Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's wrong with those Veggies?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Overature post deleted. I'm giving you a warning, only one. PM if you have queries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 VeGeek

... come back in maybe five years and let us know how it's affected you. A few months is nothing with diet.

OK then, see you in maybe five years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

VeGeek wrote: »
    OK then, see you in maybe five years.

Grand and for anyone who's interesterd this pretty much sums things up on this topic for me:
    http://www.drfuhrman.com/faq/question.aspx?sid=16&qindex=4

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Gknit wrote: »
    Where did you hear that? I'm not automatically saying you're wrong or anything but I wouldn't have thought their antibacterial effect would have outweighed their other benefits. I did a quick google about it and didn't find any scientific studies supporting your theory. I did find a page that stated: "There are other foods, such as bananas, garlic and onions, which can also help repopulate levels of the good bacteria in the intestine." and another that said "When cooked and eaten with other foods, alliums [which include garlic and onions] help lower your insulin peaks, reducing inflammation, and protect you against cancer."

They are just vegetables but they have very potent therapeutic properties (which are very useful when used for the right people such as atherosclerotic patients etc.. and as the Gkint mentioned as sources of prebiotics such as inulin which promote bacterial growth in the gut) , regarding destroying gut flora you'd have to eat a LOT of raw garlic and onion to have this effect (any one doing a parasite purge programme can testify to that) and I think killing your flora would be the least of your concerns if you managed to eat this much garlic anyway. Cooked onion and garlic are fine much less potent.
    Also salt and vinegar aren't spices as the OP stated they're condiments, and spices like cumin, corrainder, ginger etc have been used for thousands of years in Asia for their incredibly valuable therapeutic uses and still are to this day (unconsciously for most people) for example how many of us reach for a hot ginger and lemon tea when they're under the weather with a headcold?

Advertisement