Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Final Fantasy song, Lewis Takes Action

Options
  • 03-12-2009 12:50am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Lewis Takes Action

Free mp3 from Heartland. Keeping with the Spectrum theme, but I definitely prefer this to the Spectrum EP (which I thought was only OK barring the magnificent the Butcher). Album is coming in January, but alas no sign of a gig over here just yet (he is playing in London - let us hope he makes the trip, as Mr. Pallett tends to be quite generous to us Irish!).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

It's pretty terrific. I'm hugely excited about this album, I can't wait for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

but alas no sign of a gig over here just yet (he is playing in London - let us hope he makes the trip, as Mr. Pallett tends to be quite generous to us Irish!).

Iirc his last couple of gigs here were fairly low key events with not much confirmed until very close? Hopefully it'll be the same this time.

I was absolutely amazed when he played Whelans. Even between albums, it was strange to see him in a venue so small. Brilliant, but strange. :D

I was absolutely amazed when he played Whelans. Even between albums, it was strange to see him in a venue so small. Brilliant, but strange. :D
    I went to see him in Vicar St a couple of years back, then got a txt from a mate the next morning telling me he was playing Whelan's that night as well as a "Special Guest". Was awesome.

I missed him in Whelan's last time 'round though. Hopefully he'll play another small venue this time. Although as medium sized venues go Vicar St is awesome.

If it's any consolation I caught the last Whelans show, but missed the Jens Lekman one, so I'd say we're about even. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah I've been to the last Vicar Street and Whelans gig (but not the secret one) - one of my favourite live performers, and I always prefer his songs onstage as you can really appreciate the rich craftmanship he brings to each composition. Hopefully he shall return! (I just discovered the Magnetic Fields are doing a European tour and bypassing Ireland too :( I wish Dublin was London sometimes!)

After absolutely no sign of a leak for ages - pretty impressively so, in this day and age - Final Fantasy/ Owen Pallett's Heartland was finally leaked by uh, iTunes.

Was pretty impressive how closely it was guarded up until this point, in the end US iTunes mistakenly started selling way too early, and in only one territory, so naturally it's all over the internet by now. They've since yanked it, but the damage is done.

I'm listening to it now - and sweet lord, it's marvellous - but I do feel kinda bad for Owen Pallett. He seems to have taken it considerably better than Gareth Campesinos took similar news the other day though.

There's a lot of strong band releases next year, but Heartland is going to take some beating if they want to top it.

After absolutely no sign of a leak for ages - pretty impressively so, in this day and age - Final Fantasy/ Owen Pallett's Heartland was finally leaked by uh, iTunes.

Was pretty impressive how closely it was guarded up until this point, in the end US iTunes mistakenly started selling way too early, and in only one territory, so naturally it's all over the internet by now. They've since yanked it, but the damage is done.

I'm listening to it now - and sweet lord, it's marvellous - but I do feel kinda bad for Owen Pallett. He seems to have taken it considerably better than Gareth Campesinos took similar news the other day though.

There's a lot of strong band releases next year, but Heartland is going to take some beating if they want to top it.
    That does indeed suck :/ I am looking forward to hearing it alot though.

btw http://www.prefixmag.com/news/trademark-causes-owen-pallett-to-rename-final-fant/35769/

A bit sad, but kinda good at the same time. No longer will friends ask "Who are listening to / going to see?" "Final Fantasy" "The game?" "sigh....." Actually a friend of mine who lives in Stockholm saw Final Fantasy advertised and bought tickets straight away. He was waiting in his seat for Pallet to come on stage but instead it was an orchestra playing music from the games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Looking forward to hearing it alright, but I'm one of those increasingly rare crazies who waits for launch day :pac: Actually kind of happy with the name change tbh, I'm a big gamer but FF was always a strange title.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭optimistic_

Saw his second show in Whelans in '06 ... know a few people who were at his first show in early '06 .. barely anyone there, tables set out etc.

Belfast show last time around was brilliant. In a pub. Much much smaller than whelans. Talked to him and shook his hand etc..

Going to london show next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭optimistic_

...also I've kind of always told people who wouldn't know "this violinist from Canada, Owen Pallet" if they asked who i was seeing!

Think it's better for him to have his name out there anyway.

Anyone know for his contributions to other artists if he was credited as FF or OP?

"Owen Pallett". The tune on the Flora ads a while back - Lewis' Dream - was also by "Owen Pallett".

Previously he always made a point of keeping "Final Fantasy" and "Owen Pallett" output distinct and seperate, the former being his artistic stuff and the latter being commercial gigs to keep the rent paid or contributions to other people's projects.

His last Belfast show was Empire Music Hall, I thought?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Loive this album alot already. I've seen him in whelans twice and vicar street and guesting with Jens Lekman and he's always been top notch. Such a great performer and a really decent guy too.

Ha, love your recently played. :D

Currently only have it in a format which is unpalatable to my MP3 player, and my laptop speakers are awful. It's still gorgeous.

Just had a thought....is his name change going to **** up my lastfm?
    They better auto correct all the old stuff...

Perhaps I am being premature.

But this is his best album yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

yup i think your last.fm won't show old final fantasy stuff as owen pallett.

great performance of that song.

E is For Estranged is under my skin.

• Advertisement

Wow amazing video! Remember that song at his last Whelans gig, wonderful piece of music. Getting very excited about this now (will stick to my outdated morals alas).

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

I think album of the week on this very forum introduced me to him ... incredible artist really, I'm playing The CN Tower Belongs to the Dead for my Leaving Cert practical on violin in April! Tricky enough recording the backing track though - have neither the money nor skill for a Loopstation. Can't wait for the new album :D

Joe - Damn cool. Swing by his forum. He might help you out.

http://shzine.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=viewprofile&user=sexyoxen

Ok, the song Flare Gun sounds *exactly* like some music from The Legend of Zelda : OOT, but I can't for the life of me think of what tune. Can someone please have a listen and see if you know before I drive myself mad trying to find the tune on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Is it the music that's played when you're in Link's house Jim? Going completely on memory here so I may be 100% wrong but it does sound similar to a Zelda game music :).

here's another performance of lewis takes action, there's about 5 people in that room minus the musicians themselves. Bastards :mad:

http://pitchfork.com/tv/#/episode/2072-final-fantasy/1

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

Joe - Damn cool. Swing by his forum. He might help you out.

http://shzine.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=viewprofile&user=sexyoxen

Thanks a million dude! Fingers crossed he PMs back...

This is the Dream of Win and Régine just popped up on that thing about the school on RTE1. Weird.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

This is the Dream of Win and Régine just popped up on that thing about the school on RTE1. Weird.

Amazingly i just came in here to post that. It was this lamb sells condos though, not wim and regine...

no hope for the village...

• Advertisement

No, it was most definitely This Is The Dream... that I heard. I don't know if This Lamb Sells Condos came up later, but it was most definitely This Is The Dream... that was over the intro sequence.

I wanted to hang on to hear if there was any other FF stuff later on, but alas, I have lost control of the remote since.

Advertisement