Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you welcome atheists into your church

Options
  • 03-12-2009 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭

To preachers, clergy, of any religious group.

Would you welcome a group of atheists to one of your sermons, and be prepared to have a discussion afterwards over tea and coffee and biscuits.

We could have a decent discussion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

I have preached a few times at a regular Saturday service that is set up very much like this. After the sermon there is tea, coffee and bickies and then I sat in the hot-seat and people asked me questions. I've never asked anyone their background and there were no obviously atheist questions so I can't say for certain that atheists attended, but I know that many people there including myself would think it a pity if no atheists or non-Christians ever attended since it was set up to be a special apologetic/outreach service.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

rohatch wrote: »
    To preachers, clergy, of any religious group.

Would you welcome a group of atheists to one of your sermons, and be prepared to have a discussion afterwards over tea and coffee and biscuits.

We could have a decent discussion.

I'm sure folk would jump at the chance - and I'm sure the sermon would be specifically tailored to the visitors (:)) .

Unless well planned, I'd imagine the discussion a disaster however: it'd be like throwing Nationalist & Unionists into a room together (pre-Good Friday) and letting them at it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Remember, atheists like babies, not biscuits to dip into their hot tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I'm sure folk would jump at the chance - and I'm sure the sermon would be specifically tailored to the visitors (:)) .

Unless well planned, I'd imagine the discussion a disaster however: it'd be like throwing Nationalist & Unionists into a room together (pre-Good Friday) and letting them at it.

Really?

I find (and I think the theists would agree) the conversations are alot of craic.

Dades wrote: »
    Remember, atheists like babies, not biscuits to dip into their hot tea.

I'm afraid we'd have to draw the line there and ask that you respect our non-baby-eating beliefs. However I assure you that in most of the churches I've been to the taste in bickies is top-notch and you would be well looked after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Malty_T wrote: »
    Really?

I find (and I think the theists would agree) the conversations are alot of craic.

I couldn`t imagine any member of the church leadership having a problem with someone wanting to have a discussion (as opposed to an argument) with them after the service. Evangelizing comes in many forms!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Absolutely! If you're prepared to come to the North East of this fair land then send me a PM. However, I would insist that our post-match discussion takes place over a decent lunch rather than measly tea and biscuits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭rohatch

Thanks for the responses, any other atheists fancy an afternoon out. I would be interested if RTE or TV3 would be interested in covering this. We definitely need more TV coverage from our point of view.

Well, if you are out to promote atheism, then I suggest that the A&A forum would be the place to incubate and refine your evil plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

I like the TV idea, presuming it is balanced for both sides.

• Advertisement

You're wanting the TV stations involved? Is it really that big a deal? You do realise anyone is welcome to go to church? Christians, in evangelical churches especially, don't mind talking about their beliefs at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Would you allow an atheist be a guest speaker in your Church?

Depends what the subject is. I don't think an Sunday morning atheism sermon would be suitable. But I don't see a problem with a speaker who just so happened to be atheist giving a chat about some social justice issue, for example.

No. People come to church for a specific purpose, and listening to an atheist voicing their opinions isn't generally one of them.

PDN wrote: »
    No. People come to church for a specific purpose, and listening to an atheist voicing their opinions isn't generally one of them.

What if atheism wasn't on the agenda?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

is not that what christs teaching is about ? to bring non believers into christianity,or is it closed shop ,

getz wrote: »
    is not that what christs teaching is about ? to bring non believers into christianity,or is it closed shop ,
    I don't think anyone has suggested a closed shop. :confused:

getz wrote: »

I'd imagine though the shop would be closed to folks who come with a closed mind or worse still a disrespectful one.
    Open to everyone else though. :)

PDN wrote: »
    I don't think anyone has suggested a closed shop. :confused:

Would you be afraid that we would de-convert some of your flock?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

I'd imagine though the shop would be closed to folks who come with a closed mind or worse still a disrespectful one.
    Open to everyone else though. :)
    do you honestly believe that the apostles and early christian teachers met with friendly faces ?[i love you really, i am only feeding you to the lions because they are hungry] if your faith is strong ,why worry ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

It's just a tad ambitious to think RTE or TV3 will want to involve themselves in this:D

Depends what the subject is. I don't think an Sunday morning atheism sermon would be suitable.
    I find that unfathomable. Why on earth not? Surely it would encourage objective thinking.

I find that unfathomable. Why on earth not? Surely it would encourage objective thinking.

I'd imagine it is because mass is a time for believers to reflect and share their love and devotion for God. Last thing they'd want is a militant atheist tempting them towards satan.

I'd imagine it is because mass is a time for believers to reflect and share their love and devotion for God. Last thing they'd want is a militant atheist tempting them towards satan.

Who said Militant atheist? Who said Stalin?

All I am saying is a section of the service to facilitate thinking about their faith in a different more challenging way. A way that isn't afraid of counter arguments and opinions. If the faith is genuine - what's the problem?

And how could anyone who would not allow such a simple thing sincerely say they respect an atheist and tell them they are welcome and ask them for coffee?

Unfathomable! Well there you go. As Malty said, people go to largely church for a specific reason - to praise God. This activity just so happens to be entirely incomparable with a man telling you there is no God. What is unfathomable about that? As for objective thinking, I would imagine that people are free to look at other perspectives if they choose. People can purchase The God Delusion or log on to the the A&A forum all they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Antoennis

While i think you are right Malty_T that mass would not be a suitable time for a discussion like this it is wrong of you to think that Atheist's are satan worshippers.

Antoennis wrote: »
    While i think you are right Malty_T that mass would not be a suitable time for a discussion like this it is wrong of you to think that Atheist's are satan worshippers.

I never said we were. :)

Perhaps one of the kind Christian folk could clarify, but, I think,(stress "think") that it is Satan that tempts us away from God's glory. So, any self-confessed atheist has been tempted away from faith (or denied it) by satan : we might not intentionally worship Satan, but we have given into His* temptations.

*Em do you address satan with caps, like you do God. Is it "Satan" and "He", or is it "satan" and "he"?

Unfathomable! Well there you go. As Malty said, people go to largely church for a specific reason - to praise God. This activity just so happens to be entirely incomparable with a man telling you there is no God. What is unfathomable about that? As for objective thinking, I would imagine that people are free to look at other perspectives if they choose. People can purchase The God Delusion or log on to the the A&A forum all they want.

Surely you could see some benefits to it? For example, it would refute the claim that all church is, is belief massaging? It would also refute the risk (as shown by clinical pyschology, see: Stuart Sutherlan 'Irrationality') that when a group of people who share the same opinion on something colate and without any alternative opinion, their opinions become more extreme and irrational?

Or for those that belief in Satan they could see Satan in action?

Unfathomable! Well there you go. As Malty said, people go to largely church for a specific reason - to praise God. This activity just so happens to be entirely incomparable with a man telling you there is no God. What is unfathomable about that?

I could not stand in front of parishoners and say there is no God or creator. What I can say is that if there was a creator or god if would not be the same god that man wrote about when they wrote the bible. If there was a creator he last checked in on us 13.7 billion years ago.
    As for objective thinking, I would imagine that people are free to look at other perspectives if they choose. People can purchase The God Delusion or log on to the the A&A forum all they want.

My parents will not read the GD because they are afraid of offending god.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Antoennis

I never said we were. :)

Perhaps a Christian could clarify, but, I think,(stress "think") that it is Satan that tempts us away from God's glory. So, any self-confessed atheist has been tempted away from faith (or denied it) by satan : we might not intentionally worship Satan, but we have given into His* temptations.

*Em do you address satan with caps, like you do God. Is it "Satan" and "He", or is it "satan" and "he"?

As regards the caps thing-didn't really put that much thought in to it! If it Satan/satan that tempts people away from God/god what happens if you don't believe in Satan/satan either?

Advertisement