Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone ever win anything decent in a competition?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

a jersey signed by the entire irish rugby team in the newspaper in 2007 or 6....
    i completly forgot about it andd then 6 months later it arrived

thats about it... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

ha yeah I won a day trip to see santy in lapland:D
    I also won a family holiday to disneyland paris thanks to tesco.That was good:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Won a trip to the '96 Olympics when I was a nipper. T'was a good week.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Oh, forgot I entered a colouring competition in 94 when I was 5 and won a World Cup 94 football. I still have it and it is still pumped up!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

A bottle of wine when I was 5!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭sullivk

Couple of years back I won 2 tickets for a halloween fancy dress in some nightclub... and at that fancy dress the friend I brought along won first prize, which was a week skiing in Andorra (for both of us of course!) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Mum won an oven.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭jenny2hat

Alicat wrote: »
    A bottle of wine when I was 5!

What's a 5 yr old gonna do with a bottle of wine? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

jenny2hat wrote: »

drink it... DUUHH :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

A fire extuingisher when I was.....10? Set that baby off in the schoolyard, everything disappeared from view and I nearly shit myself :pac:

• Advertisement

robbie_998 wrote: »
    drink it... DUUHH :D

Oh sorry, my mistake. I seemed to have missed out on this in my childhood :p

A fire extuingisher when I was.....10? Set that baby off in the schoolyard, everything disappeared from view and I nearly shit myself :pac:

You seriously won a fair extuinguisher lol awesome prize :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

Oh sorry, my mistake. I seemed to have missed out on this in my childhood :p

we all know what secretly happens in the play centers when the adults are away ;)

robbie_998 wrote: »
    we all know what secretly happens in the play centers when the adults are away ;)

Maybe you do? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭I_Am_The_Walrus

Won a Nintendo DS about a year ago. Most games for it are sh*te though. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

That's what they all say ;)

I say it cos it's true, I rang it that night at 2:50, didn't get through so rang it again at 2:55, got through and won.

I haven't rang it since because I can't be bothered watching it and I figure I have no chance of getting through again, I have since bought a new phone so I don't even know if it will let me ring the number either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭paconnors

i won a years pass to the cinema and an ipod and tent from riverrock kast year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

The most i ever won was a 500euro bus eireann voucher and 100euro phone credit. It was great. It was back in the day when i was a poor student.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,448 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Won a fully inclusive holiday for 2 to Club Med in the Bahamas a few years ago in a newspaper competition.

I also won a 42 inch TV for 15 quid in a reverse auction (at the time it was worth well over €2k)

Other wins include tickets for Man U home matches and quite a few lower value prizes over the years

• Registered Users Posts: 39 acia

I won a flight on Concorde with a weekend in Paris and a mobile phone, also won €1,000 on that competition in the Evening Herald where they put a photograph of your house in the paper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ChasingDreams

I've won a laptop and a printer. I actually had to enter the competition for homework. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

I won an ipod a few years ago in a Tayto competition (where you pick up a flyer in store and post it in a box, hoping that the shop staff won't remove all the entries except theirs)

The best story I have on this topic comes from a couple fo years ago when I was on a J1 in Washington DC. Was in an Irish bar one night and Miller were running some kind of competition - didn't pay too much notice to it, but bought a Miller and gave my name to the promo girls thinking if I won I'd get a case of Miller or something like that.

At the end of the night they drew names out of a hat and mine was drawn. Wandered up to the stage half-cut and found out that I was going to be one of ten people entered into a Grand Final at the end of the summer. The prize was a 'garage makeover', which included a Jeep, a Harley and a Jetski. All the contestants were to meet at the end of the Summer at Miller HQ, you could bring ten mates for the party and at the end of the night we were each to be given a key and line up - whichever player had the key that started the Jeep would win everything.

Anyway, long story short I ended up getting screwed over a few days later with the small print saying the competition was open to US residents only. I aked the PR people who did they think they would find in an Irish bar, so they gracefully gave me a few free cases of Miller and a bunch of Miller merchandise, so at least I got something out of it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Got a cheque for 75 euro from prizebonds last week. That's about it really. Not even sure if that was me "winning" something.

A fella I used to go to school with used to win things the whole time. He used to constantly ring radio stations when they were running competitions and he nearly always got through. I remember one morning telling him I was trying to ring a competition and didn't get through.. he gets through on first ring and wins the competition. Was pretty strange..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I won a Stereophonics CD and a scholarship to the "Gaeltacht" at a national table quiz when I was fourteen. So, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭dimejinky99

Won a trip on 2fm to see and meet The Who in Madrid. All expenses and accomodation yadda yadda. Surprised cos I was told 2fms phone people just get their mates to call in for the competitions. Nice trip. The Who were lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

When I was twelve I won a 'Friends' competition on TodayFM's the Breakfast Show with Ian Dempsey for myself and five friends to go to New York. It was funny because when I was on air, Ian Dempsey couldn't believe a kid won the competition - my voice hadn't broken by that stage... After that, it clearly stated you must be 18 or over to enter any competition on TodayFM :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

A car (and 5 numbers in the Lotto on the same day).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭louisa200

I won blue peter mastermind competition of the year..... won a bbc archimedes (ya for all you computer buffs)
    went down to bbc hung out wif ed the duck
    had lunch wi john leslie
    slept in john cleeses bed

lost at the last post on the mastermind chair to some english beatch called 'astirid'

all the time my junkie dad scammin money off them cuase hed 'lost' the free drink vochers.....

havent won a thing since.. beat that mofos

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭pajodublin

won an ipod on paddypower
    won a phone with 3 at oxegen a few years ago
    won 180 on q102 for guessing the score of an Ireland match
    i won cd's on today fm and tickets to gary numan :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

It was one of those Christmas School raffles, my parents obviously bought a ticket, and they were going around the classrooms announcing the winners.

My friend got a cute poster of a kitten. I was so friggin' jealous :( All I got was some stinkin' wine :(

Advertisement