Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beware Ikea

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Canacourse wrote: »
    It does that they all work for Ikea..

I don't work for Ikea.:rolleyes:

I'm getting the impression you're an argumentative type of punter (from your posts here) who may have pissed of the customer serice agent you were dealing with. Maybe you have a lot to learn in life?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

:D Yah, we all work for Ikea here! Didn't you know that? :D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

How many times have you tried to bring anything back?

I bought two leather couches and a chaise from Ikea about ooh, three months ago I think.
    When I was assembling them I found that the leg frame did not fit the base of the couch.
    It took a few calls but they sent out a "furniture troubleshooter" who came out to my house and sorted the problem. Excellent customer service.

Oh, and I brought back a table which the OH decided she didn't want after all. They took it back without question.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

I've worked in retail for about 7 years now and the one thing i find that customers regularly don't understand is the fact that you do not have the right to a refund if you simoly change your mind. From Ikea's point of view the chair was fine. it was you that didn't take measurments for some reason.

Get over it and move on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Hello? wrote: »
    You might think a piece of furniture will compliment your decor only to find out when you get it home and assembled that it doesn't.

They provide pics on their website. Pics on their catalogue. Then when you go to the shop they show a sample there already assembled.

They go as far as providing measuring tapes.

How does anyone buy something from Ikea have any excuse for it not fitting or not looking right. You are not buying it blind :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭digital_d

Hi I've bought many items from IKEA in Belfast and Dublin, and i've had to return things on 3 occassions each has been fine

1) Laminate flooring - returned about 6 packs, a few had had the wrapping torn, Refund to the card given - No issue.

2) Bought a side table on impulse in the store as it was on clearence. I'd noted down the height to check it would fit when I got home. Got home, checked the space i wanted to put it in, decided it was bulkier than I thought. Returned it about 6 weeks later, refund no issue

3) Bought a blind, got home decided that it wasn't the best shade for my room, packaging was clear so I could see this without taking it out of the plastic box. Lost the reciept, returned it and I was given a gift card to the value of the refund

I've not had any issue, with any of my returns, even if packaging has been a bit damaged, or my reciept has gone astray

D

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Some of the parts where in shrink wrapped plastic other parts in boxes. The chair when back in the same package it came in. The chair when back in a saleable condition.

Would you have bought it if they gave it to you in previously opened boxes?

It's fairly standard practice to take back stuff only if it hasnt been opened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Do we. I best go claim the wages they owe me so and call for what hours i'm doing next week. I thought I was unemployed. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

This is all part in parcel with what IKEA is, good value furniture that does what it's supposed to do. If you want high quality furniture with a much higher likelihood of being able to return it if you change your mind and to see your value as a customer in more than a family card, then you're better off shopping elsewhere.

The staff in IKEA have always been more than helpful and friendly with some of the nightmare situations I've had in their stores, it's the business model that doesn't allow for exceptions.

IKEA is good value for the simple reason that all they basically do is sell boxes with contents and they sell them very well. If the contents are faulty or missing, you get a replacement box or a refund no problem. Their actions and policies are all above board and the very reason the item was the price it was in the first place and the very reason IKEA are as successful as they are is because of this. If they were to let you get a refund, they'd have to let millions of others too, or they could be done for discrimination and all sorts. They wont change their policy just for one customer. You get the boxes cheap, but there's a lot more to consider on top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Just as well the op didn't buy a kitchen from ikea.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    Just as well the op didn't buy a kitchen from ikea.:eek:

Or a toilet :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 gone_crazry

And IKEA even has measuring tapes all around the corner in the shop which they give to customers for free...and yet u managed to fail to get 1 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Squidgie

you don't even need a measuring tape in IKEA, the dimensions are wrote all over the box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 radkeex

Its not un-sellable at all. A product assembled is not used in my opinion. If the policy specifically mentioned assembled rather then used I wouldn't have had a problem with it. I asked few people if that would consider assembled furniture used (Without going into details) and they didn't but I guess people would have differing opinions on that.

Maybe its because I have returned opened but unused items to Argos (And other places) a few times in the past without any problems that I am so pissed off. The wording of the Argos & Ikea return policies are similar.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/StaticDisplay/includeName/ReturnsAndRefunds.htm

So You buy a product from Ikea but never take it out of the packaging you can return it. Sounds like a lame policy to me.

Would you as a customer, like to buy something that someone has already purchased and assembled, then returned?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

A product assembled is not used in my opinion.
    How exactly do you plan to prove that no one ever sat on this seat, thus rendering it "used"?
    Do you really expect us to believe that no one in your house sat on the chair even once when it was up against the table?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

The Consumer Agency agrees and are looking into it.

So what was the outcome of the Consumer Agency?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

I suspect that the Consumer Agency are too busy p***ing themselves laughing that they're too busy to reply.....

Canacourse.... I suspect that your original rant at IKEA had much more to do with being annoyed with yourself for not having the sense to measure the height of the item that the chair was supposed to match before you went to the store. It seems to me that you are in a very small minority here and your attempt to slag off IKEA has very much backfired. Have the good grace to accept that you've simply made a mistake.

In common with some of the other posters to this thread, I've also returned several items to IKEA in their original packing....simply changed my mind about them....and I was very pleasantly surprised by IKEA's customer service....so much so that although I was offered a cash refund, I chose a store credit instead which I have since used.

IMHO, IKEA's refunds policy is refreshingly simple and straightforward. Would that other retailers would follow suit.

E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Fabvin

Maybe in these difficult times if we all took a little time to look at Irish Companies and support them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Fabvin wrote: »
    Maybe in these difficult times if we all took a little time to look at Irish Companies and support them.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Fabvin wrote: »

While I agree with supporting indiginous Irish business how would that have prevented the OP making the mistake made already?

Do you think an Irish company would have a more lenient returns policy and refund flatpack furniture that was removed from its packaging, assembled then de-assembled because the customer failed to check it for size?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

dan1895 wrote: »
    I've worked in retail for about 7 years now and the one thing i find that customers regularly don't understand is the fact that you do not have the right to a refund if you simoly change your mind.

But if I were to go in to River Island today and buy a jumper, take it home, then decide I don't want it I could bring it back the next day and get a refund or store credit. I could even wear the jumper for a day for sh1ts and giggles before I bring it back. I'll still get a refund. Why is this situation different?

I would have to agree with the OP, their returns policy is misleading, where they say

"Return unused items in their original packaging within 90 days with your till receipt, for a full refund."

they should actually say:

"Return unassembled items in their original packaging within 90 days with your till receipt, for a full refund."

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

But if I were to go in to River Island today and buy a jumper, take it home, then decide I don't want it I could bring it back the next day and get a refund or store credit. I could even wear the jumper for a day for sh1ts and giggles before I bring it back. I'll still get a refund. Why is this situation different?

Because River Island (or whoever) are being a lot more generous than they need. In fact, they do not have to give you a refund or credit at all. They can simply say no, and you can do nothing about it.

You consumer rights only state that you have the ability to return an item if it is faulty. You simply changing your mind does not give you the right to return the item.

Clothing stores are much more flexible, but this is outside of your consumer rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Bazwah

I would have to agree with the OP, their returns policy is misleading, where they say

"Return unused items in their original packaging within 90 days with your till receipt, for a full refund."

they should actually say:

"Return unassembled items in their original packaging within 90 days with your till receipt, for a full refund."

Well, let's be fair here, just because you don't understand the basic definition of a word, does not mean it's misleading.

Unused - Never having been used
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/unused

If it has been touched while the box is open, that's used to me, especially if it has been assembled. Would you eat some food if you knew that someone had already handled it? Hmmmm, I think not. I wouldn't.

And as someone said before, you don't have ANY right to simply change your mind in this country, or most English speaking countries to be honest, you can return an item if it is faulty, that part is guaranteed. If you're an indecisive shopper, get better or get over it :) Not putting your right to change your mind into a statutory law is a way to protect companies from people who abuse the system or are too stupid to read or pay attention IMO. Consumers and companies have rights AND responsibilities.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Mods - I think the title of this thread should be changed.

The OP interpreted the rules incorrectly.

IKEA go out of their way to provide measurements and measuring tapes. That someone chose not to use that option and instead assembled the item and then found out it did not fit :confused: is not IKEA's fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Bazwah

amdublin wrote: »
    Mods - I think the title of this thread should be changed.

The OP interpreted the rules incorrectly.

IKEA go out of their way to provide measurements and measuring tapes. That someone chose not to use that option and instead assembled the item and then found out it did not fit :confused: is not IKEA's fault.

Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

amdublin wrote: »

They are pretty explicit on the website about assembled size etc. The OP could have checked at home before even opening the package and assembling it.

Advertisement