Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nurse gone mad!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Prime Mover

sam34 wrote: »
    my god, this statement is incredibly inaccurate.

This forum is turning into Imported Guy's Fantasy Medical WorldTM vs Reality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Narkius Maximus

This forum is turning into Imported Guy's Fantasy Medical WorldTM vs Reality

I completely agree-his posts are ridiculously inaccurate, scant of any true information.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

depends on where you work, one junior doctor may be working his butt off the 100 hours, if he has admissions lined up 24/7 (highly unlikely, doesnt happen often that your on your feet for the 24 hours on call), another one might be "working" a 100 hours but sleeping alot of them off if there are no admissions etc, they still get paid because they are "on call" and have to wake up if a call comes, and be ready.

are you basing this statement on any type of experience? because as others have said, this is deffo not the case.

I've lost count of the amount of rescue cigarettes, cups of tea, chocolate, toast, hugs ( ;)) and in one case a bag of fluids, I've had to give to interns and others over on-call shifts, because the lads were about to drop.

are you basing this statement on any type of experience? because as others have said, this is deffo not the case.

I've lost count of the amount of rescue cigarettes, cups of tea, chocolate, toast, hugs ( ;)) and in one case a bag of fluids, I've had to give to interns and others over on-call shifts, because the lads were about to drop.

They made it all worthwhile! Remember one place I worked-did a month of 1/3 call. Up all night every night in ED as only staff memeber in hospital. The ED nurses were so supportive-used to try catch a couple of mins kip in the trauma room (warmest place in the building) at a time waiting for results, xrays to come back. Care assistants would always ask me did I want a cup of tea, toast etc. The kindness of others really keeps you going.

The IV fluids were usually reserved for the days post extra curricular activities though!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

mikemac wrote: »
    Strenght has nothing to do with turning over a patient. The weakest nurse can turn over the heaviest patient.
    I saw this on a first aid course when the fire service demonstrated.
    It's not about strenght but about technique.

If you've not done manual handling, demand a course from management

hi hi. this is hilarious. maybe nurses believe this too, and that's why so many of them end up with back problems.

I was told this on a control-and-restraint course I was sent on. Size doesn't matter, we were told, and I (5'4") was teamed up with a guy who played GAA for his county (6' something - I couldn't see that high). Anyway, he was the "aggressive patient" and I launched myself at him in the prescribed manner, in order to restrain and control him. My head vanished into his armpit and my hands weren't big enough to circumscribe his wrists. We ended up in a heap laughing and the instructors stopped using the 'size doesn't matter' mantra for the rest of the course. They also gave me 'troublesome patients' who were smaller in size for the rest of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭drzhivago

depends on where you work, one junior doctor may be working his butt off the 100 hours, if he has admissions lined up 24/7 (highly unlikely, doesnt happen often that your on your feet for the 24 hours on call), another one might be "working" a 100 hours but sleeping alot of them off if there are no admissions etc, they still get paid because they are "on call" and have to wake up if a call comes, and be ready.

You really have no clue and should stop posting about hypothetical situations because you have no experience of the reality of this

I have done this for over 15 years along with others who post here and your statements are so inaccurate as to almost lead me to believe you are some sort of HSE mole

Working 100 hours is unsafe fullstop

The HSE are trying to reduce hours where they can, why then would they have someone "sleeping" while they work in a hospital it just doesnt make sense

As regards your highly unlikely I used to work full weekends on call in my early days, Friday, Saturday, sunday and go home monday evening at 7pm, every 4th weekend, as well as the outline 8am-7pm week days and one on call the week you had the weekend as well

In teh year there I can remember two weekends where I didnt sleep, didnt eat for from Saturday night until monday morning because in that place there was no one to take blood at weekends and you had to do that job as well as staffing the casualty and seeing all the patients on the wards wasnt safe for me of for them. I am glad now getting older I dont work like that and people dont have to work like that as I would not like my family to have to rely on medical care like that

You should really confine your comments to something you actually know about

nurses do hardcore work as well, some nurses work harder than some doctors, and still have to make crucial decisions, depends on speciality, if the doctor is handling multiple cases at one time, like code/cardiac arrest etc nurses have to step their game up.

Ok and where do you have the evidence to back this statement up

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I was told this on a control-and-restraint course I was sent on. Size doesn't matter, we were told, and I (5'4") was teamed up with a guy who played GAA for his county (6' something - I couldn't see that high). Anyway, he was the "aggressive patient" and I launched myself at him in the prescribed manner, in order to restrain and control him. My head vanished into his armpit and my hands weren't big enough to circumscribe his wrists. We ended up in a heap laughing and the instructors stopped using the 'size doesn't matter' mantra for the rest of the course. They also gave me 'troublesome patients' who were smaller in size for the rest of the time.

Yeah it's truly bull****. Without a lot of training it's very hard to deal with someone who's substantially taller, heavier and stronger than you if they are sober and you aren't allowed to hit them with something heavy. Even with someone your own size it can be bloody hard to restrain them without hurting them.

EU rules say, if you get 4 consequtive (6 month) contracts at the same hospital, if your hospital wants to hire you for a 5th contract, that 5th contract must be indefinate.

EU rules dont say that
    Where is your evidence
    Irish Law says if you are employed on more than 3 successive fixed term contracts the duration of which exceeds 3 years then any further extension must be for an indefinite period

That doesnt mean that this actually happens

<snip> [/URL]

I advise you strongly to remove that link
    You have stated here clearly that a family member works in this hospital, it doesnt take rocket science to work out who that is and they will not be pleased if you have put this on the net

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

Strenght has nothing to do with turning over a patient. The weakest nurse can turn over the heaviest patient.
    I saw this on a first aid course when the fire service demonstrated.

If you've not done manual handling, demand a course from management

Ah yes, seeing a video is clearly a great substitute for actually having to do the job on a daily basis. The constant bending on the job, which is inevitable for pretty much all workers, before you even mention the tough physical work to lift and turn a patient takes it's toll very quickly. You would be amazed how many healthcare workers are receiving ortho and physio treatment for what seem like simple tasks. I prolapsed a disc 2 days after finishing a cardiac locum job in a dept where the chief thought it was perfectly adequate to do outpatient ECG's on a chair. Not much of a clinic morning where I could be seeing 40 patients was spent upright and was a complete disservice to both staff and patients. My back flares up from kneeling and bending to do children's EEG's and my right shoulder cracks continuously from reaching around patient's heads and from having to head roll or roll completely unconscious ones who are effectively a dead weight to move. My OH has had repeated physio on his left shoulder from doing echo's left handed, even in the dept's with ergonomic right handed couches, a lot of CT's who do echo's on a full time basis will need physio from reaching around patients especially if they're small in stature. Try doing the job and then see how much of that video you believe.

• Advertisement

drzhivago wrote: »
    You really have no clue and should stop posting about hypothetical situations because you have no experience of the reality of this

I have done this for over 15 years along with others who post here and your statements are so inaccurate as to almost lead me to believe you are some sort of HSE mole

He's not a mole. He is Walter Mitty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I'm sorry we are actually training more medica students than ever before, the number of NCHD posts have actually increased up until quite recently

Apologies for my inaccuracy, I shouldn't post on the wonders of Drs and their training, its a weird and wonderful world of itinerancy I know so little about. I thought interns were thinner on the ground and presumed less were being trained (insert line about never presuming etc). In fact Travellers have more chance of being settled than junior drs. :P

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Apologies for my inaccuracy, I shouldn't post on the wonders of Drs and their training, its a weird and wonderful world of itinerancy I know so little about. I thought interns were thinner on the ground and presumed less were being trained (insert line about never presuming etc). In fact Travellers have more chance of being settled than junior drs. :P

Ha-good post. Every july and january when changing posts I'll slap on the theme tune to the littlest hobo, and sing,

"There's a bleep that keeps on bleeping me
    Down on the wards , that's where I'll always be.
    Every stop I make, I make a new friend,
    Can't stay for long, just turn around and I'm gone again

Maybe tomorrow, I'd get to settle down,
    Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Down this career that never seems to end,
    Where medical misadventure lies just around the bend.
    So if you want to cover me for a while,
    Just grab your scrubs, come travel light, that's junior doc style.

Maybe tomorrow I'll get to settle down,
    Until tomorrow, the res room is my home.

Maybe tomorrow, I'll get consultancy, Until tomorrow, you know I'm freeckin wrecked!!

Sorry, last lines don't really rhyme

Advertisement