Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chapter One Restaurant

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I can't believe how closed minded some people are still.
    A good few people have put it more eloquantly that I will but here goes anyway.

I go to michelin stared resteraunts for quality, not just quality food, but quality drinks, quality decor, quality staffing. The Quality drinks part should be be included and it is within their remit to provide such as the beers the currently serve are only good for washing flavours out of your mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

I printed off Chapter One's wine list today; and it is 26 A4 pages long. Possibly with every type of wine imaginable from all around the world. But what selection of beer is there? Hardly any.

I would exclusively have wine with food (and love a good one) and always assumed that the reasons for the lack of good beers on the menu of good restaurants was the perishability factor. But I also like a good beer every now and then. But when I read the comments of the beer officianados on here about the shelf life of beer, it amazes me.

Why are restaurants doing this?
    Is it possible that there is a commercial reason? Does beer have less of a profit margin? Is it possible that the average spend of a person who drinks beer is less than if they rae forced to drink wine?

I am grasping at straws here because it really makes no sense that such excelllent restaurants would choose to restrict their choices for no ther reason than a bit of old-fashioned snobbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

drkpower wrote: »
    I would exclusively have wine with food (and love a good one) and always assumed that the reasons for the lack of good beers on the menu of good restaurants was the perishability factor. But I also like a good beer every now and then. But when I read the comments of the beer officianados on here about the shelf life of beer, it amazes me.

Why are restaurants doing this?
    Is it possible that there is a commercial reason? Does beer have less of a profit margin? Is it possible that the average spend of a person who drinks beer is less than if they rae forced to drink wine?

I am grasping at straws here because it really makes no sense that such excelllent restaurants would choose to restrict their choices for no ther reason than a bit of old-fashioned snobbery.

To be honest, I don't think it is really deliberate. I think that many restaurateurs don't realise that international best selling beers are the beer equivalent of Jacob's Creek or Blossom Hill. More restaurateurs realise this but reckon on the market for quality beers being too small to bother with. I think it's a bit like restaurants catering for vegetarians - most make a token effort - but the market is too small for them to really bother.

As was said before, everything about a restaurant should reflect its standard. A Michelin starred restaurant simple should not serve industrial beer any more than they should serve instant coffee or Vienetta for dessert.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 sourgrapes

Give them a call and ask them what beer they have. They are generally really accommodating so why not ask if you can bring your own (if you're really nice about it)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,808 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

With apologies for digging up an old old thread:

Chapter One now sells O'Hara's beer in bottles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Saermegil

The Larder in Dublin has the O'Haras and organic cider, was there the other day and had the IPA with a lovely steak

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,808 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Saermegil wrote: »
    was there the other day and had the IPA with a lovely steak
    I've been doing that a lot. €15 for a fantastic steak and a bottle of IPA is hard to beat.

Advertisement