Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nutritional Information

Options
  • 30-11-2009 4:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭

Had a look at the back of the packet of crisps I had at lunch today to see just what kind of crap I was eating and I noticed that it gave the average quantity of the Energy, Protein, Fat and so on in both average quantity per 100g and average quantity per serving.

Fair enough I think to myself I only need check the per serving numbers to find out how much fatter its going to make me as the bag was less then 100g. I read the figures and think to myself actually that’s not that bad I thought it would be worse then that but then low and behold I spot on the bottom of the bag in small lettering the words
    Servings per package 2.

You sneaky crisp making bastards!

Why are you selling me an individual bag with 2 servings in it? Its not 2 servings at all is it? Its one you just don’t want to have your numbers look bad on the back of your bag.

And if it is 2 servings why aren’t you selling single servings?

Why are all our Crisp packets getting bigger?

Am I meant to open a packet of crisps eat half of them then role it up and save the other half?

And don’t tell me I should share them.

Why can’t they just be open and honest? I want one serving and you tricked me into eating two!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Doc wrote: »
    Had a look at the back of the packet of crisps I had at lunch today to see just what kind of crap I was eating

You're doing it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

The-Rigger wrote: »
    You're doing it wrong.

That would depend on what you mean by "it".

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

That would depend on what you mean by "it".

Eating crisps, trick is to eat them and not mind the packed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Eating crisps, trick is to eat them and not mind the packed.

HA! But then how would you know the type of crisps you’re eating. Check and mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Crisps have types?
    hmmm.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

HA! But then how would you know the type of crisps you’re eating. Check and mate!

"Hello shopkeep! Would you be so kind as to provide me with some of your finest *insert flavour here* crisps please!"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Heartbreaking story there OP. Really make you think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

Also 500 ml Coke bottles claim 1 serving to be 250 ml.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

reminds me of this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Funnily enough portions may be getting bigger but aren't burgers in fastfood chains getting smaller?

I had a burger in the whatchamacallit royal burger place a few weeks back and it was tiny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

Crisps make you fat, bigger bags make you fatter than smaller bags. Why one would need to read nutritional information to discern this is rather beyond me.

The 4kcal's difference between a packet of Tayto and a packet of King are not likely to be a life and death issue.

Long Onion wrote: »
    Crisps make you fat.

Woah hold on there buddy. Mr. Tayto didn't mention anything about that in his autobiography.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Woah hold on there buddy. Mr. Tayto didn't mention anything about that in his autobiography.

He is but a minion of Mary Harney - believe nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

What actually is the story with that book? Is it an autobiography, or a history of Tayto and the business, or is it a fictionalised thing?

Buceph wrote: »
    What actually is the story with that book? Is it an autobiography, or a history of Tayto and the business, or is it a fictionalised thing?

Flicked through it in Easons this morning.

Looks like a fictionalised auto-biography with Mr. Tayto photoshopped in beside people like Kathryn Thomas.

Disappointingly the cannibalism issue is hardly touched on at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Happens all the time, they list the Nutritional Information per 100g on a 350g product, really annoying. Same on cereal boxes :mad:

CC

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Typhoon. wrote: »
    reminds me of this
    200 extra calories per day, or 20 pounds a year.

3,600 calories in a pound

that's how much you need to change intake / expenditure by to change your weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

What I hate is when they do this and the serving size they use is an awkward fraction of the total amount. You then have to divide 140g into 465g or similar.

Once or twice I've had to get the phone out to work it out.

I can't eat Aero Bubbles after reading the back. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Funnily enough portions may be getting bigger but aren't burgers in fastfood chains getting smaller?

I had a burger in the whatchamacallit royal burger place a few weeks back and it was tiny.

Eat at GBK, all Gourmet Burgers €5 before 5pm.

http://www.gbk.co.uk/menu/burgers/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

Nope thats just your hands getting fatter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭Naos

It's not rocket science.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

They really need to have some kind of standardised measuring system. Otherwise it's enigmatic at best and totally misleading at worst. The current system is basically a handy way for manufacturers of unhealthy foods to disguise how unhealthy their foods actually are. And the fact that it is required by law for them to display these readings actually works to their advantage if they are allowed display the figures in whatever method they wish - so it's quite pointless and even damaging from a consumer point of view, because someone may be conscious enough to check the package, but if the numbers are totally misleading then they'll be tricked in to buying something they initially would have been hesitant to buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

What I hate is when they do this and the serving size they use is an awkward fraction of the total amount. You then have to divide 140g into 465g or similar.

Once or twice I've had to get the phone out to work it out.

I can't eat Aero Bubbles after reading the back. :(

Who did ya call?!? :confused::D:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

Multi-pack in a lot of brands are smaller than the individual pack. For instance, Walkers standard single packet would be 34.5g whereas a multi-pack bag would 25g.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walkers_(snack_foods)#Pack_sizes

Servings is a little bit of bollix really. They are based on food consumption surveys that usually look at the average amount a person would eat in one sitting. Of course, one would believe this would be the standard pack size, but it could be diluted by similar foods having smaller packets or assumptions about people sharing, etc.

Who did ya call?!? :confused::D:confused:

Calculator.

(He's really smart)

DanGerMus wrote: »
    Nope thats just your hands getting fatter.

I'll have you know I have tiny hands. :mad:

I'll have you know I have tiny hands. :mad:
    and small gloves

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

994 wrote: »
    Also 500 ml Coke bottles claim 1 serving to be 250 ml.

I never copped that, I have one here beside me and its 58% of my daily sugar in one little bottle :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

I never copped that, I have one here beside me and its 58% of my daily sugar in one little bottle :eek:

Those bottles aren't exactly little...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Typhoon. wrote: »
    reminds me of this

im gonna go right ahead and estimate that they are american sized portions. i never had a popcorn bucket that big, a cheeseburger stacked that high, nor the gulp sized cups. seriously, if those were 'normal' sizes here, we'd be damned.

Advertisement