Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

TOP GEAR LIVE,ANYONE GO YET???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

No, just saying, like if I was to call (taken into context) a black man the n word, I'd be stereotyping, and if I did it here I'd get banned for it....

So why should you be able to stereotype?
    That would be racism and any of us would get banned for it. The same goes for homophobia or sexism. Stereotyping is saying, for example, that BMW/SUV/Mercedes drivers are arrogant or that Civic drivers wear baseball caps - ie pretty much what you'll find in any number of threads here. It's a completely different thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Anan1 wrote: »
    That would be racism and any of us would get banned for it. The same goes for homophobia or sexism. Stereotyping is saying, for example, that BMW/SUV/Mercedes drivers are arrogant or that Civic drivers wear baseball caps - ie pretty much what you'll find in any number of threads here. It's a completely different thing.
    Well then just ignore the first comment, but I'm sure I'd get an infraction for the second as I've seen it done with a fair few stereotypes and in different sub-forums.

As to avoid an argument...if I called a person an emo for listening to rocker music or scream-o etc, I'd get an infraction....
    I'd say you'd be more likely to get blank looks around here.;) Seriously though, the line is when it crosses into personal abuse. Put simply, we can say that's stupid but we can't say you're stupid.

You referred to a specific group of people though, so surely you're being stereotypical no?

Quote for reference 'It's a car show for Sun readers, and there's no shortage of them.'

You referred to a specific group of people though, so surely you're being stereotypical no?

Quote for reference 'It's a car show for Sun readers, and there's no shortage of them.'
    Of course I was stereotyping, but that's not against the rules. Otherwise how could we have threads like 'do certain types of people drive certain cars?' without banning everyone who posts?

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote: »
    Of course I was stereotyping, but that's not against the rules. Otherwise how could we have threads like 'do certain types of people drive certain cars?' without banning everyone who posts?
    Hmm, thought it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭bookerboy

Can we stick with Top Gear live please.Still haven't decided whwther to go on Sunday or not.
    The impression i have sofar is don't go,it's to dear and not a great show.
    I'd say there will be plenty of free tickets given out for Sunday if it is not cancelled.
    Where would you get some of those free tickets?I would go for free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

I looked up the ticket prices...for that kinda money I'd be expecting a 20 minute shot in an Enzo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

bookerboy wrote: »
    .I'd say there will be plenty of free tickets given out for Sunday if it is not cancelled.
    Where would you get some of those free tickets?I would go for free

who would be giving out free tickets? i would hope that they would slash the price for sundays show but its not going to happen. i would never pay that kind of money to see the show. tbh, i just want to see some of the cars, i wouldnt even bother with the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

I got two VIP tickets for my son as part of his Birthday present. We are going tomorrow. By the sounds of things its going to be a bit of a bummer! Hope its not, he is really looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Falconire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

I Went last year with 3 friends, we all thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, good craic, great stunt driving, pyrotechnics & banter amongst the 3 top gear lads, we all felt we got a good show, wasn't cheap, but most half decent entertainment in this banana republic is expensive, the car show outside the live event was great too, it was pricy last year, but charging the same amount this year is just crazy. I have to say I find all of the bandwagon jumpers knocking top gear yet still watching it quite amusing.

Oh by the way neither I nor any of my mates are sun readers, and although we watch top gear we are also car enthusiats too, but we must be the exception to the rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Mickk

Haha there is a load of top gear tickets on gumtree at below cost, looks like the touts got burnt on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

strange this, over there in <
    the Top Gear Forum its more or less 100% positive

but here we have more mixed reviews

fryup wrote: »
    strange this, over there in <
    the Top Gear Forum its more or less 100% positive

but here we have more mixed reviews
    Linky??
    please and thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

I went last year. It was a laugh - the car show was my favourite bit. (To the guy going with his son, you'll both really enjoy it.) It's way too expensive though, so no chance of me going again this year.

I'm watching older episodes of top gear at the moment (look to be about 2004ish) on Dave. It was so much better then. They never left the country and drove cars that you actually see on the roads. Nowadays it's just a blokey sex and the city.

Clarkson's book 'On cars' is a good read though - mostly his articles from the 80s and early 90s when he was broke and his writing was fresher.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Linky??
    please and thanks

here you go.....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=900

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

Right as promised. I went last year and was really disappointed, was so contrived and also everything was rushed, over crowded etc. Swore id never go back..

So i got free gold tickets this year and the paddock tour etc so i said sure F**k it ill go.

Have to say it was less rushed this year, jeremy at least had his voice back. Overall it was a better show but i would have been horrified to pay €100 for the tickets each. Less cars in the marquee section and i also didnt appreciate being called a british driver by Jimmy Carr... the loop the lopp was cool and the stunt drivers were savage.

Same oul crap with the cool wall and the race though.

My oneliner verdict: Better than last year but not worth the money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

I just came back from Dublin from Top Gear and I have to say that I liked it it was very good and in some way it was better then last year. Reson being is that this year there wasnt lot of stunts but there was more of talking about cars and it was more like being in the Top Gear in London.
    So overall I liked it and would go again if they come back. It was a good laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

would u get cheap tickets outside the RDS?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Dylanmc111 wrote: »
    would u get cheap tickets outside the RDS?
    If the touts are unloading them.

Just got back from the RDS. It was a great show, my son loved it. Thats what its all about for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I was there last year, and based on that, I wouldn't go again.

I thought the stunt driving and actual performances were really good. But the actual interaction between the lads was so horribly scripted I struggled to sit thru it. The whole performance was so wooden and obviously planned down to the last "off the cuff" remark.

I've noticed the same thing creeping into the TV show more and more too recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Hanley wrote: »
    I've noticed the same thing creeping into the TV show more and more too recently.

Or the last 3-4 years........

It's all the same though, all that witty banter between comedians on shows like Nevermind the buzzcocks and Qi is all scripted and run through previously so when they do the actual record it all makes them look very funny and sharp witted.

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

going by what my missus said about it. If they are back next year I will definately go. So what if its scripted. I thought ye all like cars?
    Only thing the missus didnt like was some drunk chap acting the prat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Lads this rubbish is "Celtic Tiger" entertainment, how the hell anyone could fall for this in 2009 is literally beyond me!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

went last year and had a great time at the show and in the marquee with all the great cars.

brought the missus to see it this year as she missed it last year and I though the show was worse, WAYYYY less decent cars and the marquee had essentially turned into a sales tent rather than a car show.

so in short is was ALOT worse this year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Went last night - really enjoyed it, so did my mate.

To complain thats its scripted is slightly retarded to be honest - of course it is, they can hardly be expected to improv every night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

was there cheap tickets goin outside for it? I was gonna go but after hearin mixed reviews I dont think id pay full wack for it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Show up 5 mins before the start. I am sure there will be some very cheap tickets available.

Advertisement