternoons on it. When I got mame a few years back, it was the first game I played. I ... er.... cheated a little and cleared it about a hour :p

Have been tempted to put it on easy and up my lives....but wanna finish it fair and square.have a crap joypad so thats whats stopping me from finishing it(well thats my excuse and im stickin to it:D)

gonna get a decent set of arcade joysticks for xmas and get it done then:)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,581 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Lab_Mouse wrote: »
    Have been tempted to put it on easy and up my lives....but wanna finish it fair and square.have a crap joypad so thats whats stopping me from finishing it(well thats my excuse and im stickin to it:D)

gonna get a decent set of arcade joysticks for xmas and get it done then:)

Balls to X-Arcade! For that money you could get an old JAMMA arcade cabinet and bang in a Black Tiger JAMMA board.

Wait no..I just checked and the cheapest official Black Tiger on ebay is the same price as that X-Arcade -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Black-Tiger-Jamma-Arcade-Pcb-100-Tested-Working_W0QQitemZ120488753062QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1c0db077a6

A Jamma cabinet would only cost you an extra 100 euro though. And well..if you like the game THAT much... :pac:

o1s1n wrote: »
    Balls to X-Arcade! For that money you could get an old JAMMA arcade cabinet and bang in a Black Tiger JAMMA board.

Wait no..I just checked and the cheapest official Black Tiger on ebay is the same price as that X-Arcade -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Black-Tiger-Jamma-Arcade-Pcb-100-Tested-Working_W0QQitemZ120488753062QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1c0db077a6

A Jamma cabinet would only cost you an extra 100 euro though. And well..if you like the game THAT much... :pac:

Dont be tempting me like that:DNot working so think the x arcade might be more viable money wise...but you have me curious.

$129 for the original pcb and roughly 100 for the cab..not beyound the realms of possibility either.Anything else I would need or would I roughly be looking at 229(give or take)euro.

Also would The cab be able to take New Zealand story?:D
    And yes I do love the game that much

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Dont be tempting me like that:DNot working so think the x arcade might be more viable money wise...but you have me curious.

$129 for the original pcb and roughly 100 for the cab..not beyound the realms of possibility either.Anything else I would need or would I roughly be looking at 229(give or take)euro.

Also would The cab be able to take New Zealand story?:D
    And yes I do love the game that much

Jamma is the arcade standard, so New Zealand story will work in it yeah ;) (And pretty much every other arcade game you'd want to play too)

Getting a cab in Ireland can be a bit of a pain. But it's possible -

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220489493265&ssPageName=ADME:X:eRTM:IE:1123

These guys also have a website -

www.arcademachines.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

Anyone love this game?Spent many a 10p playing it(never finished it)and stil regularly play it.

I used to play on the arcades but now I play it on the psp.
    Love the old school arcade:D

@retrogamer just played magic sword and it does ring a bell(well the easter island statues that fire blue fire at you do anyway:D)

@o1s1n feck ye anyway:Dnow i dont know what to spend my euro on!Might just buy the Blacktiger Jamma board as that will force me to buy the cab...

way I look at it the parts to build a mame cab will come near to equaling the cost of the cab to put Jamma board into..(i hope:Dthats my reasoning)

have to have a proper think about it.....

EDIT:and its all being funded by me giving up fags!

Master of the Universe

@o1s1n feck ye anyway:Dnow i dont know what to spend my euro on!Might just buy the Blacktiger Jamma board as that will force me to buy the cab...

way I look at it the parts to build a mame cab will come near to equaling the cost of the cab to put Jamma board into..(i hope:Dthats my reasoning)

have to have a proper think about it.....

A MAME cab is instant gratification. It's cool and all...but just not 100% perfect.

A real cab with real hardware will make you piss your pants in excitement. Trust me on that one! Really worth the extra effort. It's even fun sometimes to turn the coin function on and hear the 'ping!' sound whenever you put a coin in. (Plus it makes for an interesting piggy bank!)

Plus every time you buy a new game it's like Christmas :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

An excellent game! I played it along with Bionic Commando back in the day. It's funny to think that just a year later along came CPS1 and took Capcoms games to a whole different level!
    As I recall the conversion for the c64 was pretty excellent as well. Thankfully it was only released by US. Gold and not developed by them....

also just checked and new zealand story pcb is going for $225:D

tbh honest nearly sold on getting the original cab +board because I dont think my carpentery skills are the best and the mame cab would probably look like it was homemade.

The down side is with the x-arcade +mame cab I have access to **** load of games.

Think i will bite the bullet and get the Jamma board and live the dream!!:D:eek:

Best thing I ever did was pick up a cab :) I'm going to be hunting for number two shortly!

Can you lik to the TNZS pcb?

Cheers!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TAITO-JAMMA-ARCADE-PCB-THE-NEW-ZEALAND-STORY-AWESOME_W0QQitemZ180441535939QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2a032755c3

fit that in your 2nd cab:)

The version I played was the jap version,not sure which one that 1 is.And going by mame I think there's 2 versions of the japanese one going around(must check could be wrong)

Master of the Universe

The down side is with the x-arcade +mame cab I have access to **** load of games.

With MAME and other emulators I find I hop from game to game all the time. Selection overload.

With one game in a cab you get to spend time on that one title, learn its ways and soon enough with a bit of practice you'll be able to 1 credit it.

Sure if you want to play MAME you can always go back to the PC.

Not all JAMMA games are this expensive by the way. I suppose it depends what you want to play. I was looking for Neo Geo myself, so it doesn't work out too expensive buying new carts for the motherboard. Usually about 30 euro for a game. The odd expensive one has been 60.

You're a bit stuck though if you want to collect Cave shooters or something else expensive. Worth looking into first!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TAITO-JAMMA-ARCADE-PCB-THE-NEW-ZEALAND-STORY-AWESOME_W0QQitemZ180441535939QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2a032755c3

fit that in your 2nd cab:)

The version I played was the jap version,not sure which one that 1 is.And going by mame I think there's 2 versions of the japanese one going around(must check could be wrong)

You've never met anyone as obsessed with TNZS as me....There's four versions out there one of which is a prototype. Main differences are in the first world (island). Ether the levels have been reordered with some removed or changed. The old version from Japan is my favorite as it's the one I orginally played all those years ago! Completing this game is still a pleasure....I think I'll fire it up when I get home back to Ireland :)

LoGiE

• Advertisement

Actualy the new zealand story is what got me into emulation to start .regularly play.Could last hours on 1 credit and just go around and around.Still play it regularly.

O1s1n i know exactly what you mean,i find you dont have the patience to learn where to position yourself for killing boss's etc knowing that you have unlimited credits.

Another game I have a lot of love for is shinobi(and to a certain extent shadow dancer)could nearly all the unarmed bonus's for all the levels but on mame i just havent bothered

EDIT:one good thing about mame is you get a chance to play some excellent games that you missed when you were younger

Master of the Universe

EDIT:one good thing about mame is you get a chance to play some excellent games that you missed when you were younger

Another thing you can do (To find a happy medium) is buy a MAME multi board for a JAMMA cabinet. They'll have an absolute load of games on them.

It'll connect to the JAMMA harness exactly the same way a normal game would. But it's basically a mini pc with MAME loaded.

And can you load roms on that o1s1n?or are they pre-loaded and permanent?

So if I get a working jamma cab i get the coin mechanism,powersuppl+screen?

Master of the Universe

And can you load roms on that o1s1n?or are they pre-loaded and permanent?

I'm not actually sure about that to be honest. I think you can get them with a fairly large pre loaded romset so you probably wouldn't need to load games onto it. Would be nice if you could though..
    So if I get a working jamma cab i get the coin mechanism,powersuppl+screen?

Yeah, the cabinet itself is the monitor, control panel with joystick/buttons and this is all connected up via a JAMMA harness.

The game pcb just attaches to a JAMMA connection on that harness.

The most expensive/important part/scary part/annoying part is the monitor.

If you're going to buy one make sure to check out the monitor before you buy it. Does it have screen burn, are the colours faded, is it blinking/flickering..all these issues can be fixed. But getting one in perfect working order off the bat is what you want.

Master of the Universe

The coin mechanism will be there too. But it's just really for fun. You can turn freeplay on so you won't need to insert coins.

Sorry, forgot to mention, power supply will be in there too!

think I will get a cab and an original pcb after xmas together rather than pcb on its own first,that would just do my head in.

Will have more questions nearer the time:Dgotta start savin

Master of the Universe

Well the cab is the thing to start looking for now! Even if you don't have the funds at the moment. The hunt for one might take a bit longer than you'd think. (Depends on your location in the country really)

Picking up the PCB on ebay should be easy enough.

Hope you have room for it by the way ;) They can be monsters! My one is about 6 foot.

im in dublin..so yeah might start looking,tried that link earlier but site is down for repairs.might fire an email off and see if they get back.

As for room ,was only thinking of that earlier and its gonna be tight but I'l put it somewhere:)

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Yep, you'd want one of these -

http://www.jammaboards.com/store/sega-to-jamma-adapter/prod_109.html

(That website is great for bits and pieces by the way)

Advertisement