Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C of I person in Catholic Church Christmas Day

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭postcynical

Camelot wrote: »
    Quite a tricky one for an Anglican this, but if caught in the situation then join in with all the prayers you do know, and abstain from those you dont know, join in with the responses you know and sing along with the hymns (do they have hymns in the Roman Catholic Church)? anyway, I suspect that nowadays the two branches of the Christian Church are closer than ever, so enjoy the service as best you can, & remember the message of Christmas. P.S. Just remembered, I think they don't have hymn books or prayer books in the RC Church, which might make the service even more interesting/confusing :)

and don't take communion.

Most of the hymns are common to the two churches! Many of the songs you might hear on 'Songs of Praise' are sung by Catholics at worship although often there is no singing, it depends on the congregation. Irish Catholics are very shy anyway IMO in comparison to other denominations/nationalities. They do have hymn books in many RC churches, and many don't.

In the reverse situation (if stranded in the UK usually) I go along to the service, join in the prayers and singing and avoid taking communion. If I go with Protestant friends then I do take communion.

*edit although I think many of the hymns are common because the RC have borrowed from the Protestants

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭Panrich

pathway33 wrote: »
    Church of Ireland person is going down the country for Christmas and won't be within 20 miles of a Church of Ireland Church with no transport. They will go to the Roman Catholic Church for mass. Is there anything they should not do in the Roman Catholic Church that would contravene their own C of I faith?

They could give the collection a miss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

*edit although I think many of the hymns are common because the RC have borrowed from the Protestants

I had heard that our hyms had been 'borrowed' in recent years, but wasn't sure if it was a myth or not :) certainly in the C of I, most (if not all) the congragation sing along with the hymns, which we have learned since an early age *sunday school > I suspect this is not the case in many 'Irish' RC Churches?

P.S. no *sunday school on Christmas day, when usually the vicar/priest asks all the children in church to take their santa presents up to the front of the church for inspection by him > always great fun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭homer911

Graces7 wrote: »
    Not true in any way.

They have liturgy also. As clear cut as RC

I think ShotGunPaddy was referring to what to do/not do. Of course the Anglican church has liturgy..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭postcynical

Camelot wrote: »
    I had heard that our hyms had been 'borrowed' in recent years, but wasn't sure if it was a myth or not :) certainly in the C of I, most (if not all) the congragation sing along with the hymns, which we have learned since an early age *sunday school > I suspect this is not the case in many 'Irish' RC Churches?
    Sadly I suspect you are correct. I hope with future secularisation that Irish Catholic kids will also go to Sunday school and the parents can catch up then and bring a bit of joy back into the RC proceedings:)
    P.S. no *sunday school on Christmas day, when usually the vicar/priest asks all the children in church to take their santa presents up to the front of the church for inspection by him > always great fun :D
    Hmm, I can see Catholic priests getting pelted with lumps of coal if they tried that!

• Advertisement
Advertisement