Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Diesel...What would you choose with 7k?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

galwaytt wrote: »
    ..as distinct from Passat's which have neither style NOR substance....:rolleyes:

..always a good thing, irrespective of the brand...

...you're not supposed to. CANBUS requires proper equipment - you cant just lash on a Multimeter and hope it all goes well.
    As for not including multiplexing, well get used to it, there won't be a car on the planet without it, shortly. All new Germans use it..........

...indeed. New ones seem to be terrible.

Told you: Germans.

Im quiet familar with the concept of CANBUS i was meerly explaining how it works in lay mans terms. Even with non CANBUS cars (for example odb2) the 1st thing you do to diagnose a fault is to run a diagnostic on it.

It would be incredibly difficult to tap cables or ribbon cords in some cases with a multimeter to check for extremely small voltages especially with electronics. Considering the extra resistance and attenuation you would introduce on the electronic circuit by approaching it in this manner especially with certain french cars as they have enough trouble as it is :D

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DF1

Are toyota electrics as complicated as the french or germans ?

Totally off topic but:

All car electrics operate on the same principal, wiring looms ,switches etc and still do to a certain degree.

However car manufacturers and now turning to multplexing (i.e. combining different signal voltages on the same wire to operate devices) instead of running seperate electric cables for each device. The principal of multiplexing has been used in computers for years in the form or Buses its now being applied to cars.

The benefits for car manufactures its that production cost is lower, less wiring and faster to manufacture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

You might just about squeak an Accord diesel for that money or a wee bit more. A mate brought an 04 one in from the UK for about 6k incl VRT.

Failing that the Mondeo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Have an Audi A4 for sale here if you want it.

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=163079&cat=500

She's on Irish plates now, but those are the original pics.

• Advertisement

Dave147 wrote: »
    Have an Audi A4 for sale here if you want it.

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=163079&cat=500

She's on Irish plates now, but those are the original pics.

9 years old, 140k miles:eek:, no leather for €7k... you're having a laugh, right?!

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭gleep

Tragedy wrote: »
    Never heard of problems with the renault diesel engines, generally its fiddly electrics that are shoddy(and not in later cars).

Not saying the S40's linked were bad spec, but compared to the laguna they are.

Laguna Sky's have:
    - Glass electric sunroof
    - Climate control air conditioning
    - Auto parking brake
    - Rear proximity sensor
    - Alloy wheels
    - Rear spoiler
    - Electric windows and mirrors
    - Hands free door opening and ignission

And if I'm not mistaken(which I could well be), it looks the laguna sky linked also has cruise control and steering wheel mounted stereo controls.

Disclaimer: All of the above extras and gizmos will fail, and for some bizarre reason your car may not start if when the elec mirrors, parking sensors are broken. As someone else has already said, THE LAGUNA IS CHEAP FOR A GOOD REASON!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

JHMEG wrote: »
    9 years old, 140k miles:eek:, no leather for €7k... you're having a laugh, right?!

Sorry I wasn't aware it was December 2010. Where did you get your calendar? These TDI audi's don't come with leather, only 1.8's and 2.5's have it as an option. Car is in absolute mint condition with full S line kit, 2006 Audi Navigation Plus system, 4 excellent tyres, FSH, timebelt done.

So no, I'm not having a laugh.

Sorry I wasn't aware it was .. 2010.
    4 weeks away.

Sorry, but it seems very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Sorry I wasn't aware it was December 2010. Where did you get your calendar? These TDI audi's don't come with leather, only 1.8's and 2.5's have it as an option. Car is in absolute mint condition with full S line kit, 2006 Audi Navigation Plus system, 4 excellent tyres, FSH, timebelt done.

Sorry mate and no disrespect to you or your car but in just under a month it is will be 9 years old, that's all a buyer will see and be prepared to wait if necessary. Alot of garages are selling used cars now at January 2010 prices.

A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it not what the owner thinks it's worth.

• Advertisement

Really? here is a 1.9tdi 130bhp with leather.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Audi/A4/1.9TDI-S/200946195866773/advert?channel=CARS

and a considerably cheaper one on gumtree also 01 although I would be checking the mileage with a fine tooth comb.

http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/19/46914619.html

Edit: Just curious.....your car is on 140k miles as stated in your advert and you have just changed the timing belt. Timing belt on the tdis are recommended to be changed every 60k miles or every 4years along with Timing belt tensioners and waterpump. So it should be on its 3rd belt, if it wasnt id be asking serious question regards what other maintenance jobs were not completed if I was a prospective buyer. Just my 2c.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭potsy11

Wow....I think we may be going off topic a little...but loving it all the same!!

Thanks everyone for their feedback. Been looking at the UK sites also and listening to various other influences....

I know this is a smaller car but what do you think? I dont believe there are too many 1.9 in ireland. I rang the garage and this is a Cat -d car. It was stolen and then recovered. Insurance company had paid out on the claim so it was auctioned off to the current dealer. Going to get a mechanic to ahve alook at it me thinks.

Any opinions? I should get this back all in (flights, vrt etc) for 6500.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/200949347436938/sort/priceasc/usedcars/make/vauxhall/model/astra/price-to/5000/seller-type/trade_adverts/transmission/manual/maximum-mileage/up_to_80000_miles/engine-size-cars/1-7l_to_1-9l/price-from/3000/fuel-type/diesel/radius/30/page/1/postcode/b263qj?previous=%2Fsearch%2Fresults%2Fusedcars%2Fpostcode%2Fb263qj%2Fradius%2F30%2Fmake%2Fvauxhall%2Fmodel%2Fastra%2Fprice-to%2F5000%2Fseller-type%2Ftrade_adverts%2Ftransmission%2Fmanual%2Fmaximum-mileage%2Fup_to_80000_miles%2Fengine-size-cars%2F1-7l_to_1-9l%2Fprice-from%2F3000%2Ffuel-type%2Fdiesel%2Fpage%2F1%2Fsort%2Fpriceasc&anchor=advert200949347436938&logcode=p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

It's incredibly poor value at 7k to be honest, and over valued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭TM RACING

SABB 9-3 Tid are good value at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DF1

What makes of cars dont use this multiplexing carry on ?

DF1 wrote: »

All older cars use the traditional way of electrics
    VAG brought in CANBUS in and around 2005 for example with the Passat (B6 Platform) and the Golf (Mk 5).

French manufactures were one of the 1st to use it as mentioned previously one of my collegues has a 2002 citroen c5 and it has CANBUS technology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

DF1 wrote: »

Morgan maybe! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Damn, none of the cars in this thread have shifted at all except the 156, thats a first. The 6 - 8k price range must be what's holding people off.

I've a bad habit of going through old threads to see whats sold, some of the older cars 00 - 01 2 - 4k are walking off the car lots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Friend in the trade says the only things selling for him at the moment are exactly that €6k -€8k diesels

Advertisement