Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I got (not)scientology in my mailbox

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

I know a fair bit about this.

1. Dianetics "The modern science of mental health" (the book that the seminar is pushing) isn't about the aliens. That only gets revealed later on (allegedly).

Dianetics was a mental health program when it was first written, and stayed that way until the late 50's, when the a tax bill arrived and the organisation became Scientology.

Scientology is not regarded as a religion in Ireland (at least not by the Revenue Comissioners, they do not have charitable status as means of forwarding a religion) so have none of the charitable tax breaks).

Now, here's where it gets interesting.

in the US, they have tax breaks which are not available to other religions.

In Australia, they have charitable religious status which gives them some corporation tax breaks and VAT exemptions/breaks. This is currently being investigated.

In the UK, they are registered as an Australian company, which gives them the breaks that they recieve in Australia. If they lose the breaks in Australia, they lose the breaks in the UK.

In Ireland they are still about €1m in debt as of the 2008 accounts, even theough they sold about 285k worth of books and "services"/Auditing. they paid €53k to their staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Dartz

My granny is dianetic...

She has to do some bloody suger thing every day and can't drink coke. Poor thing. Why would anybody want dianetics?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    eating sacrifical bread is proven to help increase your defence against the *gay* disease....
    Thanks for the tip.

Is there any corrolation between recovery from drug addiction and joining cults ?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭themadhair

Dianetics was a mental health program when it was first written, and stayed that way until the late 50's, when the a tax bill arrived and the organisation became Scientology.
    Not quite. Initially Hubbard peddled it as a science and got bankrupted out of existence due to being sued for practicing unlicensed medicine. The Hubbard Dianetics Foundation went bust in 1953 over this which led to Hubbard starting again, only this time using the banner of a religion to avoid being sued over his scientific claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    i think the seminar is £70 not the book. though I wouldnt put it pass them...

The book is worth every penny :D.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dianetics-Modern-Science-Mental-Health/dp/1903820146/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259089372&sr=1-1

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

70 euro? jesus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

kowloon wrote: »
    haha, first customer review by Anonymous

hahahha

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I have the book Dianetics, but I'm not a scientologist yet, thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Mod
    Don't bump old threads please.