Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Koscheck to get title fight with GSP ?

Options
  • 23-11-2009 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭

Instead of Hardy ?

Firstly, I don't like Koscheck or I don't like Hardy ( I'm a GSP fan BTW), but anyway. Considering Koscheck's performance against Anthony Johnstone, I'd agree with his after fight appeal to Dana White. Koscheck's beaten the more formidable oppostion. Since GSP hasn't fought since UFC 100, I cann't see them delaying his next fight due to a Koscheck v Hardy fight first.

Even though I think in the politics of things White and the UFC management will give a UK fighter the oppurtunity first, I still think Koscheck should be the number one contender. So what do you think folks ?

Koscheck's previous fights - http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Josh-Koscheck-9418

Hardy's previous fights - http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Dan-Hardy-10629

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

It should be Hardy. Koscheck already had his chance and although he has come along way since then and is now, IMO, alot better, it would be nice to see someone else get a shot. One or two more wins on the trot for JK might put him back in the title scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Hardy has been offered it so Koscheck should fight the winner of this 1, GSP.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭O'Leprosy

cowzerp wrote: »
    Hardy has been offered it so Koscheck should fight the winner of this 1, GSP.
    I suppose. Still it will be nice to see GSP beating that conceited a$$hole Hardy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Dancor wrote: »
    It should be Hardy. Koscheck already had his chance and although he has come along way since then and is now, IMO, alot better, it would be nice to see someone else get a shot. One or two more wins on the trot for JK might put him back in the title scene.

^^^this

• Registered Users Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭cletus

O'Leprosy wrote: »
    I suppose. Still it will be nice to see GSP beating that conceited a$$hole Hardy :)

I think a lot of what Hardy does is designed to garner attention, and he's doing it very well. People either love him or hate him, but either way it'll put bums on the seats when he fights

Personally i pay little attention to the personas that fighters have, and I'm looking forward to the fight

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Dave Meltzer said Hardy is next and UFC has told Josh to drop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

I really like Kosheck he always brings his A game and has improved year in year out.

Koscheck is a better fighter than Hardy. GSP will destroy Dan Hardy its not even fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

i doubt after the hardy fight gsp will have any other fights at 170.

theres no-one left at 170, after johnson lost to koscheck the only other real prospect was gone.

I cant wait till he moves up! the WW division will be so stacked

i doubt after the hardy fight gsp will have any other fights at 170.

theres no-one left at 170, after johnson lost to koscheck the only other real prospect was gone.

I cant wait till he moves up! the WW division will be so stacked
    " theres no-one left at 170, " What about Josh Koscheck ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

When?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

" theres no-one left at 170, " What about Josh Koscheck ?

i just dont see him doing much different than at 74. i know josh has improved alot since then but so has pierre.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,973 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I'm a fan of Koscheck.

He always steps up whenever asked, even at very short notice and puts on good fights.

Hardy was told that if he won, he'd get a title shot though, so Koscheck will just have to wait in line.

adamski8 wrote: »
    When?

74, He lost by decision. And I know it was not for the title, but whats the point having him fight for the title when he was man handled then by the now champ.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

I thought Hardys win was more impressive then Koschecks latest outing, the repeated eye poking was in my opinion a factor in a win over Johnson.

That will throw anyone off their game, and Koschecks mysterious eye injury that was gone as soon as the round ended left a sour taste and bad impression in my books.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

74, He lost by decision. And I know it was not for the title, but whats the point having him fight for the title when he was man handled then by the now champ.

GSP lost badly to Matt Hughes but beat him the 2nd and 3rd time. So That arguement doesn't hold water.

But..... I'm a GSP and KOS fan. I hate Dan Hardy (mostly cause of the hair). I want GSP to destroy Hardy. Keep the schedule as it is.

GSPfan wrote: »
    GSP lost badly to Matt Hughes but beat him the 2nd and 3rd time. So That arguement doesn't hold water.

So do you think Koscheck can beat GSP now?

Everyone was split between GSP and Hughes the first time around and MH then > JK now. Also GSP said himself that he showed Hughes to much respect the first time out.

The-Game wrote: »
    I thought Hardys win was more impressive then Koschecks latest outing, the repeated eye poking was in my opinion a factor in a win over Johnson.

That will throw anyone off their game, and Koschecks mysterious eye injury that was gone as soon as the round ended left a sour taste and bad impression in my books.
    Good point about Koshcheck and the repeated eye poking. Anyone know, is this a habit he has had in other fights ?

And indeed, his own mysterious eye poke from a knee :rolleyes:. Very suspicious.

So do you think Koscheck can beat GSP now?

Everyone was split between GSP and Hughes the first time around and MH then > JK now. Also GSP said himself that he showed Hughes to much respect the first time out.
    Koscheck lost by decision to GSP in UFC 74 which was two years ago. When a fight can goes the distance and it goes to decision - cann't be too much of a gap between them. And also that was over 2 years ago, a man can improve a lot in two years.

Gsp finishes kos over 5 rounds if they fight again. Hes just a really bad matchup for kos, as he is much better than him in every area.

Hardy is next, and then if kos can get past daley impressively, maybe he'll after that.

In regards to the eyepokes. I think they probably did take the wind out of johnson sails a bit. The big question is whether they were intentional? tit for tat ala kongo v cro-cop.

Koscheck lost by decision to GSP in UFC 74 which was two years ago. When a fight can goes the distance and it goes to decision - cann't be too much of a gap between them. And also that was over 2 years ago, a man can improve a lot in two years.

That works both ways, GSP is a whole different animal today then he was 2 years ago too.

Good point about Koshcheck and the repeated eye poking. Anyone know, is this a habit he has had in other fights ?

And indeed, his own mysterious eye poke from a knee :rolleyes:. Very suspicious.

A Very mysterious "injury :confused:" indeed!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 maharg92

after 107 jon fitch is going to be right up there as well coming of a nice win streak i'd say he'll want a rematch with GSP aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

That works both ways, GSP is a whole different animal today then he was 2 years ago too.

A Very mysterious "injury :confused:" indeed!!
    here you go guys: the mysterious eye injury solved!
    http://media.photobucket.com/image/recent/davis77/1y1tw7.gif
    Did ye really think he wanted to get the fight called off or something, think one thing we can say he aint afraid of anyone or lacks a will to fight

Do you really think JK had any chance against Gsp then or now?

GSP played with JK like a rag doll in that fight, he out wrestled him. Alot of GSP's recent fights have going to decision, have you had any doubts at the end of them about the outcome? Yeah JK improved alot and fair play to him but GSP is also a different animal to two years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

if i remember rightly, Koscheck's face was an obsolute mess after that fight. as above, rag doll is a good description of how gsp dealt with him. Def a case of dont rely on a decision victory as a story of the fight. GSP's style in a 3 round fight could end that way against anyone with good durability, conditioning and decent amount of heart. Wouldnt dictate that they did anything more than survive it though

Would've thought it should be JK to fight fitch tbh (not that either of them will want it) if hardy has already been given the nod for a pummelling

adamski8 wrote: »
    here you go guys: the mysterious eye injury solved!
    http://media.photobucket.com/image/recent/davis77/1y1tw7.gif
    Did ye really think he wanted to get the fight called off or something, think one thing we can say he aint afraid of anyone or lacks a will to fight

Compare that to any of the replays of Johnson getting poked in the eye, this barely made any contact, more so with the cheek, but at least he wasn't claiming it was resulting from the knee.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

I say let them fight each other and see who wants it more! In saying this I hate hardy more than any other UFC fighter so I would like to see either koscheck or GSP put him to sleep for about an hour and shut him up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 syncsyncboot

Ah leave GSP vs. Hardy. I'm actually excited about that one.

Of course GSP can/most likely will through Hardy around like demon and beat the bejaysus out of him but I also like Hardy's accuracy and his chin.

It's a good match up.

Not as good as GSP vs. Alves - but a great match up in my opinion!

Koscheck has had his title shot and he will get another but he shouldn't be too greedy :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

Koscheck didnt get a title shot yet :confused:

Edit: Had to watch it again after all the talk, JK didnt do as badly as i remember but looking at it now, GSP has improved hugely since that fight, with help from with greg jackson and also having the confidence now of holding and retaining his title (some may argue JK has improved also but not to same extent imo)

for those who didnt see the first fight http://mmadepot.blogspot.com/2007/12/george-st-pierre-vs-josh-koscheck.html

Do you really think JK had any chance against Gsp then or now?
    As I said I don't like JK, but ofcourse he's got a chance against GSP, certainly a better one than Hardy. But even Hardy with his punching power and his own tough chin has a chance against GSP. We're not talking about a gay hairdresser verses Brock Lesnar here.
    GSP played with JK like a rag doll in that fight, he out wrestled him. Alot of GSP's recent fights have going to decision, have you had any doubts at the end of them about the outcome? Yeah JK improved alot and fair play to him but GSP is also a different animal to two years ago.

Yes it works both ways compared to 2 years ago and improvement. GSP mainly out wrestled JK in UFC 74. Reckon 4 times All American champion JK underestimated GSP's wrestling. He wouldn't make that mistake again. The grappling will be closer next time when GSP and JK meet, GSP's striking to make the difference this time.

But as GSP fan said " I want GSP to destroy Hardy. Keep the schedule as it is. ":)

• Advertisement

Gsp is a far better wrestler, grappler and striker than kos. Kos's only chance would be to catch him with a big right hand or somehow get on top of gsp. I dont see that happening though.

I actually think hardy has a better chance at gsp than kos. Hes a scrappy kid with good striking. He could possibly catch gsp on the feet.

GSP is still a massive favourite though.

Advertisement