Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Honda Accord/ New prices?

Options
  • 24-11-2009 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi all. Wondering will Honda move their prices the same as other companies have. In the market for a top spec diesel accord but best price so far in 38000 for straight deal. Honda not moved prices at all even though bmw, vw, skoda and lexus all have.Any inside info on possible changes??:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭patmartino

sheafield wrote: »
    Hi all. Wondering will Honda move their prices the same as other companies have. In the market for a top spec diesel accord but best price so far in 38000 for straight deal. Honda not moved prices at all even though bmw, vw, skoda and lexus all have.Any inside info on possible changes??:confused:

Thats new 520d SE and E class 220cdi money

• Registered Users Posts: 33 sheafield

Maybe it is but get a lot more for your money with Honda. no sat nav, leather etc etc with those spec mercs and bmws. priced a 318d business model 2day and still 40 grand!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Maybe it is but get a lot more for your money with Honda. no sat nav, leather etc etc with those spec mercs and bmws. priced a 318d business model 2day and still 40 grand!:mad:

And its a much nicer car. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

One of the Google ads on the top of this page has prices you can use as a guide versus the local dealer network prices, a possible bargaining tool.

http://www.newcarsavings.ie/component/content/article/23-accord-main-page/17-honda-accord (Mods remove link if inappropriate).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

TomMc wrote: »
    One of the Google ads on the top of this page has prices you can use as a guide versus the local dealer network prices, a possible bargaining tool.

http://www.newcarsavings.ie/component/content/article/23-accord-main-page/17-honda-accord (Mods remove link if inappropriate).

I don't see that as a bargaining tool because by in large those vehicles will come from the UK, I would have to imagine and because of this the dealers know they will not be able to compete on pricing and won't be interested to at those prices and already at their tight margins.

The prices on the Accord ARE tempting though but to consider the resale value of a MPH UK import is something to consider.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

patmartino wrote: »
    Thats new 520d SE and E class 220cdi money

E220 starts at 43k, and prob doesn't even come with an alarm.

From the site mentioned above the Accord 2.2 iCTDi starts at 32k.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Official word from my Honda dealer and Universal Honda (Ireland) are that they are not going to drop prices.

Unofficial word when I enquired was to hold off on ordering anything as there might be something in the pipeline, and plenty of stock so no issue for January.

Doesn't really help anyone at the moment, but if Honda do want to sell any cars next year they really have to look seriously at their pricing.

If they were to position the Accord against the Mondeo / Insignia which is where it is in the UK, they'd sell a good few cars - but they just don't seem interested at all in volume, just profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

R.O.R wrote: »
    Official word from my Honda dealer and Universal Honda (Ireland) are that they are not going to drop prices.

Unofficial word when I enquired was to hold off on ordering anything as there might be something in the pipeline, and plenty of stock so no issue for January.

Doesn't really help anyone at the moment, but if Honda do want to sell any cars next year they really have to look seriously at their pricing.

If they were to position the Accord against the Mondeo / Insignia which is where it is in the UK, they'd sell a good few cars - but they just don't seem interested at all in volume, just profit.

I'm not sure the Accord competes head-on with Mondeo/Vectra in the UK. If you're talking about 'prestige' or brand value, I think an Accord is somewhere between the Ford/Opels of this world and BMW/Audi etc. If those above and below are slashing prices however it leaves the Honda very poor value.

Also, perhaps Honda was worth the premium over 'lesser' rivals once upon a time - excellent engines, engineering etc. The mid-size market is very competitive these days however and most of the contenders are pretty excellent. I'm don't think the Accord is worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Rylan

IMHO you are paying for the badge with the audi and BMW. Audi especially. Te accord is a far superior car and far more reliable.

http://www.reliabilityindex.co.uk/man_index_2.html?searchtype=relindex&apc=11913195781996932

pburns wrote: »
    I'm not sure the Accord competes head-on with Mondeo/Vectra in the UK. If you're talking about 'prestige' or brand value, I think an Accord is somewhere between the Ford/Opels of this world and BMW/Audi etc. If those above and below are slashing prices however it leaves the Honda very poor value.

In the UK the Accord is a direct competitor to the Mondeo / Insignia / Avensis. It's usally tested alongside those vehicles in the group tests. For some reason in Ireland it's pitched higher than the "Rep Mobiles" and against the likes of Volvo or Saab in the semi-premium sector.

Obviously a business decision by Universal Honda some time ago to go for profitability over volume. Due to the current market, even the premium brands are going for the volume which will leave Honda with no market share.

Since January 2008 I've bought exactly 1 Honda - and that was a Civic IMA. That makes up less than 0.5% of cars bought in that time so they need to do something to start vehicles shifting.

I've bought 7 Alfa's and a FIAT in the same time frame, just to put figures in to perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Berty wrote: »
    I don't see that as a bargaining tool because by in large those vehicles will come from the UK, I would have to imagine and because of this the dealers know they will not be able to compete on pricing and won't be interested to at those prices and already at their tight margins.

The prices on the Accord ARE tempting though but to consider the resale value of a MPH UK import is something to consider.

I don't think many people would care about the MPH clock when they are getting a great spec car at a decent price.

If the OP gets the UK car at a good price, then he wont mind taking a small hit on resale when that time comes. He might not even have to take a hit and could end up with a great end of term depreciation value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

+1. You buy a car second hand based on condition, service history and extras. A MPH or KPH speedo isn't a valid reason to undermine residuals further. Especially if the car is bought by it's previous owner brand new, rather than imported second hand, where it's provenance is more open to debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

What would your opinion be on cars with digital speedos which can be changed from MPH to KMPH ? I know the Accord doesn't have one, but the Civic does.

testicle wrote: »
    What would your opinion be on cars with digital speedos which can be changed from MPH to KMPH ? I know the Accord doesn't have one, but the Civic does.

And the Citroen. I don't like either but if they can be changed so be it.

What about potential window etchings of the number plate on the windows?
    What about Toyotas with their "Rough Road Package"?
    What about the Rover 75 where you cannot get a rear number plate to fit it in this country? ( I know they no longer exist ) :p

As I was partaking in a thread recently about buying a car for my company car in the UK I have no aversion to doing so but everybody needs to have the full picture before running across the border thinking EVERYTHING is better.

There was a woman on RTE news last night in Newry saying "Everything is SOOOO Cheap up here"

Hmmmm You saved 20c on a can of beer(example) but spent €70 in petrol getting it.

You might go to the UK and buy an Octavia and not get the PDC or Bolero radio that the Irish car gets but save €1,500 except those parts costs €2,180 extra here and you get them for free.

Not everything can be so black and white.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Sometimes it doesn't make economical sense to buy goods from the UK.

But in this case, providing the Honda is the same or better spec than the Irish version, they why not check it out? Ring the dealer and get him to talk you through the differences in UK and Irish models. Then see what discount you can get on the UK list price :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Hmmmm You saved 20c on a can of beer(example) but spent €70 in petrol getting it.

Ah but if you buy over 350 cans of beer, you'll have covered your petrol money. An not everyone drives from Limerick!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Who do Honda think they are codding? Accord EX €40k. Similar spec BMW 520d SE Business Edition with lower tax, more power, better economy and better residuals €42k. No brainer....

• Registered Users Posts: 33 sheafield

thanks for the info guys. It does seem honda might be testing sales and holding prices. Actually looked at skoda supberb 2day. Wow you get soom spec for small money. 31000 at most for 170 bhp top spec, it'll even park itself!! Would love accord but am thinking about skoda. not half as nice to look at but in the car all day so comfort is more important

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Who do Honda think they are codding? Accord EX €40k. Similar spec BMW 520d SE Business Edition with lower tax, more power, better economy and better residuals €42k. No brainer....

the BMW is an outgoing model and the Honda is a new model so you would expect BMW to be giving discounts on the 5 series

thanks for the info guys. It does seem honda might be testing sales and holding prices. Actually looked at skoda supberb 2day. Wow you get soom spec for small money. 31000 at most for 170 bhp top spec, it'll even park itself!! Would love accord but am thinking about skoda. not half as nice to look at but in the car all day so comfort is more important

When it starts to wash itself I might be interested. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Honda08

was just offered €15,000 value for my trade in ( 2007 accord auto 67,000km)

against a new accord.

:eek: how do they plan on selling any cars at the prices they are offering
    no wonder they are going to the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Honda08 wrote: »

against a new accord.

My mate was offered €19k last December, on a 06 Accord Manual Exec spec with 2.2diesel (26,000miles) against a new one. Needless to say he declined their offer. The proof is out there...very few new shape accords on the road

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    .very few new shape accords on the road

Saw my first new shape Accord estate the other day. Gotta say it looks fantastic!

Saw my first new shape Accord estate the other day. Gotta say it looks fantastic!

Big isn't it!

I saw a tiny old woman driving one stuck to the steering wheel. She would have been lost in a Corsa.

Saw 2 NI reg Accord Saloons on the M50 one day. The only others I've seen on the road were the one I test drove (courtesy of Universal Honda) and the other had Newgate Motors plastered all over it as the salesmen lives near me.

Think that says a lot about it's popularity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Honda08 wrote: »

against a new accord.

Sure that's all it's worth. What did you expect? If you were buying you'd be criticising them for not selling you the car for €14k.

Big isn't it!

I reckon it's smaller than the old estate - which had taken a fair battering from the ugly stick!

testicle wrote: »
    Ah but if you buy over 350 cans of beer, you'll have covered your petrol money. An not everyone drives from Limerick!

Only saw this now.

True not everyone drive's from Limerick. Either would I because I do not live in Limerick City or County myself. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Honda08

the arse has fallen out of second hand accords. ( old model )
    07 exec models are selling for as little as 14k with 30,000km on them:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

R.O.R wrote: »
    Saw 2 NI reg Accord Saloons on the M50 one day. The only others I've seen on the road were the one I test drove (courtesy of Universal Honda) and the other had Newgate Motors plastered all over it as the salesmen lives near me.

Think that says a lot about it's popularity.

I've seen quite a few around. The reason it's not popular is the Irish plebs still think pouring their money into a poverty spec A4 is a better bet. Fools.

Advertisement