Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Best story I've heard all day......a prison inmate in Colorado is sueing the NFL for $88,987,654,321.88 for overturning Dez Bryant's catch in the divisional round. For those who don't want the headache of counting, that's just shy of $89 BILLION

• Registered Users Posts: 10,856 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Best story I've heard all day......a prison inmate in Colorado is sueing the NFL for $88,987,654,321.88 for overturning Dez Bryant's catch in the divisional round. For those who don't want the headache of counting, that's just shy of $89 BILLION

How did he arrive at such a specific figure? 88 cents?

How did he arrive at such a specific figure? 88 cents?

No doubt because of Bryant's number....if you notice, the dollar amount is 88-987654321-88

• Registered Users Posts: 10,856 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

No doubt because of Bryant's number....if you notice, the dollar amount is 88-987654321-88

I like the chances of this guy winning his case.

I like the chances of this guy winning his case.

About as good a chance as the Colts have of replacing the Pats in the superbowl :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Not sure how much interest there is outside of SF fans but NFL Network will air "Bill Walsh: A Football Life" tonight. Hopefully sky will pick it up but if not it should up on the usual sites.

Personally I can't wait, Walsh brought so much to the NFL and the NFL network have done a great job on these documentaries. Anyway I think it will be well worth a watch.

B8DC3iMCQAIQjvr.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

gotta love Johnny Football...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12216266/cleveland-browns-quarterback-johnny-manziel-struggled-commitment-preparation-sources-said

Interviews by ESPN.com with nearly 20 Browns sources, both on the record and on condition of anonymity, along with several NFL personnel sources reveal the Manziel-related problems run deep.

Those who spoke talked of a yearlong pattern that showed a lack of commitment and preparation, a failure to be ready when given a chance in his first start against Cincinnati and a continued commitment to nightlife, which affected his preparation and work while in the team facility.

s one player put it, Manziel throughout the entire 2014 season was a "100 percent joke."
    Some said it should not have been a surprise, that the Browns were well aware what they were getting.

"During the draft process, not one person interviewed by the team said he was going to grow up," said one source directly involved in the drafting of Manziel. "You can't blame Johnny. This is who he is. The team knew that."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

I'm a huge Manziel fan, and I often struggle to separate college achievements from the pros mainly because when someone entertains you as much as Manziel did in college and you witness such incredible play, I always cut them some slack on red flags entering the league.

But he has been a train wreck. And the "you can't blame Manziel, it's who he is" line is bull. Of course you can blame him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

Josh Gordon fails another drugs test. Gone for a year now. Some people never learn.

Adam Schefter with the report on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Just saw it, what a fool!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Absolutely moronic! After all the talk of wanting to come back and prove himself on the fields.

Really makes you wonder whether Cleveland sports are cursed when stuff like this continues to happen!!

Absolutely moronic! After all the talk of wanting to come back and prove himself on the fields.

Really makes you wonder whether Cleveland sports are cursed when stuff like this continues to happen!!

Certainly not. If you draft people who are dumb then don't be surprised when those people do dumb things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

For a time they looked like geniuses for taking him in the supplemental draft

But he went in the supplemental draft for a reason

My Ravens also looked like geniuses for taking left tackle Jared Gaither and that blew up in failure eventually

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

apparently he tested for positive for alcohol not weed?

phatkev wrote: »
    apparently he tested for positive for alcohol not weed?

If you get done for DUI(Brown was) then you're expected to remain off alcohol and will be tested for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

Aaron Hernandez/Odin Llyod trail has jury selected and starts Thursday.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/26/aaron-hernandez-jury-seated-trial-starts-thursday/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,829 ✭✭✭nerd69

what do ye think about the josh gordon do you think he will have a team to play with once he comes back?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

interesting.. wont distract the Pats from the SB, but you think they may have moved it a few days anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

nerd69 wrote: »
    what do ye think about the josh gordon do you think he will have a team to play with once he comes back?

with his talent?..... absolutely no question.

poldebruin wrote: »
    with his talent?..... absolutely no question.

well his browns contract is done so itl be interesting what a team would be willing to pay

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Could be the modern day Chris Carter?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

nerd69 wrote: »

I would say yes if he comes back in shape, but a year out of the game with his history I wouldn't be backing him to bounce back. Pity really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

tang1 wrote: »

Chris Carter murdered multiple people?

*funny when completely separate conversations are in the same thread

tang1 wrote: »

you would hope so he's an outstanding talent it would be nice to see him cop on a bit
    HigginsJ wrote: »
    I would say yes if he comes back in shape, but a year out of the game with his history I wouldn't be backing him to bounce back. Pity really.

if its just being out of shape he could get back in that in year two back if not year one. the real fear is if you take a chance on him he has shown himself to be completely unable to resist temptation at least to date

• Registered Users Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭Guffy

I just don't get this. He tested positive for alcohol in the off season. So what? I know the rules say no substance but it's the off season, for the browns anyway.

Was it a random screening?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

gufc21 wrote: »
    I just don't get this. He tested positive for alcohol in the off season. So what? I know the rules say no substance but it's the off season, for the browns anyway.

Was it a random screening?

It's linked with his DUI charge that he got a few months ago. Due to that he comes under a list of players who are required to remain sober.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

"During the draft process, not one person interviewed by the team said he was going to grow up," said one source directly involved in the drafting of Manziel. "You can't blame Johnny. This is who he is. The team knew that."

I think whoever said this is talking nonsense, as are the people who say 'you can't blame Johnny'. When Mike Zimmer was interviewing him, he said (along the lines of)..''ive been waiting my whole life for the chance to be a head coach, how can I trust you that if I draft you you won't screw it up for me'. To which he was given the usual lines of 'im ready', 'ill work my ass of for you', 'you wont regret it, ive waited my whole life for this too' yada yada.

Zimmer doesnt seem an easy man to please, especially with regards to professionalism if the season just gone is anything to go by. But Manziel convinced him enough for him to agree to an attempted trade up to 26. Thank christ it didnt work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

The list is out, looks like the Colts top the list with $4m worth of fines which is ironic given what has gone on recently.

(The Pats finished 16th)

1. Indianapolis Colts: $4.02 million
    2. Arizona Cardinals: $3.05 million
    3. Baltimore Ravens: $2.74 million
    4. Miami Dolphins: $2.54 million
    5. San Francisco 49ers: $2.52 million
    6. Denver Broncos: $1.89 million
    7. Philadelphia Eagles: $1.24 million
    8. Washington Redskins: $1.13 million
    9.Kansas City Chiefs: $1.02 million
    10. Carolina Panthers: $743,565

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Vanolder wrote: »
    The list is out, looks like the Colts top the list with $4m worth of fines which is ironic given what has gone on recently.

(The Pats finished 16th)

1. Indianapolis Colts: $4.02 million
    2. Arizona Cardinals: $3.05 million
    3. Baltimore Ravens: $2.74 million
    4. Miami Dolphins: $2.54 million
    5. San Francisco 49ers: $2.52 million
    6. Denver Broncos: $1.89 million
    7. Philadelphia Eagles: $1.24 million
    8. Washington Redskins: $1.13 million
    9.Kansas City Chiefs: $1.02 million
    10. Carolina Panthers: $743,565

Is there really a need for that dig?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Raf32 wrote: »
    Is there really a need for that dig?

Those fines are nothing to do with cheating, they include everything from excessive celebrations to hits to the helmet, to uniform violations etc.

It's really got nothing to do with accusations of cheating. So it's actually not ironic at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement