Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alfa 145 Twin Spark 1.4

Options
  • 30-11-2009 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭

ok, i'm going to check out an Alfa 145 1.4 (boxser engine) year 2000 with about 90,000 miles on it.
    i have always liked the look of these and this one looks like a nice. and it is cheap.
    aside from the usual checking oil for crud and looking for smoke from the exhaust and a general nose around is there anything specific that i should look out for?
    i know i'll get the anti-Alfa comments and but other then them breaking down all the time:rolleyes: is there any alfa specific problems to look for?
    thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

timing belt needs to be done every 30k miles MAX!!!!

also, check the head gasket as they can go fairly often. (creamy gunge under oilcap)

press EVERY single button and switch to make sure they work as they are tepermental

make sure the car warms up properly on the testdrive and that the guage goes up to halfway, otherwise the therostat may be gone.

finally, make sure it doesn't overheat. fan relay might be gone.

Bring a mechanic with you is the best advice i can give you. they'll know exactly what to look for.
    A good Alfa is brilliant but a bad one will suck you dry

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Paulyh

thanks for that...........not sure if i'll be able to bring a mechanic with me, but i think i'll be able to spot any major problems.
    the car is only to do me for awhile and i'll still have my old car (a horrible corrolla you know hatchback one!! a part of dies everytime i drive it) to fall back on if things go horribly wrong. and i'll be getting a full service asap if i do buy it.
    thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Never heard of a 1.4 Alfa before. That engine isn't even listed on parkers.co.uk so Im guessing it was a "special" Irish release or something?

Can't imagine it's too quick off the mark!

Couldn't you stretch to a 1.6? Id imagine it would be a much nicer drive..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

There was never a 1.4 boxer in the Alfa 145 and there were no boxer engines at post 1996 or so, they were all twin sparks. Just make sure the timing belt is done, other than that, there's nothing unusual that you wouldn't check on any other car.

ya, you could get the 1.4 tspark in the 145 and the 146. think it was in or around 95bhp which was high enough at the time considering a 1.4 Golf only has 75bhp and the Renault Megane 1.6 8v only had 90bhp.
    They were quicker than a lot of 1.6's at the time

• Advertisement

i have only the same as above!! it seems they discontinued the boxser engine way before 2000 and replaced them all with TS, so will be interesting to see what it is!!
    i'm not looking for a pwerful car atm (it's a long story) so thats not a problem.
    thank for the replies guy's :)
    i'm going to check it out this evening, so i'll update when i see it

I went to see the car yesterday evening..............

it is a TS engine not a boxser.
    opened the oil cap, and it was pretty clean.
    the oil level was at low but again the oil on the dopstick looked clean and a reasonable normal oil colour.
    Cecked around the wheels and arches and there is no movement in the wheels and no noise when moving the suspension.
    The car started first time from cold and adled and revved well with no (visable) smoke from the exhaust.
    the interior was good, one or two stains on the seat but nothing that a good steam clean wont fix.
    all the electrics are working, the passenger window rubs on the seal when going back up, just needs to be adjusted.
    the spare wheel has never been used.
    the car drives well, brakes well, has a recent clutch (i was told) and feels good and tight.
    the car is a very good spec with sunroof very nice cloth interior, leather gear know steering wheel, all electric, etc....

however!!!! there is a small leak in the radiator...........is this a major issue or can it be fixed easily?????

has anyone any thoughts on the above??? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sounds fine, ring any Fiat garage for a price for a replacement radiator, use that as a bargaining point on price.

ok, so its not the end of the world??
    thanks, the price is cheap as the owner is emigrating and wants rid. so i'm thinking its worth it then.
    thanks......

• Advertisement

If you're really worried about any overheating due to the leaking rad, you could get a compression test done to make sure the head gasket is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭richardsheil

What is your definition of cheap. This car could be great. Tell us how much the seller is looking for.

€600 !! after checking it out it seems like a little bargin

edit: we have agreed on this price.......so provided i dont change my mind, i'll be picking it up tomorrow evening :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kyote00

it is worth trying to figure out "why" the rad is leaking. If its because of a stone or other physical damage then its probably ok -- but it could be due to over pressurization due to leaking or cracked head...

its worth questioning the owner about it to figure out the background -- how long its been leaking etc etc...

Did the temp guage get up to normal mid level ?

Paulyh wrote: »
    I went to see the car yesterday evening..............

it is a TS engine not a boxser.
    opened the oil cap, and it was pretty clean.
    the oil level was at low but again the oil on the dopstick looked clean and a reasonable normal oil colour.
    Cecked around the wheels and arches and there is no movement in the wheels and no noise when moving the suspension.
    The car started first time from cold and adled and revved well with no (visable) smoke from the exhaust.
    the interior was good, one or two stains on the seat but nothing that a good steam clean wont fix.
    all the electrics are working, the passenger window rubs on the seal when going back up, just needs to be adjusted.
    the spare wheel has never been used.
    the car drives well, brakes well, has a recent clutch (i was told) and feels good and tight.
    the car is a very good spec with sunroof very nice cloth interior, leather gear know steering wheel, all electric, etc....

however!!!! there is a small leak in the radiator...........is this a major issue or can it be fixed easily?????

temp went up to normal, as far as i remember.
    the seller told me that the temp goes up after about 2 weeks due to the leak.
    the oil didnt seem creamy like a thought it would when a head gasket went. but i may be wrong???

just to let you know, if your looking for cheap parts look at www.autolusso.co.uk Thats where i get any parts for my car. 2nd hand but reconditioned. Got a new fan and thermostat for mine for £50 stg

just to let you know, if your looking for cheap parts look at www.autolusso.co.uk Thats where i get any parts for my car. 2nd hand but reconditioned. Got a new fan and thermostat for mine for £50 stg

Don't be afraid to price the parts at any Fiat dealer too, when I had my 156 I sometimes got parts from the UK (http://www.alternativeautos.demon.co.uk/ are another good source) but often found main dealer prices to be competitive.

thanks for all the advice guys. i bought the car this evening and had it on a nice long drive and it seems great! ended up giving 550 for it which is a bargin :D so its off to get full service asap and i'll steam clean the interior over the weekend.
    might take a pic in the daylight and post it

do, sounds good for a 00. even if it blows up after a year, it wont have cost the world.
    throw up the pics when you've a chance

the seller told me that the temp goes up after about 2 weeks due to the leak.

:confused: what do you mean by that ? After driving it without topping up for two weeks the temp gauge goes into the red ? If so the engine may have gotten a mild (at best) cooking.

• Advertisement

RoverJames wrote: »
    :confused: what do you mean by that ? After driving it without topping up for two weeks the temp gauge goes into the red ? If so the engine may have gotten a mild (at best) cooking.

I'm not too sure what he meant by that either!!
    from what i gather, temp will rise if it is not topped up..........its driving fine at the moment (last night and this morning) with the temp sitting a mid level (90 degrees). is there anything you can get to plug a leaky radiator??? obviously ideal is to get it to a mechanic asap, but with christmas so close, realistically i wont be able to afford it till the end of the month :rolleyes: i know i am just putting off the enevitable...............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

Does the fan kick in if you let the car warm up?

if it does then you have one less thing to worry about, then just make sure that you have enough coolant all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

ok, i'm going to check out an Alfa 145 1.4 (boxser engine) year 2000 with about 90,000 miles on it.
    i have always liked the look of these and this one looks like a nice. and it is cheap.
    aside from the usual checking oil for crud and looking for smoke from the exhaust and a general nose around is there anything specific that i should look out for?
    i know i'll get the anti-Alfa comments and but other then them breaking down all the time:rolleyes: is there any alfa specific problems to look for?
    thanks in advance!!

1.4 boxer :|

good luck with the to 60 mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Pdfile wrote: »
    1.4 boxer :|

good luck with the to 60 mate.

Because that is the most important consideration when looking for a 1.4 hatch:rolleyes:

EPM wrote: »
    Because that is the most important consideration when looking for a 1.4 hatch:rolleyes:

yeah, you generally look to do limits in a safe time, rather then hold the traffic up with the Sheer noise and lack of movement ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

yeah, you generally look to do limits in a safe time, rather then hold the traffic up with the Sheer noise and lack of movement ;)

It's a TS so not a Boxer and 100 odd brake should be plenty to get moving safely in it

if you read the thread, it turned out its a 1.4TS.......and it not that bad to be fair. as i said before.......not looking for a fast car atm as my last one ended up going through a wall:eek:

EPM wrote: »
    It's a TS so not a Boxer and 100 odd brake should be plenty to get moving safely in it

go over 4k and watch the head blow ( sorry, have to forfill the anti alfa stance for once... now im done )

through a wall.... try upside down :( <--- thats my smile upside down.... scaryist but one of the most fun things that has ever happened..... Ever in my life.

itarumaa wrote: »
    Does the fan kick in if you let the car warm up?

if it does then you have one less thing to worry about, then just make sure that you have enough coolant all times.

yes, the fan kicks in when it's warmed up. seems to be just the leaky rad, just dont want it to get worse, so wondering if there is a quick fix for the time being??

• Advertisement

go over 4k and watch the head blow ( sorry, have to forfill the anti alfa stance for once... now im done )

through a wall.... try upside down :( <--- thats my smile upside down.... scaryist but one of the most fun things that has ever happened..... Ever in my life.

:) no, i did stay the right way up!! throught a hedge and then an abrupt stop in a stone wall.........and most uncomforable thing was the air bag hitting me in the face :D

Advertisement