Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are ghosts real?

Options
  • 29-11-2009 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭

Simply put alot of us have been doing this for a very long time and most have never seen a ghost. Im just interested in seeing how many people here have actually seen a ghost. Not heard a voice or have been pushed or anything else like that, how many people have actually seen a full figure standing infront of them.

The poll is private. Please vote honestly.

Have you seen a ghostly fullfigure apparition without the use of equipment? 25 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 25 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

No option for unsure!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

well to be honest you either see one or ya don't

I've never seen one

DyldeBrill wrote: »
    well to be honest you either see one or ya don't

I've never seen one
    Not necessarily, I've seen things but can't be sure if they where ghosts or my imagination or something else!

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭leddpipe

Ziycon wrote: »
    Not necessarily, I've seen things but can't be sure if they where ghosts or my imagination or something else!

If your unsure, chances are you havnt seen anything!

In fact, chances are that you, or anyone, has not, or will ever see anything definitive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

No, ghosts are not real and there is no evidence to suggest that they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Ruth KPS

dlofnep wrote: »
    No, ghosts are not real and there is no evidence to suggest that they are.

You cannot say that ghosts are not real for definite...there are people out there who have seen them. I'm one.

Yes I'm a paranormal Investigator now...but 3 years ago I wasnt, I knew nothing about the paranormal, I had no interest in looking for anything.. and one walked through the sitting room in my house.

I have no proof it happened as obviously I had no equipment with me.

However you cannot 100% say that they do not exist as some of us have been lucky enough to see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Lads to say whether something has been seen or not do we not have to first know what it is people are seeing?

Real or not, people are seeing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭leddpipe

the mind is a powerfull tool, as we all know.

as such, it can make us believe we have experienced things which may not have occurred in reality.

i believe this is what accounts for ghost sightings.

that, hysteria, and lying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Ruth KPS wrote: »
    You cannot say that ghosts are not real for definite...there are people out there who have seen them.

I can't say that the Easter Bunny isn't real for definite. But I'm pretty sure that isn't either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

yes Apparations/ghosts Are real... Some of them are trapped or have unfinished business. & some of them are just here to haunt us until they are guided to go tward the light by a trained Medium they are here to stay unfortunatly.
    Ul find they live in dark places like Cellars Lofts etc... Many old buildings where people were killed before they were ready to leave this life stay trapped in earths Atmosphere. i sware on sister barbera :) lol
    If you call Satan/devil or keep repeating the word 666 ul invite evil spirits into your life then youl Beleive or will experience very strange phenonoma if curious try it. but i didnt tell you :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭jonbravo

even though ive never seen a ghost ,im not going to dismiss the fact that lots of people have seen said, ghosts or spirits,even if its in the persons heads, then it most be real to them..... so i'll say yes!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

I never saw anything like this however I am open to the idea.I havent seen apes evolve into man or seen gravity but there is evidence to suggest both occurring.By that measure, both theories have been questioned, amended and indeed refuted.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭rafared

Unless I see it its not real for me Im afraid. People who talk about energy fields, mediums who say they can talk to spirits ect have no basis in scientific fact. I wouldnt force this opinion on other people who disagree but extrordinary claims require extrordinary proof and the burden of proof rests with the believers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

Lets all agree to disagree :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Don't think i've ever seen a ghost, but twice in my life i've
    felt the presence of "a dark shape" in the corner of my room.
    Then on my chest, but i've being told that its called "Sleep paralysis",
    still scary enough when it happens, be it real or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

'ghost' in too much of a catchall word to make much sense. Do you mean dead people, do you mean environmental things we currently don;'t understand ... what do you mean when you say 'ghost'? (though in saying that I voted yes as I did actually see an apparition)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I mean something like this

ghostbusters_l2.jpg

You either seen something like this or you didnt. Not a feeling, mist in a photo, being pushed, EVP on a tape, sensing a presence. Also if you voted Yes please elaborate. I voted no because after 5 years going on paranormal investigations I have never seen a dead person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭blue42

I can't say that the Easter Bunny isn't real for definite. But I'm pretty sure that isn't either.

you dont believe in the Easter Bunny!!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Grimes wrote: »

ghostbusters_l2.jpg

You either seen something like this or you didnt. Not a feeling, mist in a photo, being pushed, EVP on a tape, sensing a presence. Also if you voted Yes please elaborate. I voted no because after 5 years going on paranormal investigations I have never seen a dead person.
    Out of interest Grimey, why'd you stick with it for 5 years? And presumably still sticking with it. Do you think the methods/equipment you're using will eventually result in you seeing a ghost? Or do you just take it that since lots of people have claimed to see stuff, there must be something to be seen? Or is it a case that you think there's good logical reasons to pursue it (eg. conservation of energy, the energy powering our body must go somewhere)?

I just find it curious that someone who hasn't seen anything would devote 5 years to pursuing it. Usually (or at least my perception is that) someone sees what they think is a ghost, and then spend years believing in/investigating ghosts.

Possibly off-topic... feel free to split it off if you like.

Anyways no I haven't seen a ghost, nor do I believe in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Ruth KPS

Well I am sure there have been no claims of the easter bunny hopping around, however there are claims of apparitions....and to be very honest I think unless you have actually experianced it, you won't truely understand what it's like...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Dave, just to answer your question wether ghosts are real or not the paranormal community is fantastic fun especially in the PIGS . Nights away in casltes are great crack especially for non drinkers

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Angrybastard

When I was fourteen, I was in bed listening to the radio. I turned to switch it off, and there was a little girl standing there. I wasn't asleep, before anyone suggests I was dreaming. Many things have happened in my mother's house, and we are all ok with it, but recently, my brother's girlfriend who now lives there woke and heard a voice in the room, and has heard it since. She's really freaked and wants to get something done about it (she mentioned a priest and was laughed out ot the room). We all grew up there and are not bothered by these things, but she won't just learn to live with it.

Grimes wrote: »

ghostbusters_l2.jpg

I've seen full people but can't be sure they where ghosts, i'm not the only one thats seen these people in the same location, my whole family plus one or two of my families friends have seem people.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Logan

I for one 100% believe in spirits having seen one before and experiencing plenty in my home.. I do believe that if you haven't experienced it's harder for to believe, but just because you haven't experienced you can't just dismiss stories from other people, people must be seeing and experiencing something right?.. I've come across situations that's not paranormal and can lead the person into thinking it is.. But also came across situations that leaves you scratching your head..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Logan wrote: »
    I've come across situations that's not paranormal and can lead the person into thinking it is.. But also came across situations that leaves you scratching your head..

Same as. I just put it down to my not understanding it or how my head works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

Muckie wrote: »
    Don't think i've ever seen a ghost, but twice in my life i've
    felt the presence of "a dark shape" in the corner of my room.
    Then on my chest, but i've being told that its called "Sleep paralysis",
    still scary enough when it happens, be it real or not.

i used to get that loads, really hard to explain and very frightening. i dont sleep on my back anymore.

Not really sure about the whole ghosts thing, i think there's part of our brain that we use seldomly, or maybe never, that taps into what could be perceived as 'paranormal' though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

I voted no to the question, but I've been doing investigations for over 5 years now, and although I haven't seen any ghosts, I still believe they exist. You don't always have to see something to know it exists though... think about this: you cannot see air, yet you know it exists because you can feel it when you breathe so why couldn't ghosts be sensed by other means as opposed to just one's eyes?

Perhaps I'm going out of the scope of the question, but my main point is that not everyone will see them; some will be naturally tuned in to seeing them, others will (have to) train to see them and others will never see them, mainly because of the previous reasons mentioned. Other worldly senses can be prone to influence from the same things that cause things to be seen with your eyes, so in some ways, the other senses have an equal footing with sight as to being able to detect paranormal activity. Of course, some senses may turn out to be not as practically useful in determining paranormal activity to the same level as sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭rafared

I voted no to the question, but I've been doing investigations for over 5 years now, and although I haven't seen any ghosts, I still believe they exist. You don't always have to see something to know it exists though... think about this: you cannot see air, yet you know it exists because you can feel it when you breathe so why couldn't ghosts be sensed by other means as opposed to just one's eyes?

Perhaps I'm going out of the scope of the question, but my main point is that not everyone will see them; some will be naturally tuned in to seeing them, others will (have to) train to see them and others will never see them, mainly because of the previous reasons mentioned. Other worldly senses can be prone to influence from the same things that cause things to be seen with your eyes, so in some ways, the other senses have an equal footing with sight as to being able to detect paranormal activity. Of course, some senses may turn out to be not as practically useful in determining paranormal activity to the same level as sight.

So in 5 years investigating ghosts you have never seen one yet you still believe they are there?
    I would love to believe in ghosts , the Lough Ness Monster, bigfoot and UFO's but show me conclusive proof.
    What do you mean when you say a person has to be tuned in to see them? The problem with this is that anybody can say they see a ghost and the reason I cant see is because im not tuned in. Thats the same as the Mediums who say they can speak to spirits. Its an easy claim to make yet it cannot be proven and the burden of proof rests with the believer.
    Just because somebody says they can see something doesnt make it real.
    Scientific proof is needed.
    You also said you cant see air but you know its there. That is not the same thing. The effects of air including its chemical composition, speed, ect can be scientifically measured. You can also see the results of moving air when the wind blows something.
    I am totally willing to believe in ghosts when I can see one, maybe photograph it or when somebody invents a way to scientifically detect them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I voted no, I havent seen one but experienced the presence and can vouch my young daughter saw one on more than one ocassion. I firmly believe, I dont know if I ever would want to see one, I'd prob have a heart attack or something, I've had a couple of times when I thought I may have but never been 100% sure, i.e. an old man walking not far behind me who suddenly was there nomore with nowehere for him to go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I voted "yes", thinking of this experience:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62336512&postcount=692

Honestly though ... I really don't know. I'm not really into the whole paranormal/supernatural stuff at all!

Advertisement