Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE: The Savage Eye

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Johnny Giles

Funny Stuff.

He jumps up and grabs the Irish Language by the breasts.

LOL :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 oferfaille

Or somebody with a modicum of intelligence and wit.

And anyone comparing McSavage to Flann O'Brien is either on a wind-up or David McSavage. Or the most stupid person alive.

Edit: Just noticed that person has 2 posts and joined yesterday. McSavage it is. Which also qualifies him for the most stupid person alive. Win Win!

jeez you're really up on the detective work Coopersgreen... but honest to God, hand on my heart, I SWEAR i'm not Dave McSavage. You've got to believe me!

What the Modh Coinniollach?

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Those children abused by priests jokes are so hilarious in the light of the report published today. He's a ****ing prick of the highest order.

Not at all. What McSavage does is satire. He takes the piss, but with good reason. To show up the hypocrisy and unexplained idiosyncrasies of Irish culture.

Top comedian in my opinion. Seen him live in Galway a while back and I nearly died laughing. He's up there with Dylan Moran, Maeve Higgins, Dermot Morgan, the list is endless.

Keep 'em coming McSavage. An incredibly enjoyable show so far. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭Rondolfus

Top comedian in my opinion. Seen him live in Galway a while back and I nearly died laughing. He's up there with Dylan Moran, Maeve Higgins, Dermot Morgan, the list is endless.

LOL do you have problems with people taking your seriously??? "David McSavage is up their with Dylan Moran"???? Oh dear god!

Yea that explains all the success he's had:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Not at all. What McSavage does is satire. He takes the piss, but with good reason. To show up the hypocrisy and unexplained idiosyncrasies of Irish culture.

Maeve Higgins :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

You got there before me. Maeve Higgins is funny as cancer. I'll never understand how she got on TV or radio or stage...:rolleyes:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

Yep, Maeve Higgins.

but McSavage is a prick on Grafton Street. This show was great. Better than expected considering the other sh.t on the station.

TURRRF
    rus26c.jpg

"I love the sound of the word turf.

Beginning with t and ending in f - turf. The middle sound is ur making the beautiful sound of turrrrf, turf, turf. I would love turf flavoured tea before you turf me out, said the man who lives down by the bay made of turrrrf, turf, turf.

The bog contains the memory of the people..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭Rondolfus

Yep, Maeve Higgins.

lol i get it now. Nice trolling:pac:

• Advertisement

"I love the sound of the word turf.

Beginning with t and ending in f - turf. The middle sound is ur making the beautiful sound of turrrrf, turf, turf. I would love turf flavoured tea before you turf me out, said the man who lives down by the bay made of turrrrf, turf, turf.

The bog contains the memory of the people..."

Classic scene! :D

Classic scene! :D

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1060811

Begins at 9:18

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Not at all. What McSavage does is satire. He takes the piss, but with good reason. He's up there with Dermot Morgan, the list is endless.

Know what ? I somehow wish he was up there with Dermot Morgan :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

Rondolfus wrote: »
    How anybody can think this fool David Andrews (Oh sorry "Mcsavage"), is a comedian is beyond me. The man has been loitering around the comedy circuit for the past 15 years trying in vain to get noticed.

His "Comedy" is so ****, he even had to resort to standing on a street corner with a guitar slagging people off to get noticed! There's a guy that does that on dorset street, but instead of a guitar he holds a bottle of wine ( and he is slightly touched)

Even "McSavages" political and RTE ties failed to mask his inadequacies. Tell me, how did this **** busker get to be a guest on the Late Late show in 2005?????!!! ****ing disgrace!

The Andrews family have done nothing but ruin this country. First with fianna Fail and now with RTE. Tubridy and his equal talentless cousin "Mcsavage" should be given a one way tickets to Dignitas. We the Irish people have suffered enough! Why is our TV licence paying for the continous ****e that RTE peddle out continously!??

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

I think you have to look at the Savage Eye on it's own merits and forget Dermot Morgan et all. This wasn't a groundbreaking show, but it was surprisingly better than expected and I think the overall feedback suggests it. I never liked Savage, and hated his appearences on the LLS but this has changed my mind slightly. He's showing some balls, playing around with controversial material and some of it is genuinely funny. If you're just here to do the usual 'RTE are ****e' thing, fair enough, and even though there are plenty of threads already for you to vent your ire, I think you have a right to offer a decent critique of the show. Saying 'Maeve Higgins is as funny as cancer' is literally about as funny as cancer, and if that's the best you can do in the humour stakes, I think I'll take Dave McSavage over you anyday..

Looking forward to seeing the second episode, and hope it's even better.. Cos you know what? I actually want a good RTE comedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Lemondrop kid

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Please tell me you mean Paths to Freedom and not the woefully off-the-mark feature film spin-off?

Sorry, AnonoBoy, I mean the spin off...:D

To me in PoFreedom, the upperclass character wasn't wholly convincing, but Rats totally was. Rats is a excellent character study, so real at times it was unsettling, but mostly taking the character to the extreme limits, without the audience losing sympathy for him - real skill.

As for the Higgins bashers, i'd actually like someone to explain why they don't think she's funny.
    You do realise she is also taking a type of Irishness - the rural suppressed female neurotic low self esteem nutter - an pushing it to the extreme for comic effect...?:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭RABTMOUSE

I watched the show on the iplayer yesterday- it entertained me enough to watch the next one.

I was interested to read this board. I just had to laugh out loud at the amount of begrudging comedians, or should I say “comedians” posting here. These are people who have been in comedy for the past 3-5years and are still not getting paid gigs, but are still turning up at the comedy clubs oozing negativity, with their ‘I’m misunderstood’ heads on them. You’re not misunderstood, you’re merely NOT TALENTED.
    I also find it amusing to see people who hate McSavage tuning in to watch his show just to give out about it- you’ll probably watch the entire series! Haha! Brilliant:D!

But (although the majority fall into the above category) there are clearly also people here who without any personal reasons, don’t like the show-

Fair play to any comedians who get a show on TV, I’d love to get the opportunity. Unfortunately it is extremely difficult to get anything innovative commissioned by RTE. My personal opinions of McSavage aside, it’s refreshing to see RTE take a risk here.

Oh and a couple of people mentioned Fianna Fail connections and Tubridy connections- you obviously have no idea how RTE works. I can assure you.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭InisMor

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    Just watched this on iplayer. Wanted to dislike it but actually enjoyed it a lot! Its a step up from the usual RTE rubbish.

Two questions -

Why is THE SAVAGE EYE playing on the BBC website?:P

Why would you "want to dislike" anything before seeing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭InisMor

Those children abused by priests jokes are so hilarious in the light of the report published today. He's a ****ing prick of the highest order.

What is? Bad timing?

If the show had aired a month ago those sketches would be funnier - "in light of the report published today"!!!

one of the more idiotic things I've ever encountered.:rolleyes:

Flann O'Brien wasn't so great. Had a lot of haters in his day too.

James Joyce is crap. Wrote boring rubbish altogether.

Maeve Higgins makes me ill. Literally. I actually go mental just hearing her voice - left eye starts twitching and I get a headache but as soon she stops talking I go away. I've seen her twice on the TV and both times I through up when I saw her face.
    I'm not slagging her off. This actually happens. Kind of feel dizzy now just thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭podge018

Seen the repeat last night, thought it was very funny and will be tuning in again tomorrow night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

A Disgrace wrote:
    I think you have to look at the Savage Eye on it's own merits and forget Dermot Morgan et all. This wasn't a groundbreaking show, but it was surprisingly better than expected and I think the overall feedback suggests it."

So mediocrity and lack of actual talent or insight is fine once you disregard all contemporaries or benchmarks.

I suppose the Atari 2600 is grand when you disregard the PS3. Or a Model T does the job when you disregard the Focus.

The guy is a hack. The "turrrrf" sketch, what the heck was that? If you want to laugh at people making silly noises, The Den is on from 6am to 6pm every day...

The turf sketch was the best thing since I started playing for Leeds United.

The Mary Robinson stuff with her "housebound" and associated birdcage is bloody funny. The previous one that you can see on youtube (search mary robinson tequila) is better tho...

turf sketch good too.

Des Bishop sketch was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Proxy wrote: »
    The guy is a hack. The "turrrrf" sketch, what the heck was that? If you want to laugh at people making silly noises, The Den is on from 6am to 6pm every day...

I thought it was a (fairly obvious) dig at Heaneys recurring use of, and reference to, bogs in his work.

Especially when the whole episode was taking a dig at the humourless and snobbish attitude a lot of people take to Irelands importance to "the arts" I thought the image of Heaney wandering through the bog, uttering deep meaningful musings, while set against the ridiculous repetitive "turf" echoing throughout was actually very good, and one of the smarter sketches.

I wouldn't be the biggest fan of McSavage, but I think this show was pretty good. Some of the sketches were funny (and there was a surprising depth to some of them, eg the turf one), and the show moved along quickly enough that the poorer sketches didn't take up an excessive amount of time. By their nature sketch shows are hit and miss, and this one had enough hits for me that I'll watch it next time around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 focusfan

It was a good attempt and being funny but its been done to death before. The Irish joke is long past wearing thin. Its not an RTE issue if any broadcaster did this it would be the same as the material simply isn't there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭coopersgreen

InisMor wrote: »
    What is? Bad timing?

If the show had aired a month ago those sketches would be funnier - "in light of the report published today"!!!

one of the more idiotic things I've ever encountered.:rolleyes:

Yes, because the idea of priests ****ing young boys is hilarious and original once a damning report hasn't been published. Grow up.

Yes, because the idea of priests ****ing young boys is hilarious and original once a damning report hasn't been published. Grow up.

Savage makes it funny. The great thing about the Irish is that we can laugh at ourselves. Raping with a crucifix is not funny in real life but the scene where McSavage says he had an erection through the whole screening of Home Alone was funny. The other priest replies that that is why we need you. Gripping viewing.

Episode 2 coming up in 6.5 hours. The Irish and sex. I don't think it will be as funny though. You never know, McSavage may have added in another priest sex scandal reference into this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭coopersgreen

It wasn't funny. It was tired, hackneyed, unoriginal and boring.

McSavage couldn't make Brian Cowen burning to death funny. And that's about as funny as it gets.

• Advertisement

It wasn't funny. It was tired, hackneyed, unoriginal and boring.

McSavage couldn't make Brian Cowen burning to death funny. And that's about as funny as it gets.

Grand. Some people will hate it, some people will like it. Not everyone is going to agree.

I thought it was absolutely fantastic. Best thing produced by RTÉ in years

:)

Advertisement