Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question?

Options
  • 26-11-2009 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

There is another thread describing bray as a kip.

So easy to be a critic isn’t it.

However my question is what actual changes would you like to see in Bray?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

I have answered the other thread defending the town but firstly there can be no doubt Bray needs a facelift be it in the way of the proposed new town centre. It is way ahead with the tasteful Christmas lights though (compared to Dun Laoghaire anyway). Perhaps also the previously proposed development of the Herbert Road car park would be no harm. I hope the Carlisle Grounds get their proposed development also:

http://www.braywanderers.com/news-article.php?id=1999

Off the top of my head that's it but I'm sure I'll add to this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

One suggestion would be to upgrade the quality of the shops in the town... Every other shop is a pound or a charity shop. Get rid of the 'head' shop on main street and ditch the tattoo parlours, does Bray really need three of them?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

The type of shops here are a result of the downward spiral of the town. In a free market it is not possible to say simply we can "get rid of" certain kinds of shops. It's much better to try to analyse the reasons for the decline and then hopefully reverse it.
    There is a major traffic management problem in Bray. How many times have people approached Bray from the Shankill side and found traffic backed up to (and past) the Dublin Road roundabout. Then you inch forward as far as the Royal Hotel to find the Main St. completely empty of traffic. There appears no good reason for the delay, other then the timing of the traffic lights.
    Likewise, coming down the Vevay Hill to the town, chances are you will be delayed either one minute or else fifteen.
    It should not be difficult for planners to figure out why this happens and introduce a simple solution. Instead the council want to introduce more and more complex measures, the latest being the proposed bus lane up the Main St.
    A number of years ago I worked for a while with a Bray taxi company. I remember a couple of days prior to Christmas the traffic lights in the town broke down and it was a couple of days before they were repaired. The traffic in the town never flowed better. Not just up and down the Main St. but cross traffic too. Of course once the lights were "fixed" we returned to the usual chaos.
    On the same note, the lights at the junction of Boghall and Killarney Rd. were out this week and traffic seemed considerably better.
    Anyway, until it is made easier for people to get into and out of Bray they will continue on the motorway to Dundrum, Carrickmines, etc, and who can blame them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Kilmac Kid

I think the proposal for the Carlisle is a disgrace. That was given to Bray wanderers on a lease. The directors will get rich if they get there develpment through and not the club.

As regards improving Bray.we need the golf club to go ahead. Unlikely now with the floods at the moment in Ireland. The only other solution is to close off traffic on the main street and put a roof on it. I was talking to a security guard that works in Dundrum and he reckons 30% of the cars going in have WW reg plates. i admire the shop in Bray group but it is hard to when you havent enough choice.

The councillors on the new council are all trying to build their own profiles up and are all rowing their own boats rather than work together. It doesn't matter what politics you are at the moment, Bray needs to come first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 aidan_mc

Kilmac Kid wrote: »
    As regards improving Bray.we need the golf club to go ahead. Unlikely now with the floods at the moment in Ireland.

This should never have even considered.Can you imagine the mess parts of little bray would possibly been in if it had gone ahead!!!!

The two possible solutions to the towns decline have both ended up as a sham and no one has been made responsible for this.

Although I would love to bring my son to Santa in Bray. I'll be go to Dundrum this weekend.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

aidan_mc wrote: »
    The two possible solutions to the towns decline have both ended up as a sham and no one has been made responsible for this.

What 2 possible solutions?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    What 2 possible solutions?
    florintine centre and the golf course i am assuming?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭chocgirl

The seafront needs to be completely revamped and legislation put in place to monitor the types of establishments that can open. So many amusements and chippers really bringing the place down. Parking issue really has to be tackled as well but don't know if there is any realistic solution at the minute.

There are some really really good ideas here

http://www.braylionsclub.com/files/yes_we_can_09_-_master_copy.pdf

In an ideal world - here are some things I would like - some are easy, some are impossible

Ban chewing gum - It's a blight on our streets

I'd like to see a tidy towns group formed that would work with businesses and residents groups

I'd like to see a cinema built on the old cash and carry building opposite the DART

I'd like some public art on the seafront - mosaics maybe

I'd like better use made of the Harbour, Naylors Cove and The Dargle River Walk and The peoples park

I'd like to see the Florentine Centre development go ahead and the Golf Club development not to - however the Dargle River Walk should be improved

I'd like some kind of civic forum to encourage people of Bray to come up with ideas like the above and work on them in order to build a sense of pride in the town

I'd like the Town Council to take action against owners of derelict sites

I'd like Iarnrod Eireann to clean up and maintain the DART station area

Another bridge over the Dargle to reroute traffic would be a good idea

A simple thing that I would like to see is a tidier library

A multicultural food festival

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Having recently moved offices to Bray from the city centre and having pretty low expectations I have to say I am pleasantly surprised by Bray. Parking is not really a problem and is cheap, there shops are not that bad and there is a wide selection in mainstreet, everything is not too far from everything else, yes, I am quite happily surprised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

In an ideal world - here are some things I would like - some are easy, some are impossible

I'd like to see a tidy towns group formed that would work with businesses and residents groups:
    this has already been doen, called the Bray Litter Task Force and is forming a tidy towns commitee contact Bray Town Council if interested in helping out or Pm me

I'd like to see a cinema built on the old cash and carry building opposite the DART
    the shop local movement has written to cimnema owners inviting them to look at bray

good idea, although would they be targetted for graffitti

I'd like better use made of the Harbour, Naylors Cove and The Dargle River Walk and The peoples park
    playground placement here very poor, still over run with drinkers etc

I'd like to see the Florentine Centre development go ahead and the Golf Club development not to - however the Dargle River Walk should be improved
    i think the ice rink is a start and the hoarding is gone, I agree though new blood needed here

I'd like some kind of civic forum to encourage people of Bray to come up with ideas like the above and work on them in order to build a sense of pride in the town
    canvass your local councillors and council, what about Dick Roche he lives on herbert road, liz Mc manus on the sea front and we have Joe Behan as well all relatively high profile politicans lobby them maybe ?

this does happen they so serve derelict site notices

I'd like Iarnrod Eireann to clean up and maintain the DART station area:
    i agree maybe we should email them ?

I agree, although the proposed DTO bus corridor if it goes through should help things
    http://braytowncouncil.ie/pages/posts/bray-quality-bus-corridor243.php

A multicultural food festival : at the first Bray Garda Station day ethnic groups were invited to bring food which they did and everyone shared
    there loads of yummy indian stuff !!!
    contact Eileen at the Bray Area Partnership if your interested in attending a meeting of the Bray Intercultural Dialogue Committee maybe you could take ownership and get this thing off the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

maybe we need to be pro active and start a Boards for Bray group ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    There are some really really good ideas here

http://www.braylionsclub.com/files/yes_we_can_09_-_master_copy.pdf

I'd like to see a tidy towns group formed that would work with businesses and residents groups

I'd like Iarnrod Eireann to clean up and maintain the DART station area

A multicultural food festival

Lol, how are you going to stop people chewing chewing-gum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭waves

"I'd like some public art on the seafront - mosaics maybe
    good idea, although would they be targetted for graffitti"

One might think so but if you look at the two murals on the seafront (the one done during summerfest on the toilet wall near the boathouse) and the one of Bray beach at the gas suppliers near the Harbour Bar, neither of those has been touched.

Similarly, the mural at Campo hasn't been touched either.

The council seem to be quite open to suggestions - if there's a practical idea, they will run with it.

Lets be positive about something. We have a great theatre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

chocgirl wrote: »
    The seafront needs to be completely revamped and legislation put in place to monitor the types of establishments that can open. So many amusements and chippers really bringing the place down. Parking issue really has to be tackled as well but don't know if there is any realistic solution at the minute.

Are you for real? The amusement arcades (didn't realise there were any left) and the chippers are part of what made Bray Seafront a great place in the 1960/70s. What would you like to see more concrete bunkers (sorry shelters), ghastly modern lighting and even more pubs?

I note elsewhere on this thread a mention of more murals being a good idea - God help us but I would have thought there was already enough art in the town with all the awful grafitti by the railway, on the sewage treatment plan, at the back of Bono's (?) Martello tower etc, etc....Bray is indeed a thorough going kip! :mad:

Are you for real? The amusement arcades (didn't realise there were any left) and the chippers are part of what made Bray Seafront a great place in the 1960/70s. What would you like to see more concrete bunkers (sorry shelters), ghastly modern lighting and even more pubs?

I note elsewhere on this thread a mention of more murals being a good idea - God help us but I would have thought there was already enough art in the town with all the awful grafitti by the railway, on the sewage treatment plan, at the back of Bono's (?) Martello tower etc, etc....Bray is indeed a thorough going kip! :mad:

Ok So you have told us whats wrong with the town now can you tell us what you would like to see !!!

Personally I think the sea front needs to be policed better. Where customers of certain pubs just run wild at night and taxi drivers illegally park every night. It’s not safe even to collect people from these establishments. The customers treat the seafront as a place to p**s, puke and of course break empty glasses. I as a resident do not feel safe and will not let my child play around the shelters and reluctantly allow him near the bandstand.
    The owners of these establishments need to be brought to task however this will never happen when the council is held to ransom by the sole sponsors of the festival.
    If you are one of these customers I would like to ask you how would you like me to P**S in your garden every Saturday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I served my time in Bray 1961-89 and by the time I left it had gone so far downhill that I was glad to shake off the dust and head for the hills.

Ways to improve the town? Such a vast topic as there is so much wrong with it. I think, if it was up to me, I would start with the railway station as it is the first part of the town which many visitors see. It too is a kip and as such does at least prepare the visitor for what lies beyond - closed-down bookstall, derelict toilets, closed down pub/cafe, the remaining shop is dingy and down at heel. The station itself is in a permanent stay of being rebuilt - even where 'improvements' such as the murals are being tastefully renewed the end result is marred by the appending of individual sponsors names to each mural. Tacky, tacky, tacky and I have raised this with the people behind the project but my arguments were dismissed.

All the grafitti on the approaches the railway adjoining the Carlisle Grounds, old Gasworks site etc needs to be permanently erradicated.

The seafront needs to be restored to its Victorian splendour and as a start the the gun emplacement/shelters should be removed, the seating replaced along the full length of the promenade, the cast iron seat backs that also ran the full length of the promenade should be reinstated. Consideration could be given to developing a vintage/heritage amusement arcade on the sea front as both Dawsons and the Fun Palace seem to have bitten the dust, the gardai should be instructed to retake the seafront area from the lowlife who have taken it over after dark, the reinstatement of Naylors Cove as a swimming amenity should be investigated as also should the rebuilding of the Chairlift to the Eagles Nest........I could go on but what's the point as there is much chance of Bray UDC, and populace, of putting a rocket into orbit round the moon. Sorry but I think it's too late...last one out switch off the lights. :mad:

• Advertisement

on the issue of the bray sub forum I got a reply
    Hi Aidan,

I doubt there will be, given the amount of time the thread's been open. If there was a lot of regularly updated Bray related threads in the Wicklow forum, then it would be more likely.

So start posting guys

I agree with you Aidan that the beach is mad on a Saturday night.The current council have a vested interest in keeping it that way. One of the councillors in particular as he seems to get most of the summerfest money for organising it as well as other things. I am not trying to attack him personally as I would have voted for his party in the election. What it has shown me is that they all look after themselves and the publicans of the beach have their own man on the council. This councillor will never upset the publicans so how can he represent all of the inhabitants of the area.

If I am down that way with the Kids I tend to go to the park on the Sidmonton road. It is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

loobylou wrote: »
    There is a major traffic management problem in Bray. How many times have people approached Bray from the Shankill side and found traffic backed up to (and past) the Dublin Road roundabout. Then you inch forward as far as the Royal Hotel to find the Main St. completely empty of traffic. There appears no good reason for the delay, other then the timing of the traffic lights.

Yes, this drives me mad pretty much every evening or any sunny weekend. It's often taken me longer to get from the M11 sliproad to the crossroads at Old Connaught as it has to get from the city centre to the slip road.
    aidan_mc wrote: »
    on the issue of the bray sub forum I got a reply

So start posting guys

To clarify, that reply was from me and I have absolutely no say in whether a forum is created or not - nor was I suggesting posting for the sake of it to bump up the post count :)

eoin wrote: »
    Yes, this drives me mad pretty much every evening or any sunny weekend. It's often taken me longer to get from the M11 sliproad to the crossroads at Old Connaught as it has to get from the city centre to the slip road.

I presume that the proposed widening of the Dublin Road will have an impact on this

Terry Pratchet

Cant see them widening road if development of golf club lands does not take place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

The traffic actually starts to clear at the junction with Old Connaught road. I think those lights are the culprits.

In terms of the thread topic. I'd be someone who can see both sides. I love Bray and think it has a lot going for it but I also think its bit of a kip in quite a few areas.

Unfortunately I am a bit cynical that things will improve that much. It the place couldn't get a proper facelift or if all the derelict or decrepit properties here there and everywhere didn't get developed during the boom, what hope is there for the next 10 years during the bust.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

On another note I saw that they are going to close the Boghall road from 18th January to sometime in February (4th of February?). What works are they going to do during that time? Diversions will go the Vevay-Southern Cross-Killarney Roads and vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Preusse wrote: »
    On another note I saw that they are going to close the Boghall road from 18th January to sometime in February (4th of February?). What works are they going to do during that time? Diversions will go the Vevay-Southern Cross-Killarney Roads and vice versa.
    I couldn't find anything on the Bray Town Council or Wicklow CoCo's website about this (nothing new there then). I presume it's only a small section, not the entire road.

What I did see though was plans to build a QBC through Bray Main St. ... that's going to be fun :) See http://braytowncouncil.ie/pages/posts/bray-quality-bus-corridor243.php?g=4

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Hi Alun,

it was mentioned in this weeks' Bray People (small notice by the Council). It may only be a small section but they did say that if you travel to the Eastern part of Bray you should use the Killarney - Southern Cross - Vevay Road route and if going to the Western parts use the Vevay Road - Southern Cross - Killarney Road route. That sounds like a substantial part of the Boghall would be closed?

• Advertisement

Hi all

just drawing your attention to this survey

www.braysurvey.com

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement