Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Honda Accord/ New prices?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Biro wrote: »
    I've seen quite a few around. The reason it's not popular is the Irish plebs still think pouring their money into a poverty spec A4 is a better bet. Fools.

Unfortunately, from a cost perspective it still is. Running costs and depreciation on a base A4 will be lower than any model Accord.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

I was looking at buying one a hile ago as well prices went up and then dropped again.

The irish would rather an older bmw/audi than a reliable accord all about badge snobbery if you ask me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

R.O.R wrote: »
    Unfortunately, from a cost perspective it still is. Running costs and depreciation on a base A4 will be lower than any model Accord.

Running costs? No. An Accord diesel will be just as cheap to run as an A4 diesel. Depreciation might be something, but Audi has to compete with the floods of UK A4s coming over when they price your second hand one, so there may not be just as much in that either. In any case the Accord is a much better car.

Running costs? No. An Accord diesel will be just as cheap to run as an A4 diesel. Depreciation might be something, but Audi has to compete with the floods of UK A4s coming over when they price your second hand one, so there may not be just as much in that either. In any case the Accord is a much better car.

Running Costs - Yes
    A4 - Combined fuel consumption - 5.1 L/100km
    Accord - Combined fuel consumption - 5.6 L/100km

A4 - Road Tax - €156 per annum
    Accord - €302 per annum

A4 will always hold it's value better than an Accord, that's just the way it is, regardless of the amount of competition coming in from the UK.

This isn't just wild speculation, it's my job to compare this sort of thing.

I will agree that the Accord is a nicer car, but there isn't a lot in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Running Costs - Yes
    A4 - Combined fuel consumption - 5.1 L/100km
    Accord - Combined fuel consumption - 5.6 L/100km

A4 - Road Tax - €156 per annum
    Accord - €302 per annum

A4 will always hold it's value better than an Accord, that's just the way it is, regardless of the amount of competition coming in from the UK.

This isn't just wild speculation, it's my job to compare this sort of thing.

I will agree that the Accord is a nicer car, but there isn't a lot in it.

Compare like with like. The 120bhp A4 is in the €156 category. The 140bhp is in the €302, and is still a few bhp short of the Accord. The Accord engine is better and more refined, the difference in fuel economy is so miniscule that different driving styles will have a far greater impact on it, the Accord is bigger, better equiped, better looking, better engineered, better handling and better value. Also isn't 10 a penny! But let people off with their A4's if they like.

• Advertisement

Compare like with like. The 120bhp A4 is in the €156 category. The 140bhp is in the €302, and is still a few bhp short of the Accord. The Accord engine is better and more refined, the difference in fuel economy is so miniscule that different driving styles will have a far greater impact on it, the Accord is bigger, better equiped, better looking, better engineered, better handling and better value. Also isn't 10 a penny! But let people off with their A4's if they like.

You were comparing paddy spec A4's to the Accord. Paddy spec means the cheapest so that's what my comparison was based on. The 136bhp E Model A4 actually falls in to category A (119g) for emissions so is €104 to tax, and has lower consumption. The 143bhp Model (manual Saloon) also falls in to category B for emissions and is therefore €156 to tax. Consumption only increases to 5.3 L/100km so still better than the Accord.

The Accord is bigger, but not by a lot, base spec models between the 2 have very little difference. The A4 handles better than the Accord, but the new Accord is much better than the outgoing model - still not quite on par with the Audi though.

At current pricing, the Accord does not represent better value for money than a base model A4 - for the reasons I outlined in this post and a previous post. I wish it did, then I'd have more Accords to choose from in 3 or 4 years time when they are returned. For the moment I have no new model Accords and that's the way it will stay while it's more expensive for companies to lease an Accord than an A4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

I like the look of the new Accord Estate as well, particularly the back of it (tailgate, glass and lighting arrangement). The saloon model and especially with what I would class as an American type front grill, looks very generic and bland. The interior and dash layout reminds me of the current 5-series. Overall you just know the car is extremely well built and will be very reliable. A cut above more pretentious entry-level German offerings. Alas the new model will further undermine the residuals of the older one, yet give it two more years and this newer model will be available in the UK with 50% depreciation on the new list price. So better to wait and also buy used.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

Whats the warranty on accord v a4 and servicing costs between the two?

Does the a4 have a timing chain or belt?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

The Accord is bigger, but not by a lot, base spec models between the 2 have very little difference. The A4 handles better than the Accord, but the new Accord is much better than the outgoing model - still not quite on par with the Audi though.
    Couldn't agree with this. A4 is very numb - absolute zero feedback, poor ride over rough surfaces at low speeds, grips well but not fantastic when pushed. More to handling than grip! The Accord deals with the poor surfaces much better and has a more sophisticated chassis for twisty roads. You know what's going on with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Couldn't agree with this. A4 is very numb - absolute zero feedback, poor ride over rough surfaces at low speeds, grips well but not fantastic when pushed. More to handling than grip! The Accord deals with the poor surfaces much better and has a more sophisticated chassis for twisty roads. You know what's going on with it.

Far, far better looking car than the A4 as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement