Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alfa 145 Twin Spark 1.4

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

I would just see what is the situation, do you actually see that coolant is leaking out, or do you just have an idea about it?

Of course you can try those radwells etc liquids you pour in to the system, but those are always a bit lottery. Sometimes you win sometimes you loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Paulyh

i havent seen any coolant........i have only got it since last night though.
    the seller told me there was a leak. i'll check at lunch time, as the car is park in underground car park here at work, so the ground will be dry and the car was warmed up when i parked it there, and i will see if anything has leaked out.
    might try some of the stuff you mentioned..........

and of course it may not be the rad at all!! it could be a hose or connection.......

Paulyh wrote: »
    and of course it may not be the rad at all!! it could be a hose or connection.......

Agreed, could be leaking from loads of places, water pump, inlet manifold, hose, rad, expansion tank cap could be faulty.

RoverJames wrote: »
    Agreed, could be leaking from loads of places, water pump, inlet manifold, hose, rad, expansion tank cap could be faulty.

i'll have a good root around at lunch time and see if i can see any clues.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭TM RACING

Every body is saying to check that the timing belt is done, but what they do not seem to know is that the alfa boxer engine has two timing belts. the engine has to come out to do them so make sure they're done. By the way you can not get a 1.4 boxer, only a 1.6.

TM RACING wrote: »
    Every body is saying to check that the timing belt is done, but what they do not seem to know is that the alfa boxer engine has two timing belts. the engine has to come out to do them so make sure they're done. By the way you can not get a 1.4 boxer, only a 1.6.

hey TM, it is a 1.4TS not a boxer as advertised, is suspected this as i didnt think they used boxers since the early 90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Actually there was a 1.4 Boxer; sold on the continent. It was 1350cc and sold as both 1.3 and 1.4. Phased out in the mid 90s when the TwinSpark engine came along.

ok.....i dont know how the seller thought it was a boxer. it has t. Spark written on the back:rolleyes:

anyway, i went down an dchecked it out at lunch and there is nothing really to report. checked the ground under the engine. about 3 drops of........eh something. the nothing under the radiator drops were under the engine, so could even be oily/dirty water from off the surface of the engine. so all looks good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Viejo Zorro

When you are selling this car on pm me... I presume it won't be for at least six months.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

hey TM, it is a 1.4TS not a boxer as advertised, is suspected this as i didnt think they used boxers since the early 90's.

I've updated the thread title :)

eoin wrote: »
    I've updated the thread title :)

thanks Eoin!!!
    When you are selling this car on pm me... I presume it won't be for at least six months.

i will do!! what has you so interested??
    i forgot to take a pic of my latest bargin.......hang on, it was on adverts!!!

heres the link!!
    [HTML]http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=166755&cat=2
    [/HTML]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

What sort of price to get the timing belt done on her do you reckon?

Looks like not a bad example, fingers crossed the NCT goes ok for you.

What sort of price to get the timing belt done on her do you reckon?

i have'nt got a clue...it will be after christmas till get it to a garage for a full service. until then i'll just be keeping an eye on it for any issues.
    RoverJames wrote: »
    Looks like not a bad example, fingers crossed the NCT goes ok for you.

thanks, its up in january so hopefully there'll be no big problems with it. but for the money i gave for it i reckon its worth it (i hope).

Advertisement