Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

zDcF724.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Knex. wrote: »
    Just reading Linval Joseph was shot in the calf by a 'stray bullet', in a night club on Saturday. What the hell.

Vikings saying he'll be back by Week 1, but that is mad.

Edit: Reading up on it, and it seems 9 people were injured.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/09/minnesota-vikings-defensive-tackle-linval-joseph-shot-in-nightclub

He was a complete innocent bystander by all accounts. Hope he bounces back quickly as he is a superb player

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Just reading Linval Joseph was shot in the calf by a 'stray bullet', in a night club on Saturday. What the hell.

Vikings saying he'll be back by Week 1, but that is mad.

Edit: Reading up on it, and it seems 9 people were injured.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/09/minnesota-vikings-defensive-tackle-linval-joseph-shot-in-nightclub

As John Harbaugh said after Jacoby Jones was attacked by a stripper on a party bus last year - nothing good happens after midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Mannings being weird

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

kmart6 wrote: »

See the previous page buddy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,677 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Maybe someone might know the answer but has there been some rule change or at the least a re-emphasis on rules on the O-line ?

I've watched the eagles and bears game and there was a load of flags thrown for holding. I mean holding has always happened and we all know of the dark arts of the O-line.

Games are going to be soooooooo long next season with all the stop-starts:

45d55623e9004d0032ed4e1404114697.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭nerd69

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Maybe someone might know the answer but has there been some rule change or at the least a re-emphasis on rules on the O-line ?

I've watched the eagles and bears game and there was a load of flags thrown for holding. I mean holding has always happened and we all know of the dark arts of the O-line.

to be honest most of them where legitimate calls. because the o-line have to work as a group it can take them a game or two to get together I'm not to worried by it to be honest.

what supprised me was how the refs actually called the dbs for pass interferance that could spell serious trouble for the eagles ,seahawks and any other team that has gone the big db route.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

This could be a blowback on the amount of people (rightfully) calling for the seahawks to be called.

The mentality of not calling fould because it ruins the momentum of the game to me is a crazy one. You want momentum in a game to be good?? don't constantly foul

Paully D wrote: »
    Games are going to be soooooooo long next season with all the stop-starts:

45d55623e9004d0032ed4e1404114697.png

beat me to it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

See the previous page buddy!
    That's strange, didn't press post on that and closed the tab earlier, weird.

any other eagles fans get way over excited about ifeanyi momah again now that he can actually catch the ball

• Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Itssoeasy wrote: »

From the excellent MMQB site....

"The league wants defensive players to have hands off after the five-yard bump zone at the line of scrimmage, and to not hold or grab at all. Rest assured it won’t be called as closely in week one of the regular season as it was over the weekend; the theory is players will get used to the new strictures and will stop all the clutching and grabbing mostly naturally. Back to the numbers: There were 37 illegal contact penalties all of last regular season; there have been 27 in the first 17 preseason games. There were 171 defensive holds calls. So far this preseason, 53 defensive holds have been whistled. The Bills have their defenders practicing with boxing gloves; St. Louis defensive backs take the field in scrimmage holding tennis balls, so they’re tempted to not grab. I’m told the league plans to officiate tight in the preseason, but I cannot imagine the same ticky-tack stuff being called once the regular games start. We’ll see."

:D

YzeB0gG.jpg

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/13/nfl-should-be-alarmed-by-cowboys-raiders-brawl/
    On Saturday, Ravens coach John Harbaugh suggested that the media engage in a “self-check” when reporting on training-camp fights. Not many “self-checks” occurred on the practice field Tuesday in California, when the Cowboys and Raiders launched into a full-blown brawl.

I read that and i presume it was a serious incident but looking at the video:

http://www.nbcdfw.com/video/#!/blogs/blue-star/Cowboys--Raiders-Fight-During-Scrimmage/271011101

Nothing but handbags between the players and then some scumbag fans (who are allowed to stand too close to the players) who thought they were tough men trying to hit a cowboys player who wasn't even looking at them. I didn't see the Cowboys' player do anything wrong but defend himself very reservedly.

Media hyperbole at its finest.

Just when you wouldn't think the competition for the starting QB of the Cleveland Browns couldn't get any hotter...Browns go ahead and sign the Sex Cannon

129.jpg

Johnny Football who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The original RGIII :cool:

Thigpen got cut. He was the starter for Pittsburgh and Joe Flacco had to transfer to Delaware just to get playing time.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Steve Tisch, co owner of the Giants, just challenged Katy Perry to the ice bucket challenge after taking it himself on NFL AM.

Hon Tischy, taking one for the lads! :D

Steve Tisch, co owner of the Giants, just challenged Katy Perry to the ice bucket challenge after taking it himself on NFL AM.

Oooooooooo he must have missed out on the neck nominations and the no make up selfie crazes!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,677 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So I see the raiders owner mark Davis hasn't and has no intention to sign a deal to keep the raiders in Oakland next season.

Could we have pro football back in the coliseum next year ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

"This video is not available in your country"

Yet the ****ing stupid Dominos hot-spongecake-with-cheese-and-sugary-tomato-sauce ad before it was perfectly fine for them to show me. What absolute b*llocks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

what country are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Billy86 wrote: »
    "This video is not available in your country"

Yet the ****ing stupid Dominos hot-spongecake-with-cheese-and-sugary-tomato-sauce ad before it was perfectly fine for them to show me. What absolute b*llocks.
    what country are you in?

On your phone/tablet?

Actually noticed that myself - wouldn't load on my phone but playing the 30 second add had no problems. Works just grand on the desktop though.

Titans are the fastest team in the NFL apparently

http://grantland.com/features/fastest-teams-nfl/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Titans are the fastest team in the NFL apparently

http://grantland.com/features/fastest-teams-nfl/

Doesn't seem to be much of a correlation between speed and success though :)

Apparently Stephen Jones Vice president of the Cowboys and son of Jerry Jones had to grab a draft card with Manziels name on it from his Dad in order to pick Zack Martin.
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2167140-jerry-jones-had-manziel-draft-card-snatched-out-of-his-hands

Apparently Stephen Jones Vice president of the Cowboys and son of Jerry Jones had to grab a draft card with Manziels name on it from his Dad in order to pick Zack Martin.
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2167140-jerry-jones-had-manziel-draft-card-snatched-out-of-his-hands

It's true. Jerry confirmed as much himself. From CBS:
    I want you to know that almost as I was handing in the card, it was that close to putting that Manziel card in. It was that close,” Jones said told NFL Network. "I looked over to my son, Stephen, our chief executive officer, and I said 'I took the right pick..' He was the top player by three players on our board at the time that we were sitting there looking at him."

The only part Jerry Jones left out in his story was the snatching part, but that's understandable, because no one wants to talk about their son undermining them by snatching something away.

• Advertisement

Darnell dockett does his acl, big loss for the cards

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement