Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Boards.ie motors car of the year 2010

Options
  • 27-11-2009 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭

Given that the Irish Car of the year crowd got it so wrong. what is your car of the year?

What's your car of the year? 146 votes

Ford Ka
    0% 0 votes
    Toyota iQ
    3% 5 votes
    Nissan Pixo
    4% 7 votes
    Kia Soul
    0% 1 vote
    Toyota Urban Cruiser
    2% 4 votes
    Opel Astra
    2% 3 votes
    Mazda3
    7% 11 votes
    Honda Insight
    4% 6 votes
    Toyota Prius
    1% 2 votes
    Citroen C3 Picasso
    4% 7 votes
    Peugeot 3008 ;)
    4% 6 votes
    Skoda Yeti
    2% 3 votes
    Toyota Avensis
    2% 4 votes
    Opel Insignia
    2% 4 votes
    Toyota Verso
    26% 38 votes
    Hyundai ix55
    0% 0 votes
    Subaru Legacy
    0% 0 votes
    SEAT Exeo
    13% 19 votes
    Nissan 370z
    2% 3 votes
    Porsche Panamera
    8% 12 votes
    Lexus RX450h
    7% 11 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Does this have to be a newly released car for 2010?

If so, I'd say the Astra.

The newly discovered Gem of a car goes to the Skoda Octavia VRS facelifted model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Needs a poll and options

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

quick query > why is the upcoming year used for car of the year awards/polls ?

surely it should be the present year 2009 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

New BMW 5-series of course (F10), as it finally looks good again.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

fryup wrote: »

For the same reason you buy Decembers issue of Top Gear in November :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

fryup wrote: »

You would think so because a guy from a car magazine driving a car in a controlled environment will not get to see if flaws as they appear as the skin of time peels away.

The car of the year is only a way for companies to boost their sales because everybody assumes its fantastic because a guy in a magazine or suit tells you so.

The VW Golf is the WORLD car of the year yet most Australians wouldn't touch one with a bargepole. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,535 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

What is the Irish car of the year 2010?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

IMO......

2009_citroen_c3_picasso_4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Poll added, thread got posted while I was doing up the poll somehow. Hope all the cars are a god representation of what was launched.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

What is the Irish car of the year 2010?

peugeot-3008-to-be-l_460x0w.jpg

• Advertisement

For me its a toss up between the Yeti, Astra or Panamera. Astra ticks most real world boxes so thats the one.

Nothing really exceptional in the list IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

EPM wrote: »
    Nothing really exceptional in the list IMO

I'd have to agree - I picked the Ka because I like its looks and I think a car for 2010 has to be small and (relatively) cheap...
    2009-Ford-Ka-Official.jpg

But if I was forced to have one of the cars from the list, I be very depressed!

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Mr.David

When you look at the list you realise that there really hasnt been much released this year thats groundbreaking. Nothing there is amazing.

Looking forward to next year though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Mr.David wrote: »
    When you look at the list you realise that there really hasnt been much released this year thats groundbreaking.

I vote "No Award" based on that list.

Everything on the list was on the original European COTY list. It's just been a really poor year for nice cars (shouldve included the new E Class on the list though)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

ah come on now, Avensis... seriously:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Murcielago SV? :D

ah come on now, Avensis... seriously:confused:

Somebody voted for it! This is representitive of what us Joe Soaps like and not based on the superior knowledge of Journos (who went with the 3008)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭1948Wolseley

I like the new Prius, I gotta say. Until that Celica-replacement thigy comes along, the Prius is about the most exciting car in Toyota's range. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I went for the Insignia, because it's such a huge leap in quality and driveability over the Vectra. It's actually a car a lot of people would like to own, rather than being lumped with like the Vectra was.

Had a close up of the new Astra yesterday and it's a cracking looking car. Interior is another massive leap in quality over the outgoing model. A/C is now standard on the base model, but it's straight head to head with the Focus Style as far as pricing goes and the Focus has Bluetooth, Alloys and Fogs as standard - know which way I'd go.

• Advertisement

I also picked the Insignia. I like the looks, the engine, the spec and the price.

I have not seen the Astra and the new Mazda 3 is still nothing wildly different from the old one.

I discounted a lot of the other cars either because of the badge(so sue me) or the looks of the car.

I based my conclusion on the middle of the road model of each vehicle as opossed to the cheap entry level or the high end model with the goodies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Picked the Scooby Legacy...

Awesome beast of a machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭CONM

audi r8, ferrari 458 and California and merc e coupe should all be up there. Even with the recession its been a great year for new cars

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Picked the Scooby Legacy...

Awesome beast of a machine.

Have you driven the 2010 model? I didn't think they were in dealerships yet.

Lotus Evora would probably be my pick. That and the Clio 200 Cup.

Berty wrote: »
    Have you driven the 2010 model? I didn't think they were in dealerships yet.

Beast doesnt have to mean performance, im going off the looks of it, and the specs, seeing as how thats all we have at the moment, and the performance of last years legacy.

V_41A_09TDI_WRX001.jpg

V_39A_10TDI_LEGb015.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

R.O.R wrote: »
    I went for the Insignia, because it's such a huge leap in quality and driveability over the Vectra. It's actually a car a lot of people would like to own, rather than being lumped with like the Vectra was..

That sums up my vote nicely too.

Beast doesnt have to mean performance, im going off the looks of it, and the specs, seeing as how thats all we have at the moment, and the performance of last years legacy.

V_41A_09TDI_WRX001.jpg

V_39A_10TDI_LEGb015.jpg

Eh only one of those cars is the Legacy...and it's the fuglier of the two.

EPM wrote: »
    Eh only one of those cars is the Legacy...and it's the fuglier of the two.

Yeah the top one is the Impreza WRX, should be on the list aswell tbh, both stunning cars.

• Advertisement

Yeah the top one is the Impreza WRX, should be on the list aswell tbh

On the list of massive disappointments?

Advertisement