Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Actually, Flacco and Eli, in terms of compensating for their OL's incompetency, were fairly similar in their Super Bowl years.

Both then had similar seasons last year, when we saw the OL fail dramatically, and the run game die with it.

Might be something to that, if the run game is still good, even if pass protection sucks, good QB's will be fine.

Literally just musing here without thinking a whole pile on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Masked Man wrote: »
    I actually think that deal makes sense. Never heard of the guy but he's supposed to be one of the best LTs in the game, and the salary cap is going to increase over the course of the contract.

To be fair Smith is a smashing LT and will be one of the leagues best in no time but great LT's don't make playoff teams. Joe Thomas & Jake Long have been as good as it gets and have brought no success to their respective franchises.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

HigginsJ wrote: »
    To be fair Smith is a smashing LT and will be one of the leagues best in no time but great LT's don't make playoff teams. Joe Thomas & Jake Long have been as good as it gets and have brought no success to their respective franchises.

But that's the case for so many greats outside the quarterback. Would you really let a Watt, Quinn or Wilkerson walk because you haven't yet struck on the franchise quarterback?

There's plenty of scope for franchises to give decent money to stars outside quarterbacks while staying within the cap. There are some huge contracts on recent super-bowl rosters showing this. That a Cleveland couldn't find the quarterback to take them to the next level doesn't mean Joe Thomas wasn't worth every cent.

And Smith is a star. Jones has destroyed the roster but I think that's a very decent deal for Dallas, especially for someone so young.

SameOleJay wrote: »
    But that's the case for so many greats outside the quarterback. Would you really let a Watt, Quinn or Wilkerson walk because you haven't yet struck on the franchise quarterback?

There's plenty of scope for franchises to give decent money to stars outside quarterbacks while staying within the cap. There are some huge contracts on recent super-bowl rosters showing this. That a Cleveland couldn't find the quarterback to take them to the next level doesn't mean Joe Thomas wasn't worth every cent.

And Smith is a star. Jones has destroyed the roster but I think that's a very decent deal for Dallas, especially for someone so young.

Ridiculous as it might sound I would argue Thomas was a waste of money. The Browns have been terrible since Thomas has been with them. They would not have been appreciably much worse with most other LT's in the league. It is not his fault they never made the playoffs but LT is not a position to elevate a team.

You mention Watt, Quinn & Wilkerson and this is the one position I would not hesitate to pay outside of QB's. Great pass rushers can elevate a whole defense for me as they buy time for every other player on the D.

Paying LT's, CB's & WR's big bucks is not worth it IMO. I would stretch to $8 or $9 million for these positions but I would baulk at any more than that. The money the likes of Larry Fitz, Megatron, AP, Sherman, Haden & Thomas are on is money wasted for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,474 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Knex. wrote: »
    Delighted! :D

Already in Cap Hell with no Defence, an aging Romo, who still has a monster contract, and Dez Bryant yet to get his new deal.

Jerry Jones, I salute you, you crazy motherfucker.

Haha as an eagles fan you have to love jerry. You keep spending money jerry and you'll still finish 8-8 and not in the playoffs.:D :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭nerd69

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Ridiculous as it might sound I would argue Thomas was a waste of money. The Browns have been terrible since Thomas has been with them. They would not have been appreciably much worse with most other LT's in the league. It is not his fault they never made the playoffs but LT is not a position to elevate a team.

You mention Watt, Quinn & Wilkerson and this is the one position I would not hesitate to pay outside of QB's. Great pass rushers can elevate a whole defense for me as they buy time for every other player on the D.

Paying LT's, CB's & WR's big bucks is not worth it IMO. I would stretch to $8 or $9 million for these positions but I would baulk at any more than that. The money the likes of Larry Fitz, Megatron, AP, Sherman, Haden & Thomas are on is money wasted for me

its all relative though if you feel your qb is elite LT is automatically the 2nd most important position the problem is the browns and dolphins have not had that.

also an 8 year contract is always stupid
    Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Haha as an eagles fan you have to love jerry. You keep spending money jerry and you'll still finish 8-8 and not in the playoffs.:D :D

you and me both. every so often i get worried about the cowboys and then i read something like they've signed a 33 year old tony romo to a new long term deal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

also an 8 year contract is always stupid

idk 40 million is guaranteed with 32 of that in the first three years of the extension. They have a great LT locked up for the next ten years, and it seems like they can cut him pretty easily after the 2018 season. Looks kinda team friendly to me, and there's a few articles saying he took less than people expected because he likes the cowboys.

It's also possible that within a few years this won't be the very top end of LT contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Browns always have a load of cap room. Absolutely no downside to paying Joe Thomas a lot. Jared Allen and Demarcus Ware have played on some awful defenses while having good seasons but there's still no doubting the importance of a top pass rusher to the defense and the same logic should be used on offense. Right hand side of the Browns line often hasn't been up to much for most of his time there which negates Thomas a bit. I think it's a bit crazy to say LTs can be a waste of money if you pay them top dollar. Eyebrows are always raised when the Cowboys sign a contract because they've been a bit of a shambles in cap management but in general you've got to get top players into your team and try to keep them.

marcus mariota is only taking two classes this year....... yoga and golf

its a tough life

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Misremember the Titans

I'd say pretty much all of us have seen Remember the Titans

Here is a pretty long but interesting read about Coach Boone who was played by Denzil Washington. Turns out the film wasn't accurate at all but that's ok, well it's Hollywood after all.

Coach Boone was sacked from the team a few years later. He turned himself into a public speaker after the film came out and makes a lot of claims for actions that never happened.

Seems the locals and some ex players despise him and the film. Some write to every organisation that books Coach Boone to tell them not to invite him

I thought it was interesting anyway. You can make up your own mind afterwards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Misremember the Titans

I'd say pretty much all of us have seen Remember the Titans

Here is a pretty long but interesting read about Coach Boone who was played by Denzil Washington. Turns out the film wasn't accurate at all but that's ok, well it's Hollywood after all.

Coach Boone was sacked from the team a few years later. He turned himself into a public speaker after the film came out and makes a lot of claims for actions that never happened.

Seems the locals and some ex players despise him and the film. Some write to every organisation that books Coach Boone to tell them not to invite him

I thought it was interesting anyway. You can make up your own mind afterwards :)
    Had heard that! Also heard The Hurricane is mostly made up! Maybe it's Denzel Washington that's not trustworthy??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

Nice article over on Football Ousiders as to whether Kurt Warner Hall of Fame-worthy?

I think he is an interesting case - and I can see him struggling to get in as a first ballot HOFer, but I think I would like to see him get in based on some absolutely amazing games, post season performances and multiple MVP awards.

poldebruin wrote: »
    Nice article over on Football Ousiders as to whether Kurt Warner Hall of Fame-worthy?

I think he is an interesting case - and I can see him struggling to get in as a first ballot HOFer, but I think I would like to see him get in based on some absolutely amazing games, post season performances and multiple MVP awards.

i think he will get in but they definitely won't give him first ballot. he was a great player probably one of the hardest qbs to sack that iv seen play

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I'm a big Warner fan, but not sure if he will get in. As you say, it definitely won't be first ballot.

Even your own Eagle's McNabb, could a case could be built for him having a better career in the NFL? No Super Bowl is a killer for him, but should it really be? I do think Warner was better, but its not a clear cut as I would have perhaps thought before.

I mean, the common argument, Eli is not better than Peyton, despite being 2-1 up on him for Championships.

Knex. wrote: »
    I'm a big Warner fan, but not sure if he will get in. As you say, it definitely won't be first ballot.

Even your own Eagle's McNabb, could a case could be built for him having a better career in the NFL? No Super Bowl is a killer for him, but should it really be? I do think Warner was better, but its not a clear cut as I would have perhaps thought before.

I mean, the common argument, Eli is not better than Peyton, despite being 2-1 up on him for Championships.

i think mcnabb is far better than eli to be honest he really tapered off in his last few season but when he was younger he was awesome. but your right the lack of a Super Bowl will likely be held against him unfortunately.

with regards eli I'm not a fan at all i think he's been below average bar those two preseasons and iv never been worried about him in the regular season at all in fact romo scares me more than eli (unless its week 16-17 :D) but you have to hand it to him when push came to shove he was clutch as anybody in these postseason runs. when he retires i think he will get in due to the 2 sb argument and playing in nyc but again not first ballot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

nerd69 wrote: »
    i think mcnabb is far better than eli to be honest he really tapered off in his last few season but when he was younger he was awesome. but your right the lack of a Super Bowl will likely be held against him unfortunately.

I agree, the Championship game and Superbowl losses will be held against McNabb, and might be enough to keep him out of the Hall. Possibly a close run thing, similar to Warner, but I would put McNabb's candidancy behind Warner's.

On another note, the PAT rule change will be introduced for the first week of preseason games.

I hate the PAT, but dislike this rule change even more (granted, it's only a trial). Even if 90% are converted from the 23 yard line, it will still lead to an awful lot of games being decided by missed PATs. It remains to be seen what happens, maybe there will be unintended consequences, such as more teams going for 2 points, but to think a team could drive 80 yards for a touchdown, and not be able to celebrate when we have to wait for a 33 yard field goal to tie or win will ruin a lot of the fun for me.

I would rather see TD's being rewarded by 7 points (as they effectively are now)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

poldebruin wrote: »

Enjoyed that good read, one of my favourite ever QB's. He was stunning with the Rams for a few seasons and it's such a great story,

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

With preseason games starting next week, this is the last weekend we will be without football for a very long time.:)

67122_fresh-prince-drum-dance-o.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

With preseason games starting next week, this is the last weekend we will be without football for a very long time.:)

I'm gonna blow your mind here Corvus, but football starts back this weekend.

Giants and Bills are playing in the Hall of Fame game on Sunday :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Wait......what is this?
    I'm gonna blow your mind here Corvus, but football starts back this weekend.

68617_emrknjp.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 17,006 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Posted in the Seahawks thread already, but Schefter reporting that Lynch will return to camp, in exchange for 'financial concessions' to his contract, whatever that means.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭me89

67122_fresh-prince-drum-dance-o.gif

Tonight is the last Thursday night without football until Christmas. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Apparently the movie Draft Day is out now on Torrent sites. Disgusting behaviour that piracy stuff, so just posting this here so you can all actively avoid it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Yep seen it yesterday the torrent not the film

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000372537/article/cowboys-send-playoff-tickets-to-seasonticket-holders

Cowboys send out season tickets.. And play off tickets! Talk about hopeful

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000372537/article/cowboys-send-playoff-tickets-to-seasonticket-holders

Cowboys send out season tickets.. And play off tickets! Talk about hopeful

haaaaaaaa hahaha ****ing dallas could end up getting the number 1 overall pick in next years draft and there talking playoffs genuinely my least favourite team in any sport

haaaaaaaa hahaha ****ing dallas could end up getting the number 1 overall pick in next years draft and there talking playoffs genuinely my least favourite team in any sport

Jerry needs to keep them in the media's eye. Never miss a chance to make news & having one of the all time great choke artists at QB never goes astray

The fact your're an eagles fan has nothing to do with it then. ? Haha

• Advertisement

What do the dallas cowboys and the post office have in common ? They both don't deliver on Sundays.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement