Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C of I person in Catholic Church Christmas Day

Options
  • 02-12-2009 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭

Church of Ireland person is going down the country for Christmas and won't be within 20 miles of a Church of Ireland Church with no transport. They will go to the Roman Catholic Church for mass. Is there anything they should not do in the Roman Catholic Church that would contravene their own C of I faith?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Pretty sure COI shouldnt Take Holy Comunion

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

pathway33 wrote: »
    Church of Ireland person is going down the country for Christmas and won't be within 20 miles of a Church of Ireland Church with no transport. They will go to the Roman Catholic Church for mass. Is there anything they should not do in the Roman Catholic Church that would contravene their own C of I faith?

Given that they're visiting what is primarily a religious insitution that believes a man establishes his good standing with God by what he does, you might as well have your CoI person visit the local mosque. Then pose the same question.

That would help focus on central issues rather than at things on the periphery.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭homer911

At the risk of sounding like a smart-alec, if you have to ask the question, then the answer is "no". A christian of any denomination should know what they believe and why they believe it, and will therefore know when something in another denomination does not appear compatable with their own faith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

pathway33: Pretty much don't take the communion, that's what I have done when I have gone to masses in the past. That's more an issue on the RC side than on COI. Technically COI can take Communion wherever they see fit. I probably also wouldn't take part in reciting prayers that I disagreed with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭nouveau_4.0

I think both you and your friend have missed the point of religion.

As antiskeptic said, focus on central issues rather than at things on the periphery.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Quite a tricky one for an Anglican this, but if caught in the situation then join in with all the prayers you do know, and abstain from those you dont know, join in with the responses you know and sing along with the hymns (do they have hymns in the Roman Catholic Church)? anyway, I suspect that nowadays the two branches of the Christian Church are closer than ever, so enjoy the service as best you can, & remember the message of Christmas. P.S. Just remembered, I think they don't have hymn books or prayer books in the RC Church, which might make the service even more interesting/confusing :)

and don't take communion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭rohatch

You will be disappointed. There will be no hymns, or joyous rapture. I find that catholics are not really encouraged to enjoy church

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Offhand I don't see the problem in having one extra person celebrating the feast. He might be a bit distracted by kids clutching their new toys or some woeful attempts at singing (in my local anyone) but it is a good occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭alois

that's quite unfair rohatch, i think it really depends on the priest/congregation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭homer911

Plowman wrote: »
    Why should Anglicans (or others) avoid Communion at a Catholic Mass?
    Could they not still take it, but decide to understand their participation in the rite in a symbolic sense? Just wondering.

A good question...

For me, it is not something I would be comfortable with, probably because by participating in it I would feel like I am somehow agreeing with how those present would understand communion - transubstantiation or Christ physically present in the bread & wine

Plowman wrote: »
    Why should Anglicans (or others) avoid Communion at a Catholic Mass?
    Could they not still take it, but decide to understand their participation in the rite in a symbolic sense? Just wondering.

It is forbidden under Papal doctrine for a Protestant to take communion therefore if we wish to respect the Roman Catholic Church we shouldn't take it. This is an issue on the Roman Catholic end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

Jakkass wrote: »
    It is forbidden under Papal doctrine for a Protestant to take communion therefore if we wish to respect the Roman Catholic Church we shouldn't take it. This is an issue on the Roman Catholic end.

But that's only theory.
    I (a Lutheran) take regularly (well a few times a year) communian in Catholic Churches (in Ireland as well as in Germany), where the priest knows very well, that I'm not Catholic.
    I don't know how long that is practiced in Ireland, but my parents (mother Lutheran, father Catholic) asked the priest who was marrying them (40 years ago) if they could take Communion together and he said 'no problem'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

Forget this example.
    The now Pope Benedict gave Frère Roger (founder of Taize and a Protestant monk) publicly Communion during the funeral of Pope John Paul II.

So, by that interpretation, I should be getting sick and dying because I take part in communion "unworthily"?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Jakkass wrote: »
    So, by that interpretation, I should be getting sick and dying because I take part in communion "unworthily"?
    for a protestant going into a catholic church service is not new,and you would be in very famous company,in the mid 19th century, charlot bronte,[a parsons[C of E] daughter,when teaching in brussels went to the catholic church every week to pray,it is also on record that she used the confessional,[unknown in protestant churches] it may seem its only in ireland that there may be problems.

The guy on that blog is from Seattle, US. It seems fairly universal but some priests happen to be more liberal on it than not. The Vatican says it's wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

getz wrote: »
    the confessional,[unknown in protestant churches] .

Apologies for going off topic but does that mean Church of Ireland people don't go to 1-1 confession with a CoI 'priest' (sorry I'm not familiar with the CoI equivalent of a priest - reverand, rector, minister? ). CoI people confess directly to God? Or is there a public confession within the weekly service?

While I'm off topic I presume this would be an inappropriate prayer for a CoI person to participate in in a Roman Catholic house.

O Jesus forgive us our sins
    Save us from the fires of hell
    Lead all souls to Heaven
    Especially those in most need of thy mercy.

Because protestants believe in predestination surely it is wrong for them to pray to be saved. In addition would it be wrong to pray to Jesus rather than God?

Thanks,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I attend masses a few times throughout the year as my family and relations are Catholic. I would always stay near the back of the church and remain inside for the readings and Gospel. After this I would make my way to the back door and stay outside as I do not accept the consecration of the host.

• Advertisement

pathway33: Absolution is done during the service after a prayer of penitence. Confession occurs between man and God, although there is no problem with arranging to confess your sins to a minister, it isn't normal practice.

As for predestination there are two camps on this:
    Calvinist - God has already predetermined those who will be saved.
    Arminian - People pray to God for forgiveness, and are saved through realising the personal salvation of Christ for them.

Indeed, my tongue was firmly in cheek at that one. I do think that the guy who wrote that blog is misusing Scripture.

The reason I don't take communion in a Roman Catholic Church is because I do not want to do anything that could be perceived as being disrespectful whether or not the priest catches me in the act or not. I'd also feel more comfortable taking communion at my own church because I can better suss what it is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

Hi Pathway. At the end of the day, it's up to your friend I guess whether any particular part of the mass contravenes their faith. There's nothing 'absolutely' expected of a visitor to the mass, and all are welcome. It's usually a lovely mass where I go, with hymns and appropriate readings, gospel etc. We say the 'Our Father' and we stand for the creed. I would imagine that it's up to your friend whether they recieve communion or not, and would leave it up to their own conscience with this.....Strictly speaking, this would perhaps be the part of the mass that would most differ in it's meaning to us as Christians....

I hope both you and your friend enjoy your day...wherever you end up worshiping, and giving thanks. We're all doing the same thing that day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

There is provision in Canon Law for NonRCs to take communion; and vice versa interestingly.

An RC convert from the Anglican Church, as our friend below was assured, need only tell the Bishop that she would find it "burdensome" not to be able to take communion with Anglicans, and that would be allowed to her.

The RC operative phrase is that the Priest must perceive them as "properly disposed"

Hence of course Br Roger, and many many othere; Padre Pio gave communion to many Non TVs and even to one atheist

A dear friend, an Anglican hermit, proved this time and again here in Ireland. She always asked the priest and was never once made to feel anything but welcome to receive communion in RC churches here.

And that in time amounted to many in many counties. We counted about 40 in all.

There is after all only one Jesus. One Lord.

And the son of friends here, a good Catholic family, went to Mass in England when he was visiting his girlfriend. At the end he spoke with the priest and commented how wonderful it was that you coudl attend Mass in any country and it was the same.

The priest replied, "This is a Church of England..."

it is we who put barriers up; the liturgy is almost identical, being of course largely Scriptural.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭ShotgunPaddy

Nope. The COI does not have any rules. Make it up as you go along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭ShotgunPaddy

Graces7 wrote: »

And the son of friends here, a good Catholic family, went to Mass in England when he was visiting his girlfriend. At the end he spoke with the priest and commented how wonderful it was that you coudl attend Mass in any country and it was the same.

The priest replied, "This is a Church of England..."

it is we who put barriers up; the liturgy is almost identical, being of course largely Scriptural.

Yes. The Service would have almost been identical if the parish was Anglo Catholic.

No; simply Anglican

Yes. The Service would have almost been identical if the parish was Anglo Catholic.

• Advertisement

Not true in any way.

They have liturgy also. As clear cut as RC
    Nope. The COI does not have any rules. Make it up as you go along.

Advertisement