Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are ghosts real?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

No they are not real, if they were it would make most of science wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

MooseJam wrote: »
    No they are not real, if they were it would make most of science wrong

Er,no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

There's no such thing as spirits, none of us have a "spirit" that when we die goes elsewhere, so following on from that there's no such thing as ghosts.

Our imagination is a powerful tool. When we hear a noise at night we believe it could be a burgler, when generally it's not. More active imaginations believe it could be a ghost in their house, but it's not. There's some very good examples available, such as seeing people seeing a shadow and their imagination automatically jumping to the conclusion that it is that of a person, when it's not.

Combined with fatigue, stress, hysteria, we can sometimes find ourselves jumping to silly conclusions and that's where ghosts come in. Not to mention people seeing things because they want to see them, such as going to a haunted house and automatically attributing every drip and knock to a ghost or other non-existent creature, as opposed to looking at things realistically.

I'm open to being proved wrong though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

I'd say ghosts are just energies. It's if hauntings are real which is more interesting. I'd say 'ghosts' are more real than god.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭_Roz_

In a word, "no".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I voted yes. Ive had a few odd experiences etc over the years but only 1 where there was a full on manifestation. Ive posted about it before years ago so I will summise below.

Walking up a boreen in Wexford when I was 19 with a mate at the time. It was about 1am. We had a few drinks but neither of us were drunk. We had to bring a flashlight for the walk home as the road was unlit, and was along the coastline. (We were in Courtown) Along the road was what looked like a derelict church and old graveyeard. Not sure if that had any relevence.

Anyway as we were walking along, i felt that there was someone behind us. I turned around and about c. 100m away I saw a bright, apparition. No face and couldnt make out legs. But very visible and eerie looking. It looked like it was moving toward us. I turned back around and justified it as an approaching car, mist etc etc. I said nothing to my mate. About 30 seconds later he turned around and screamed "WTF is that?" I turned around and the apparition was half the distance it was previously. Clearly visible, and frankly, very creepy. We ran the rest of the way. (it wasnt too far from there)

At no point did a car pass us, and the light was certainly not someone shining a torch at us. And it wasnt bog mist.

As a final twist to the tale, i lost touch with that friend around that time and when I posted the story in boards originally, it was about 10 years after the event. The chap happened to be on boards at the time, and got in touch! he's still around if anyone wants to verify my story! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

The problem is faceman skeptics will never believe you. If i had an experiance of something in the paranormal like a manifestation, i would never tell anyone because i'd be afraid of being mocked. It seems you get mocked these days for saying anything you see in regards to the supernatural.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

I answered "no" to the poll question, but as for the question as to if ghosts are real... I would lean more towards yes. Also, I think the title of this thread is rather misleading to be honest.

Asking if ghosts are real and if someone has seen a ghost without the use of equipment are two separate questions, though they are related... thus, I affirm "yes" to the title question but no to the poll question.

Advertisement