Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Times' top twenty albums of the decade

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Well in terms of popularity, influence and mass appeal anyway.

And I suppose it depends on when you started listening to it. I only really started listening to it the last few years and most of my favourite hip hop is from this decade.

And actually, most of my favourite Jazz was from the 60's. But you couldn't overlook the Stones, Beatles, Bob Dylan etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Blisterman wrote: »
    Well in terms of popularity, influence and mass appeal anyway.

Where? in Ireland? I don't think so.

Most people in Ireland think eminem is the king of hip hop.

I'm with pr0n on this there has been very few really decent hip hop albums since the 90's

and if Ireland's exsposure to hip hop is some tripe dished out from shona ryan or one of them, I don't see it changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I suppose living in England's given me a different view on things. I'm really speaking on a global scale, rather than just Irish. But then again, only a handful of the artists on that list would be what you'd call mainstream.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

ntlbell wrote: »
    Heh, He used to annoy the **** out of me too.

Do you like any of the albums?

Give the bends a few spins and come back to kid a IMO

I have OK Computer too but again have hardly listened to it, I did always like Karma Police though and Paranoid Android, must give it a spin again soon too.
    El Pr0n wrote: »
    If you're an Autechre fan, start with the title track or Idioteque, I reckon :)

I'm one of those people that got into Autechre through Radiohead. Now I can see that Radiohead aren't doing anything particularly innovative with electronics. But I really like the types of sounds they use, love the songs (obsessive Radiohead fan btw :P), and it opened up a whole new type of music which I would've previously written off as "uns uns uns uns" music. :)

Interesting how people have got over the 'uns uns uns' through Autechre and probably realized there is a lot more to electronica than just 'uns uns uns'. Have you delved into any other electronica from the early Autechre era? Beaumont Hannant, Higher Intelligence Agency? There are many!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Interesting how people have got over the 'uns uns uns' through Autechre and probably realized there is a lot more to electronica than just 'uns uns uns'. Have you delved into any other electronica from the early Autechre era? Beaumont Hannant, Higher Intelligence Agency? There are many!

I'm a big Aphex Twin fan, but then the electronic stuff I listen to kinda moves away from dancier stuff, toward hip hop, synth pop, krautrock, that kinda stuff. The Flaming Lips (Yoshimi-era stuff only really applies here, I guess), DJ Shadow, The Magnetic Fields, Kraftwerk, Oppenheimer, Christopher Willits, Boards of Canada, Propellerheads... I got a few Warp records compilations, but a lot of it bores me a good bit. With a lot of electronic music, I either end up loving it or hating it.

Thanks for dropping those names, though, I'll check them out!

• Advertisement

I'm a big Aphex Twin fan, but then the electronic stuff I listen to kinda moves away from dancier stuff, toward hip hop, synth pop, krautrock, that kinda stuff. The Flaming Lips (Yoshimi-era stuff only really applies here, I guess), DJ Shadow, The Magnetic Fields, Kraftwerk, Oppenheimer, Christopher Willits, Boards of Canada, Propellerheads... I got a few Warp records compilations, but a lot of it bores me a good bit. With a lot of electronic music, I either end up loving it or hating it.

Thanks for dropping those names, though, I'll check them out!

The likes of Beaumont Hannant, HIA etc definitely fit the electronica tag rather than the dance tag - they are very much part of the whole 'armchair electronica' movement from the early 90's - something for the 'uns uns uns' crowd to listen to later in the night, the next morning or whenever! :pac:

Mind Colours

A Summer Spent

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

The likes of Beaumont Hannant, HIA etc definitely fit the electronica tag rather than the dance tag - they are very much part of the whole 'armchair electronica' movement from the early 90's - something for the 'uns uns uns' crowd to listen to later in the night, the next morning or whenever! :pac:

Mind Colours

A Summer Spent

Really like that stuff! Thanks for the recommendations!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Daithio

I must listen again to Kid A - I believe a lot of people got into Autechre on the strength of that album. For me I bought it as I heard Radiohead had been influenced by Autechre and being an Autechre fan I was keen to hear it... I listened once over a family meal and it didn't hit me, the wrong scenario though I'll admit to give a new album the once over - I may have listened again since then but can't specifically remember as I went through a stupid phase of buying way too much music and some albums have got lost in the blur of it all!

Think I'll dig it out and stick it on tonight again with a more focused listen...

Idioteque

Really like that stuff! Thanks for the recommendations!! :)

No probs, oh and should have also mentioned Spacetime Continuum - 'Emit Ecaps' an all-time favourite album of mine, absolutely amazing electronica.

Swing Fantasy

Kairo

IForm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

thought "Come on feel the Illinoise" might have made it onto this list

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

L.T.D wrote: »
    Muse - Origin of Symmetry

good point..where the hell is muse?....i guess ash and cathy davey are better :rolleyes:..... some good albums on the list but its overall very conservative, predictable irish journo "we know about music" selection.....like that annoying arts show on rte tv....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Hot Fuss by The Killers??

Daithio wrote: »
    Idioteque

Had a listen again tonight and definitely grown on me - and yes I can really hear the Autechre influence on 'Idioteque'!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Hot Fuss by The Killers??

No. Mediocre at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Had a listen again tonight and definitely grown on me - and yes I can really hear the Autechre influence on 'Idioteque'!

I genuinely think that is the most over-rated piece of music ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 L.Whack

Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf?

Advertisement