Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭TheHeadhunter

eagle eye wrote: »
    Can you tell me why the Pats won't do anything this season? Details please, not just that the offense or defense has problems.

All i'm saying is that usually your offense and defense having problems is at the crux of an underperforming team.

And also poor coaching in going for it on 4th & 2 against the colts doesnt help.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,527 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I respond to where you quote me and you come back quoting the same post again. I don't know why I ever bother.

what i was saying is that you can't just ask him to ignore the offense and defensive issues the pats are having and go into details. there isn't much going wrong other than the offense and defensive issues.

what i was saying is that you can't just ask him to ignore the offense and defensive issues the pats are having and go into details. there isn't much going wrong other than the offense and defensive issues.
    I'll explain it clearly. I want him to go further than just mutter the words you have defensive and/or offensive issues, I want him to explain exactly where these problems are.
    He has come on here with an attitude, so lets see exactly what he knows about football or is he is actually just trolling.

Oh right you meant what specificlly within the offense and defensive issues, i thought you meant other than the offense and defensive problems. My bad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

if i may jump in...

defensive problems - lost too many important and experienced players in one go: seymour, vrabel, bruschi, harrison. not to mention they havent replaced hobbs & samuel.

offensive problems - can't run the ball. poor o-line play. most teams are STILL following the giants example from the superbowl on pressuring brady. he o-line cannot cope with said pressure. inconsistent play in general.

Well I was asking somebody else who hasn't shown any knowledge of the game to this point.
    I won't reply to you yet, lets give him some time to respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭_Buck Rogers

I think we will agree to disagree. See this here is why I love these forums. People debating back with solid debats rather than one liners. :D

Oh and I fixed that last line for you.:D

Boo hiss boo:P

Also eagle eye, read my posts in reponse to the debate brought forward by Tallaght. Will save me copying and pasting it all for your benefit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Chanandler Bong

eagle eye wrote: »
    Seeing as you are such a genius at telling the future, could you break down the playoffs for me and tell who is going to win those games and who will with the Confernce Championships and who will win the big game?

Can you tell me why the Pats won't do anything this season? Details please, not just that the offense or defense has problems.

Did everyone hear that?, from now on there will be no predictions of any kind on this forum! On pain of some Eagle-Eye brand ridicule, Comprende?
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭_Buck Rogers

I'm not going into detail here eagle eye, because if there is one thing I hate its someone who types out a one liner and exepects a thesis as a reply. You put no effort into your argument so why should I? Have you 2000 posts of one liners?

Reason 1 ; the pats ran out of time, early losses to teams etc and there isn't enough matches left to make up for it.

Reason 2 ; Loss of players, rookies and younger players not up to scratch this season ( might be a diff story next season ), frailties in many positions, secondary, OL etc.

Eagle eye you dont have to agree with me, this is my opinion, however i believe its a very good opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭yerayeah

Let's face it, nobody will fancy NE in the playoffs. With an us against the world mentality after being so widely written off I think they could be very dangerous. I definitely would rather the Broncos face the jags in the wild card anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

My 2c... I would never discount the Pats EVER ..... EVER!!!!

Who gave them a chance in 2001? This is Tom Brady and BB lads, and there's nobody in the league those two can't conceivably beat.

Randy Moss seems to be taking a bit of a tongue-lashing in the media, for his non-performance last night. Any worries about him, Pats fans?

I really don't get where all this Moss stuff is coming from, the man is 6th in the NFL on the season with over 1000yds and tied 4th on touchdowns for WRs with 9 one behind the leaders on 10. Oh and that means he is second on his team in yardage behind Wes Welker.

Just compare him to Reggie Wayne, he has 4 yds less receiving and they are equal on tds. I don't hear anybody giving out about Wayne, and I would be shocked if they were, just like I'm shocked at all this nonsense about Randy.

In fairness, it's more his attitude than his numbers that seems to be ringing alarm bells. Moss' body language seemed to suggest he wasn't 100% happy with things. On top of being late for training this week.

You're probably right, it's probably a storm in a teacup, but the guy has previous. And 6 receptions in the last 3 games, coupled with a ? over his recent attitude, could mean a bumpy ride for the Pats over the next few weeks.

The situation isn't really the same with Wayne, as there's nothing to suggest he's unhappy. If there was, I'd be less comfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭ArmCandyBaby

A piece from the Peter King column today irritated me a bit:

My Sirius partner, Randy Cross, on the $65,000 in fines Chad Ochocinco has accumulated this year for his pranky stuff: "Wouldn't it be smart if he took $30,000 and, oh, I don't know, bought winter coats for 1,000 kids in Cincinnati? Can't he find a better use for that money than continue to hand it to the league?''

Am I wrong in thinking that all the fine money the NFL collects IS given to charity? If I am then fair enough, they have a point but otherwise I think its a fairly disgraceful comment to make. He's effectively volunteered $65000 to charity yet they're deriding him because he doesn't go on Oprah to be lauded like Andy Garcia in Oceans 13.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

My Sirius partner, Randy Cross, on the $65,000 in fines Chad Ochocinco has accumulated this year for his pranky stuff: "Wouldn't it be smart if he took $30,000 and, oh, I don't know, bought winter coats for 1,000 kids in Cincinnati? Can't he find a better use for that money than continue to hand it to the league?''

Am I wrong in thinking that all the fine money the NFL collects IS given to charity? If I am then fair enough, they have a point but otherwise I think its a fairly disgraceful comment to make. He's effectively volunteered $65000 to charity yet they're deriding him because he doesn't go on Oprah to be lauded like Andy Garcia in Oceans 13.

What an ignorant piece Peter King wrote. Chad Ochocinco has donated to many charities own his own behalf anyways. He had a charity back in 2007 called Feed the Children which he ran with help from Yahoo. And you are right the NFL donates a high proportion of all its fines to Charities also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

All fines are donated to a charity in the player's city.

Ya I'm losing a lot of respect for Peter King, i used to read his MMQB article religously every week but now i barely scan through it.

davyjose wrote: »
    In fairness, it's more his attitude than his numbers that seems to be ringing alarm bells. Moss' body language seemed to suggest he wasn't 100% happy with things. On top of being late for training this week.

You're probably right, it's probably a storm in a teacup, but the guy has previous. And 6 receptions in the last 3 games, coupled with a ? over his recent attitude, could mean a bumpy ride for the Pats over the next few weeks.

The situation isn't really the same with Wayne, as there's nothing to suggest he's unhappy. If there was, I'd be less comfortable.
    See the thing is that Randy has always had the same body language, the only time his mood changes is when he is holding the ball in the end zone.

Imo the media are just focusing in on the Patriots right now and a few minor things that have happened have been leaked to the media. It came out now that the leak was Adalius Thomas. He has been a big problem this year, not performing on the field and now this. Anyways back to the media, they are ready and willing and a lot maybe hoping to call this the end of the Patriots as a dominant force in the NFL. Thats what the vultures of espn and their ilk live for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

davyjose wrote: »

He's under much more scruitiny than Wayne for instance. Moss probably has done some things wrong (Game motivations/being sent home etc.) and the media'll latch on to it whereas you never hear anything from Wayne and co. Patriots are 8-5, Colts are 12-0, the Patriots will always be looked at more in that case.

Over stats, I don't know what's up, he's faced Darrelle Revis who locked him up, that's when Moss started to go quiet, I think. But I don't know.

Patriots are already in a bumpy ride. They've been that way the last few weeks. I'm just hoping we'll ride it out and finish well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

WRT the FORWARD PASS rule in the NFL, I'd like to see 2 rules gotten rid of, just to spice things up :p :
    1. The passer must be behind his line of scrimmage (Loss of down and five yards, enforced from the spot of pass).
    2. An offensive team may make only one forward pass during each play from scrimmage (Loss of 5 yards).

I think Favre did it (no. 1) at the weekend but it is deemed a foul, boooo hoooo I say !!!!

Yup, he did. I wouldn't have minded, but he could have rushed to 1st down. Great pass it was though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

WRT the FORWARD PASS rule in the NFL, I'd like to see 2 rules gotten rid of, just to spice things up :p :
    1. The passer must be behind his line of scrimmage (Loss of down and five yards, enforced from the spot of pass).
    2. An offensive team may make only one forward pass during each play from scrimmage (Loss of 5 yards).

I think Favre did it (no. 1) at the weekend but it is deemed a foul, boooo hoooo I say !!!!

Nah horrible idea. Could you imagine anyone being able to throw a ball forward. You wouldn't need a decent QB and the game would become sh1t very quickly. You will have every RB and WR and Vick types running for 10 yards and then offloading it. It will become a pussy sport very quickly with late hits and hurt people every where.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Fixed your post ! :p
    Great idea. Imagine anyone being able to throw a ball forward. You wouldn't need a decent QB and the game would become sh1t hot very quickly. You will have every RB and WR and Vick types running for 10 yards and then offloading it. It will become a great sport very quickly with late hits and hurt people every where. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

The NFL are a bunch of saps when it comes to celebrations and also hypocritical. They love the fact that Ocho gets upto that stuff, giving him plenty of time on NFL Network and the Red Zone Channel (as noted by TMQB on page 2 yesterday). They then fine him for just doing funny things.

I love how most people are on Chad's side now. A couple of years ago some people thought he was TO mark 2, I've always been a fan as some are on here of him, whilst the HoF jacket thing was incredibly arrogant it was also hilarious. His book looks great too.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭ArmCandyBaby

Here's a good article I read about this earlier in the year. Not much substance but it did give me a good chuckle!
    Walkthrough: Incomplete Education

by Mike Tanier

The NFL will soon crack down on end zone meta-brations.

Chad Ochocinco scored a first-quarter touchdown against the Browns last week, then headed toward the infamous Dawg Pound. Ochocinco leapt into the throng of socially maladjusted Browns fans a few years ago, but lineman Anthony Collins grabbed him this time. He bear-hugged the demonstrative receiver and appeared to warn him not to taunt the rowdy fans. Ochocinco complied and followed Collins to the sidelines.

After the game, Collins revealed that the whole scene was staged. Ochocinco never planned to leap into the Dawg Pound; he told Collins and the other linemen to grab him and make an elaborate show of stopping him. That means that the act of stopping the celebration was, in fact, the celebration. A meta-bration.

Ochocinco's meta-bration was clever and entertaining, which is why the league must stop anything like it from happening in the future.

The Ochocinco-Collins skit disobeys many of the league's end zone celebration rules. It was premeditated. It involved teammates. It had all the earmarks of an illicit celebration except the actual celebration. There's no way Roger Goodell will leave such a pesky loophole unfilled. Next year, the rulebook will include language like this:

Meta-brations: Any premeditated act of excessive celebration that involves the deliberate abstinence from excessive celebration will be penalized as if it is an actual excessive celebration: 15 yards on the ensuing kickoff.

Further language will prohibit second, third, or nth degree meta-brations: Teammates cannot prevent teammates from preventing other teammates from celebrating if such prevention appears designed to enhance the overall illusion of celebration prevention.

In this way, the league will completely eliminate subjectivity from officiating.

While deliberating on meta-brations, Goodell and his party posse will develop other rules to help curb the pandemic of spontaneous work-related pride that's eroding our society. The league will also outlaw:

Quasi-brations: Celebrations where the player crinkles his nose and half-heartedly spikes the ball. Quasi-brations cheapen the touchdown experience.

Retro-brations: Celebrations that pay homage to the Funky Bunch or Billy White Shoes Johnson, even if such celebrations somehow fall within the pinky-hold fissures in existing rules. End zone dancing has been around for 40 years, but that still doesn't make it right, dammit.

Gamma-brations: Celebrations involving the Hulk smashing puny humans. Actually, banning these is a good idea.

Anti-brations: Instances where the player hands the ball back to the referee with such nondescript humility that he calls attention to his own nondescript humility, thereby making us all feel guilty about our petty egos and provoking a shameful hatred of the player and his showy modesty.

Eventually, NFL psychologists will determine what level of enthusiasm is appropriate after scoring a touchdown. Youth players across America will then condition themselves to respond appropriately, starting at age 10. Spontaneity will be replaced by carefully-modulated displays of socially acceptable self-satisfaction. Creativity will be stifled in the name of narrowly-defined rules of sportsmanship.

It will be a glorious future. But not too glorious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Charlie Fyre has been named as starter for the Raiders game at Broncos. So JR has basically been dumped to 3rd string QB in a season he started as 1st stringer. What a failure.

I bet Losman'll get a couple of reps in the last few games too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Charlie Fyre has been named as starter for the Raiders game at Broncos. So JR has basically been dumped to 3rd string QB in a season he started as 1st stringer. What a failure.

Looks like he is going to surpass Leaf as biggest bust of all time.

That'll be some relief to us Charger fans after all the years of slagging about Leaf. :)

• Advertisement

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Looks like he is going to surpass Leaf as biggest bust of all time.

That'll be some relief to us Charger fans after all the years of slagging about Leaf. :)

I was unsure if he would when all the allegations were flying around about Russell, but now, the tide on him looks unstoppable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement