Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photography, Art, The Individual and "Ireland"

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

I think in this and several past instances, the definitions of what 'art' is have varied wildly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

rymus wrote: »
    I think in this and several past instances, the definitions of what 'art' is have varied wildly.

You can call it what you want. I think you know what I mean though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Fenster wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but how is it a positive thing when they advertise themselves as 'all-Ireland' while simultaneously coming across as an all-Dublin circle-jerk?

So instead of saying "I'd like to be involved and I am based in XYZ and here's what I can contribute", you emailed a complaint about how it was Dublin centric. How is that constructive?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

yeah, I think so ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭dakar

rymus wrote: »

Yup, and the fact that everyone gets so defensive of their own version of 'art' (especially those who disdain it) is the root of the problem.

I've emailed them expressing an interest in getting involved in whatever capacity I can. I await developments with interest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

To settle the "art" argument once and for all.

Photography is a sub forum of "the Arts" on Boards. As Dev is more or less the Pope around here and infallible and all that,
    unlike the mods who only think that
    well thats it guys. :D;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 19 PhotoIreland

I would suggest, if I may, that we continue any discussions about PhotoIreland in the following thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055766368

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

I'm sorry, but how is it a positive thing when they advertise themselves as 'all-Ireland' while simultaneously coming across as an all-Dublin circle-jerk?

Hi Fenster - I have no beef with you but just to respond to your question directly.

My perception is they have invited people to particpate, they are trying to be inclusive and progressive in what there aiming to achieve, my opinion is this is a positive thing.

Its your perception is its a Dublin centric circle jerk , its not a statement of fact nor is it their expressed intention. You are of course welcome to express you opinion... as Ive also suggested in my post above.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I have a problem with
    I am writing/speaking on behalf of both the active photographic community of boards.ie and as myself personally as a photographer.

We are all users here but none of us can speak on behalf of the whole community. You are welcome to represent yourself however you like. Unless you have been given permission from Boards.ie Admin you have no right to speak on behalf of this Forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Covey wrote: »
    All I get from this thread is moaning and abject negativity.

I for one think it's a great initiative, that hopefully will achieve it's aims.

It's not too long ago we had the a long thread which contained the gem "Now we have the horses at the water, how do we make them drink" or something to that effect. Do nothing was the outcome of that:mad:

Before we should start critising other organisations maybe we should have a good look at ourselves.

I understand where your coming from - but people will always be critical , I guess its in the way they express their criticism is whats at issue.

Ive replied to the guy that I assume runs the site. My comment was in relation to the design, not designed to attack credibility or otherwise. I think the site is text heavy and remarkably deficient in terms of graphics and images for appealing to a target audience that likes visual stimulation ....graphics and images?

When you say "we" ? I dont really have a history here on the board so cant comment much, I guess there is/was a collective apathy at organising things? I thought this place was pretty active actually, walk abouts, year books etc etc

• Advertisement
Advertisement