Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beware Ikea

Options
  • 03-12-2009 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

I recently purchased a chair from the Dublin branch foolishly thinking that if was not suitable I could return it under Ikea's 90 day "No Nonsense Returns Policy" http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_IE/customer_service/ikea_services/change_your_mind.html
    which allows the return of unused items in the original packaging for a full refund or so they claim.

The chair did not fit under the desk so was repackaged immediately. I could not back to Ikea straight away but returned a few weeks later but well within the 90 days.. Ikea flatly refused a refund saying that the chair had been. "assembled".

Considering that most Ikea furniture is flat packed their so-called "No Nonsense Returns Policy" is a con job. The Consumer Agency agrees and are looking into it.

Ikea - Swedish Quality - Made in China.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Canacourse wrote: »
    allows the return of unused items
    Ikea flatly refused a refund saying that the chair had been. "assembled".

Don't see how this is a problem with IKEA, it says unused items. You used and assembled it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

I agree with above, you didn't just take it out of the package, you put it together, therefore used. Think "con job" is a bit extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

It say on the link

Return unused items in their original packaging within 90 days with your till receipt, for a full refund.

Sounds like you used it to me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Don't see how this is a problem with IKEA, it says unused items. You used and assembled it.

Have to agree. IKEA did nothing wrong.

Next time, use a mesauring tape before you buy furniture.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Is there any way of telling that you assembled it OP? For example was there any plastic/shrink rap ripped of the packaging that you could reseal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭Xcellor

From their point of view, what are they supposed to do with a chair that doesn't have all its original packaging and has signs that it has been assembled?

They normally have chairs assembled so you could have measured it and checked against your desk.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I hate to say it, but i'd have to side with ikea. You used it, end of. It's now unsellable. There's plenty of information about the dimensions of pretty much all their products, so you should have been able to measure it and realise it wasn't going to fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Canacourse

Hogzy wrote: »
    Is there any way of telling that you assembled it OP? For example was there any plastic/shrink rap ripped of the packaging that you could reseal?

Some of the parts where in shrink wrapped plastic other parts in boxes. The chair when back in the same package it came in. The chair when back in a saleable condition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

I'm afraid I'm with the majority here too.

You build it you buy it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

If was not suitable I could return it under Ikea's 90 day "No Nonsense Returns Policy" http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_IE/customer_service/ikea_services/change_your_mind.html
    which allows the return of unused items in the original packaging for a full refund

But, in your own words, the item wasn't "unused" "in the original packaging". You used it. You took it out of it's packaging and assembled it.

You then put it back in the box (not the only packaging, which included shrink wrap), and brought it back.

IKEA are well within their right to turn you away. You made the mistake, not them.

• Advertisement

Its not un-sellable at all. A product assembled is not used in my opinion. If the policy specifically mentioned assembled rather then used I wouldn't have had a problem with it. I asked few people if that would consider assembled furniture used (Without going into details) and they didn't but I guess people would have differing opinions on that.

Maybe its because I have returned opened but unused items to Argos (And other places) a few times in the past without any problems that I am so pissed off. The wording of the Argos & Ikea return policies are similar.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/StaticDisplay/includeName/ReturnsAndRefunds.htm

So You buy a product from Ikea but never take it out of the packaging you can return it. Sounds like a lame policy to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Once the seal is broken OP it cant be returned. Its the same with most shops. Its like taking the tag off on an item of clothing, the shop doesnt care if its been worn (used) they still wont let you return it and fair enough, now if the chair was broken or a part was missing that would be a different story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

If you cut a few inches off the legs of the chair with a hack saw it should fit neatly under the desk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Its not un-sellable at all. A product assembled is not used in my opinion. If the policy specifically mentioned assembled rather then used I wouldn't have had a problem with it. I asked few people if that would consider assembled furniture used (Without going into details) and they didn't but I guess people would have differing opinions on that.

Maybe its because I have returned opened but unused items to Argos (And other places) a few times in the past without any problems that I am so pissed off. The wording of the Argos & Ikea return policies are similar.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/StaticDisplay/includeName/ReturnsAndRefunds.htm

So You buy a product from Ikea but never take it out of the packaging you can return it. Sounds like a lame policy to me.

Opened, unpacked, assembled, measured against your table, dissassembled and repacked. How anyone could think that is unused is beyond me.

And it says unused not un-sellable so even if it is sellable it has still been used.

Ikea furniture is not designed to be taken apart once built as it looses a lot of its strenght if taken apart (like all flat pack furniture). So that is why they would accept it back from you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Would you pay full price for a piece of flatpack furniture that had been opened, put together, taken apart and put back in the box? If Ikea took the chair back and gave you a full refund they'd end up having to sell it on at a discount, why should they make a loss just because you didn't take measurements before buying? All Ikea furniture is assembled in the store for you to view, they even give you measuring tapes to check it out before buying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Genuinly, although its bad luck on you with the desk being too low I still ahve to agree with IKEA. In effect, you changed your mind in buying it, there is nothing wrong with the chair so they are within their rights to refuse the refund.

And by the very nature of flatpack furniture being assembled, this does make the item used and unsellable to their store policy. I would imagine they have this polciy iron clad in their own policies and on your receipt, after all they are not some fly by night opetation, rather the biggest in the world at what they sell :D

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

Try disassembling it, putting back in packaging and return to IKEA (hopefully within the 90 days)?

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

did you unassemble before returning to IKEA or bring back the assembled chair?

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

The only interaction I've had with IKEA's returns dept. was to return a sink. When the box was opened it was in bits - not just cracked - it was properly smashed into many pieces. They were pretty decent about taking it back and I was surprised that they did given that I had no way of proving that it was like that when I bought it.

They definitely do take back stuff which they can't resell. I doubt they would do it unless it's their fault though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

You took delivery, opened the box, assembled the product and then stuck it back in the box? Without a doubt, the product is used.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So how was it in the original packaging when you had opened it, was there plastic wrap removed in ANYWAY if so then you did not return it in the original packaging

You had also used it, imho Ikea did nothing wrong as I for one would not have wanted to buy used items like you were attempting to return.

Also OP Ikea provide measurements for everything they sell (pretty much) why didn't you measure the chair before buying it and putting it together? Its not very hard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Paulw wrote: »
    Have to agree. IKEA did nothing wrong.

Next time, use a mesauring tape before you buy furniture.

Ikea even offer free paper ones in store.:confused:
    OP, you're wrong with this, I've bought hundreds of time in IKEA and never had an issue.:)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Its not un-sellable at all. A product assembled is not used in my opinion.

<snip>The wording of the Argos & Ikea return policies are similar.

<SNIP>Sounds like a lame policy to me.

So in short, in your view the policy is crap, in your view it was unused but yet you built it so it was used

In your view Argos and Ikea have similar policy, but NOT THE SAME.

The very fact that the vast majority of people posting here disagree with your view should suggest something to you ;)
    :D

Most helpful suggestion so far. Thanks..

did you unassemble before returning to IKEA or bring back the assembled chair?
    Back in the box the way it came...

Ikea even offer free paper ones in store.:confused:
    OP, you're wrong with this, I've bought hundreds of time in IKEA and never had an issue.:)

How many times have you tried to bring anything back?

Cabaal wrote: »
    So in short, in your view the policy is crap, in your view it was unused but yet you built it so it was used

In your view Argos and Ikea have similar policy, but NOT THE SAME.

The very fact that the vast majority of people posting here disagree with your view should suggest something to you ;)
    :D

It does that they all work for Ikea..

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Irishrossoblu

I brought back three unused, unopened items to Ikea last week. It took me 3 minutes to get a full refund. OP you really have to admit that you are chancing your arm on this. You used the chair full stop. You put it together. Thats using it. So Ikea are totally right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Hello?

I got burned in a similar situation by Ikea once a very long time ago. "Used" is one of those descriptions that means different things to different people. In a contract, it's a gray area that companies often don't elaborate on. Most shops will let you return items if they're unsuitable. You might think a piece of furniture will compliment your decor only to find out when you get it home and assembled that it doesn't. You haven't partied on it. You just put it together and realized your mistake after the fact. The item isn't unsellable. That's why Ikea has those lovely burly lads in the warehouse. They repackage items that haven't been "used" and are still saleable. If there is a bit of damage (real or imagined), Ikea has that little section off to the cash with discounted furniture. They still make money on it just not as much. The other thing about a lot of their products is that they're expensive but cheaply made. But they do have great TV commercials!

• Advertisement

It does that they all work for Ikea..

:rolleyes:

Sure Ikea are the official sponsors of Boards.ie. They pay for the domain name and hosting and the likes. We're not real people. Were just programmed bots that defend Ikea whenever it's mentioned.

And OP, DIY chairs are always well packed, and every part, from the wheels to the base to the back, arms and seat, are usually in their own piece of plastic. 80% Of the time the only way to open them is to Hulk out and rip the plastic covers off.

I reckon that if you did a good enough job of resealing it they wouldn't have noticed or cared. You obviously didn't. Tough luck. Learn from your mistakes.

As the old saying goes:

"It's better to measure ten times and cut once, than it is to measure once and cut ten times".

Advertisement