Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

nerd69 wrote: »
    how many of these sports journalists would be earning the money they do without the players
    I've yet to see a stadium fill up to view the journalists in their press box.
    The media needs the players/coaches far more than the players/coaches needing the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

The media needs the players/coaches far more than the players/coaches needing the media.

And the NFL of all sports allows more access to players than any other really, and get more than just the usual soundbytes you get with the likes of soccer. The media might help make players more money but there would be a ton of writers etc without a job if players just sat there with the basic rehearsed responses every week. At least they aren't afraid to speak their minds and give an opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,670 ✭✭✭nerd69

both need each other its not a one way street and there is no reason for it to be an us vs them mentality.

by the way apparently lynch does what he does because a journalist misquoted him in college if thats the case it was minimum 8 years ago he needs to move along and just say his few worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,011 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I think the benefit is mutual between the media and the athletes, in theory, but the pendulum has swung toward the media in recent years. In the beginning, the NFL needed coverage in print media and live radio and TV game coverage to embed itself as a major component of American culture. But nowadays, the sport must provide enough content to prop up 24-hour TV networks, daily print media, hourly online media, blogs, podcasts, etc. The industry now living off the sport is far greater than the sport itself, and a consequence of that is the competitiveness amongst writers to come up with novel, interesting content to stand out from the white noise. And this can sometimes involve twisting players' words, attacking players for certain things, furthering agendas etc. etc.

So in a way, Lynch's 'protest' against the media could be framed as a reality check - players need the media but not so much of the media that every player must speak to every organisation after every game and at every sanctioned media event, if they would rather stay out of the public eye.

However, this would be to take his 'protest' at face value. As someone eluded to earlier, there is no question that he is now one of the most famous and spoken about running-backs in the league, on the back of this campaign to never talk to the media. Whether that was his intention all along is anyone's guess, but I wouldn't rule it out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

tbh one of the things that got me into NFL initially was the wide ranging coverage any and every story was covered, but after a while it burns you out and that is coming from a small team fan.

There are 3 beat writers for the Titans and in fairness they are pretty normal, they dont write too many showbiz articles, however i imagine that would change if the Titans became successful, off the back of any success you'd imagine there would be a proliferation of beat writers aswell. But at this point Neil i think you are correct with all of the network time given to NFL, College ball any hint of a story is jumped on by the media at large.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Deco99 wrote: »
    This is exactly what those saying you were cribbing said those fines were for. So you're backing up the counter argument?

A lot of very touchy people around here... Maybe Ironic was too strong a word-I was really only pointing out those who had been fined the most for breaking the rules- no argument or cribbing. Maybe I found it funny rather than ironic... yeah it was funny.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    As someone eluded to earlier, there is no question that he is now one of the most famous and spoken about running-backs in the league, on the back of this campaign to never talk to the media. Whether that was his intention all along is anyone's guess, but I wouldn't rule it out.

well if it was he's a marketing genius apparently he's getting big bucks for the two ads he's doing that directly reference his interviews

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Has anyone been watching the "Greatest games in the history of the NFL" series on Sky this week.

They are really well put together and have covered some absolutely classic games.

Ones I've seen included Miami v Oakland, not sure of the year, mid-late 70's I'd guess, Baltimore v Jets (Superbowl 3), Dallas v San Francisco (1981 Championship Game). I've also recorded but not yet watched the 58 Championship game, Baltimore v NY Giants, referred to as the greatest game ever played.

As I said they are really well put together, the show lasts over an hour and the plays are interspersed with interviews from the players and coaches. Check them out if you get a chance.

For the 49ers one I'd seen the catch dozens of times and the drive leading up to it, but didn't realise what a crazy game it was. 9 turnovers in total and the Cowboys had a great chance to get in FG range at the end.

Well worth a watch if you get a chance.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

yeah ive sent a few up to record, going to watch some over the weekend and then monday as ive the day off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Provides a bit of insight for Lynch's attitude towards people he doesn't know and trust

Only 15 minutes so a short watch

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Wonder how much is true, but I'm a natural sceptic. Regardless, he probably had to release something like that for the sake of his career.

Very interesting read , as you say, Heli.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,057 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Anyone see that documentary The Immaculate Reception that was aired on Sky during the week? Absolutely mental, thoroughly interesting and insightful. It's crazy how it still divides opinions some 43 years on. Only the Americans can make sport so dramatic!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,011 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I guess it all hinges on how clear the NFL made the timespan of the substance abuse program to Gordon, and whether it applied to the offseason. Fitting that this should get brought up here in light of the discussion on media frenzy - it certainly appears as though many 'analysts' went a bit OTT with their response.

nerd69 wrote: »
    both need each other its not a one way street and there is no reason for it to be an us vs them mentality.
    The media needs them more; but it's all a money game anyway.

The vast fortune in the game is a result of many factors, and the media is one.
    But the money that they media make is on the back of the players and coaches.

Lynch's case is a very rare one; but the media surround him, and despite saying very little, it still makes headlines.

Knex. wrote: »
    Wonder how much is true, but I'm a natural sceptic. Regardless, he probably had to release something like that for the sake of his career.

Very interesting read , as you say, Heli.

interesting read but i would be in the same boat as you the 2nd hand smoke line seems like a cop out to me and the fact that as well as "2nd hand smoke" he was only .01 over the legal limit it just all seems like he is an excuse maker (for example i have a friend who claims admits her son failed 4 college exams but claims he failed all of them by 1 percent it just does not seem realistic) but in fairness we have no proof to the contrary so its hard to out and out state otherwise unless the league brings out proof to the contrary

The media needs them more...

I think without the NFL the media just fill tv schedules and papers with other news, other sports, politics, entertainment etc. Much of the media in Europe gets by fine without ever mentioning the NFL.

But I think without the media to show games, to fill newspapers with analysis, to advertise and hype up the sport, the NFL is a much smaller and poorer sport, with much less advertising revenue, interest etc.

I think Lynch could show more respect for the goose that lays golden eggs for those cleats and grills.

Much of the media in Europe gets by fine without ever mentioning the NFL.
    Yes. They cover the PL, La Liga, Serie A, Champions League....
    But I think without the media to show games, to fill newspapers with analysis, to advertise and hype up the sport, the NFL is a much smaller and poorer sport, with much less advertising revenue, interest etc.
    Some of the media is required, there's no doubting that.
    I think Lynch could show more respect for the goose that lays golden eggs for those cleats and grills.
    Despite his actions, he made the main report for NFL.com and ESPN.com; so he's still laying golden eggs for others.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

He just has a very unique way of looking for attention. Reporters should just ignore his antics rather than paying him so much attention which just seems to encourage him.

adrian522 wrote: »
    He just has a very unique way of looking for attention. Reporters should just ignore his antics rather than paying him so much attention which just seems to encourage him.
    Could be true; his beast Mode Cap could land him with a fine.
    I'd imagine he didn't mind having that advertised for free :)

• Advertisement

Could be true; his beast Mode Cap could land him with a fine.
    I'd imagine he didn't mind having that advertised for free :)

damn right he will make wayyyyyy more money than he gets fined

Yes. They cover the PL, La Liga, Serie A, Champions League...

True.

And when was the last time a person required to appear before the media, as they are also obliged to do, was just so rude as to shrug their shoulders and say they were killing time? Even those who claim antipathy to the media, such as Ferguson or Roy Keane, still turn on the soundbites for the cameras when required.

It's kinda part of the deal, as I said if the player is so set against it why sign up to a sport where it's built into the contract? Oh yeah, because they don't want their principals on the media and the point they want to make stand between them and the millions they make...in a large way because of that media.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭Guffy

True.

And when was the last time a person required to appear before the media, as they are also obliged to do, was just so rude as to shrug their shoulders and say they were killing time? Even those who claim antipathy to the media, such as Ferguson or Roy Keane, still turn on the soundbites for the cameras when required.

It's kinda part of the deal, as I said if the player is so set against it why sign up to a sport where it's built into the contract? Oh yeah, because they don't want their principals on the media and the point they want to make stand between them and the millions they make...in a large way because of that media.

Aren't post and pre match press conferences obligatory?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Well's here Gronk and Lynch playing some Mortal Kombat

And when was the last time a person required to appear before the media, as they are also obliged to do, was just so rude as to shrug their shoulders and say they were killing time?
    Well actually, you mentioned him. Alex Ferguson failed to turn up for obligatory BBC interviews for years and just took the fine.
    They sign the deal for the money. Simple as that.

The media plays it's part, but I think you're over stating the value some of these guys make.
    Some aspects of the media are required, i.e. the TV coverage. But some of the guys asking the same questions over and over add little to the NFL coffers.

Well actually, you mentioned him. Alex Ferguson failed to turn up for obligatory BBC interviews for years and just took the fine.

Afair, he ignored them but then again it wasn't compulsory. Later, it became compulsory and he took the fines once or twice, and then ended his exile.
    They sign the deal for the money. Simple as that.

The media plays it's part, but I think you're over stating the value some of these guys make.
    Some aspects of the media are required, i.e. the TV coverage. But some of the guys asking the same questions over and over add little to the NFL coffers.

But they can't "just take the money". They sign up to the deal, warts and all, bound by rules and obligations, these include commercial obligations to feed the machine that pays them so well. If all television companies withdrew their support, and franchises had to fall back on attendances to generate revenue, bet he'd have more respect for their role in his millions. And part of the tv deals, the sponsorship, is access to players and coverage. The players don't get to decide that it's just game time that should interest the media.

imo if he's taking money from a company he should be giving a functional interview

• Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭Guffy

Jimmy Kimmel solves deflategate by identifying the locker room guy

Afair, he ignored them but then again it wasn't compulsory. Later, it became compulsory and he took the fines once or twice, and then ended his exile.
    It went on a for a few years when it was compulsory.
    But they can't "just take the money".
    In Lynch's case it appears that he can.
    But maybe he's ok with some of the fines.
    If all television companies withdrew their support, and franchises had to fall back on attendances to generate revenue, bet he'd have more respect for their role in his millions.
    He probably should trot out some lines and just give a few answers.

But it has nothing to do with respect, the media aren't in it to help the players out from the goodness of their own heart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Golden Tate is on Soccer AM tomorrow morning.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement