Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you still go to mass on sunday?

Options
1181920212224»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

lol, how petit. I said there are studies, which there are. I'm still waiting for you to quote my ''statement''.

I thanked Bob Harris' post because it was funny.
    Funny? Yeah right.

He said a statement, you replied back with the post that "Actually there are studies which show that the average IQ of atheists is higher than theists".
    Now, unless you agreed with it somewhat you would not post "evidence" attempting to back up his claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Funny? Yeah right.

He said a statement, you replied back with the post that "Actually there are studies which show that the average IQ of atheists is higher than theists".
    Now, unless you agreed with it somewhat you would not post "evidence" attempting to back up his claim.
    Bob_Harris wrote: »
    God is not real

Religious people are stupid

/thread
    Actually, there are studies to show that on average atheists have a higher IQ than theists, I read this in one of Dawkin's books, so don't bother asking me to link to it!

Hmm...
    This quote doesn't mention bob's comment at all, he was just stating an interesting factoid. The fact that studies are done on something like this is interesting, is it not?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Yes it does make sense. No need for the sarcastic smiley, It makes sense because science describes the physical process of creation, it does not describe the reason for creation of existence or the point of existence. From any creator's works, you can see traits of the creator in their work, If science is indeed the work of god, then studying science will complement religion.

I see, does science explain how it all came to be in 6 days? Or do you just ignore that part of the bible as well?
    Read my above post.

I did, you still accuse me of saying something I didn't.
    Yes I am disputing this as there is no cold hard facts to discredit the existence of god. If you can find some please do tell.

That's funny, I didn't say it discredit's the existence of God, I said it discredits RELIGION.

I see, does science explain how it all came to be in 6 days? Or do you just ignore that part of the bible as well?
    I am not a creationist, The creation story is not meant to be tooken literally. It is merely there to explain purpose rather than method.

I did, you still accuse me of saying something I didn't.
    Fair enough, I don't want to spend too long on this, it has absolutely nothing to do with the thread.

I think this may be the 10th time this thread has been derailed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

MagicMarker: This link may explain some of your questions concerning the Genesis passage and modern science.

• Advertisement

I think this may be the 10th time this thread has been derailed
    Derailed by you, it would seem.

Malty_T wrote: »
    Hmm...
    This quote doesn't mention bob's comment at all, he was just stating an interesting factoid. The fact that studies are done on something like this is interesting, is it not?
    It does not mention it in its words but the context it is in matters.

Here is the timeline
    B. Harris' original post
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63248807&postcount=641
    Malty Ts next post
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63248922&postcount=642
    My next post
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63248922&postcount=643
    Jakkass' next post
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63248922&postcount=644
    A post by Stercus Addict in support of Bob Harris
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63249090&postcount=645
    The post by Magic Marker
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63249090&postcount=646

That shows agreement to my eyes.

Edit: It looks like those links aren't working.....
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055752309&page=43

From #641 to #646 anyway

It does not mention it in its words but the context it is in matters.

Here is the timeline
    B. Harris' original post
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63248807&postcount=641
    Malty Ts next post
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63248922&postcount=642
    My next post
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63248922&postcount=643
    Jakkass' next post
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63248922&postcount=644
    A post by Stercus Addict in support of Bob Harris
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63249090&postcount=645
    The post by Magic Marker
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63249090&postcount=646

That shows agreement to my eyes.

Well in that case, it's either you or me that's exhibiting this.

Derailed by you, it would seem.
    Excuse me?

Have you been reading this thread since the beginning? Each time this thread has went off topic it was because a militant atheist comes in with a comment attacking religion in general and blaming the abuse on religion which I defend as I have said more than once
    My only agenda, Is to condemn those guilty and defend those innocent

It is the anti-theist people such as yourself who have derailed this thread with your comments.

Somebody in this thread even said that "Jesus Christs loves Loving kids". That is trolling and looking for a reaction and you can be sure it was not from the theist side.

Excuse me?

Have you been reading this thread since the beginning? Each time this thread has went off topic it was because a militant atheist comes in with a comment attacking religion in general and blaming the abuse on religion which I defend as I have said more than once

It is the anti-theist people such as yourself who have derailed this thread with your comments.

Somebody in this thread even said that "Jesus Christs loves Loving kids". That is trolling and looking for a reaction and you can be sure it was not from the theist side.
    Once again you have read my post and assumed I've said something which I didn't.

Did I say you have derailed this thread every single time? No, I did not. But you did derail it this time, which is what I was referring to.

• Advertisement

Once again you have read my post and assumed I've said something which I didn't.

Did I say you have derailed this thread every single time? No, I did not. But you did derail it this time, which is what I was referring to.
    I did not, I don't recall sparking any debate in this thread about the truth of religion. Not even once. Its always an atheist who picks out a line or two and quotes me leading to my reply.

I know you did not mean that I personally have derailed the thread, you came across as saying that it was the theists who were derailing the thread.

Anyways, I really have had enough of this thread, I have an irish exam tomorrow and I need the study more than anything right now.

I did not, I don't recall sparking any debate in this thread about the truth of religion. Not even once. Its always an atheist who picks out a line or two and quotes me leading to my reply.

I know you did not mean that I personally have derailed the thread, you came across as saying that it was the theists who were derailing the thread.

Anyways, I really have had enough of this thread, I have an irish exam tomorrow and I need the study more than anything right now.

Yet again you missed MM point.
    He did not say that theists were responsible for all the derailements, he said you were responsible for one.

You have yet again responded to a point he did not make.
    Responding to something that someone didn't say is pointless.

Yet again you missed MM point.
    He did not say that theists were responsible for all the derailements, he said you were responsible for one.

You have yet again responded to a point he did not make.
    Responding to something that someone didn't say is pointless.
    Look malty,

I was not responsible for a single derailment in this thread, I didn't spark a single argument about the truth of religion.

In any case, please stop quoting my posts to get me to reply back, I'm gonna fail irish if I have to keep talking in this thread.

As if it mattered, I'm hopeless at irish anyway :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

The reasons why people who believe in God are stupid
    • Because I said so
    • Logic
    • Academic intelligence and the stupidity of religious people are two different things
    • He's a magic bearded guy who lives in the sky and he created the world in 7 days
    • Every logically impossible story in the bible
    • Inability to accept that there is no purpose to life and no afterlife

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

• Because I said so
    • Logic
    • Academic intelligence and the stupidity of religious people are two different things
    • He's a magic bearded guy who lives in the sky and he created the world in 7 days

pot/kettle/black i would say....

Dont worry my child I have turned the other cheek and forgive you.

• Because I said so

Let's just leave it at that shall we.

• Because I said so
    • Logic

1. That's opinion, not objective fact.
    2. Christians have been presenting logical explanations of why or how God's existence is the case for centuries.
    3. I don't believe God is a "magic bearded guy", infact no Christian does unless they are gravely misinformed. Rather God is a spirit or a presence, He is without body in my belief.
    4. If God exists, it isn't logically impossible that He can influence His Creation or be involved in our lives.
    5. Who says that this is true? It is precisely that people say that there is no purpose to live that I find it hard to believe. It isn't logical from my point of view, that all of this exists without any considerable rhyme or reason to it.

Jakkass wrote: »
    2. Christians have been presenting logical explanations of why or how God's existence is the case for centuries.
    3. I don't believe God is a "magic bearded guy", infact no Christian does unless they are gravely misinformed. Rather God is a spirit or a presence, He is without body in my belief.
    4. If God exists, it isn't logically impossible that He can influence His Creation or be involved in our lives.
    5. Who says that this is true? It is precisely that people say that there is no purpose to live that I find it hard to believe. It isn't logical from my point of view, that all of this exists without any considerable rhyme or reason to it.

2 : Logic cannot prove/disprove God.
    3 : Neither do I,It is a common misconception.
    4 : Yep, but he sure does work in mysterious ways.
    5 : I find it arrogant of the theistic to expect the universe to explain itself to them.

2 : Logic cannot prove/disprove God.
    3 : Neither do I,It is a common misconception.
    4 : Yep, but he sure does work in mysterious ways.
    5 : I find it arrogant of the theistic to expect the universe to explain itself to them.

2. People can explain their beliefs logically, without either proving or disproving.

5. I don't expect the universe to explain itself to anyone. I don't expect anything. What I have found, on the other hand is a worldview that does explain our purpose, why we are the way we are, how to live the best way possible, and how to make sense of this existence. Rather I was pleasantly surprised, that I do not have to live as a slave to secular society, and to the expectations of other human beings, but I can have freedom through God's grace.

What I have found, on the other hand is a worldview that does explain our purpose, why we are the way we are, how to live the best way possible, and how to make sense of this existence. Rather I was pleasantly surprised, that I do not have to live as a slave to secular society, and to the expectations of other human beings, but I can have freedom through God's grace.

That's what I think is arrogant, explaining "our purpose".
    Every individual unique and our existence isn't due to anyone goal or thing.

What's all this crap about a slave to a secular society? Secular societies tend to be far more liberal and allow you to live the way you want, that means freedom of religion and equal freedom of others to other religions.
    All belief systems are treated equally meaning there does have to be compromises, I'm sorry if that upsets people.

• Advertisement

2. People can explain their beliefs logically, without either proving or disproving.

What exactly is the pointing in using logic if you're not actually going to prove a point?

That's what I think is arrogant, explaining "our purpose".
    Every individual unique and our existence isn't due to anyone goal or thing.

I don't think it is arrogant considering that we think this view comes from God. If I said that I had a plan for everyones life, it might come across as arrogant. However, seeking a plan for my life from God, who created me with a purpose doesn't seem arrogant in the slightest. All people like me say is that all people have this opportunity, and that there lives will be transformed positively forever if they take it up.

This notion is inspired by the following passage:
    For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.
    What's all this crap about a slave to a secular society? Secular societies tend to be far more liberal and allow you to live the way you want, that means freedom of religion and equal freedom of others to other religions.
    All belief systems are treated equally meaning there does have to be compromises, I'm sorry if that upsets people.

Ever heard of slavery to sin Malty T? That's what I am referring to. I don't have to be a slave to sin, I can be free to serve God as He wants me to rather than living as humanity wants me to.

Ever heard of slavery to sin Malty T? That's what I am referring to. I don't have to be a slave to sin, I can be free to serve God as He wants me to rather than living as humanity wants me to.

Well given the abstractness of your statement, you could have clarified it first time around.

Still though, how is a secular society stopping you from living God's word? No one is forcing you to do anything. You are free to practice your beliefs as you choose as long as they uphold the laws of society, which is what Jesus preached anyways.

All people like me say is that all people have this opportunity, and that there lives will be transformed positively forever if they take it up.

Have we met?
    Because I used to say that for a while too.

Now I say the exact same thing regard atheism.
    It sets you free.:)

Still though, how is a secular society stopping you from living God's word? No one is forcing you to do anything. You are free to practice your beliefs as you choose as long as they uphold the laws of society, which is what Jesus preached anyways.

I'm not arguing against secular state or having laws that aren't affected by religion, that's a given. Secular society is different (I.E Society that has no concern for higher truth) it demands things that are incompatible with many peoples beliefs. The only way to extract ourselves from the pressures of mankind, is to freed by God to live as one should.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Mass is for inferior idiots.

Why would anyone want to go?
    God is not real

Religious people are stupid

/thread
    • Because I said so
    • Logic

Banned for constant trolling.

This thread is now closed as yesterday was Sunday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement