Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which pram?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Moomoo1

thanks. Silver Cross do seem mighty expensive though...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I work in the nursery/pram industry. (Unlike themysteriousson, I'm not afraid to say it!)
    To be honest, get the pram that suits your lifestyle.
    If you live in the city and have to use public transport get a compact lightweight easyfold buggy, maybe a maclaren techno xt or techno xlr.
    If you use your car a lot make sure the buggy you buy fits your boot along with everything else you need.
    If you plan to walk a lot get a sturdy air filled tyre model, like a mura/phil&ted/quinny
    regardless of whether you live in the country or the city. The bigger the wheel the easier it is for you to push and it's more comfortable for your baby rather than being shook around.
    Bad footpaths in new estates are boneshakers just as much as country roads.
    It's not the end of the world if your car seat doesn't fit onto your pram/pushchair. Babies are only meant to be in the rearward facing infant carriers for max 2 hrs at a time.
    If you are getting an infant carrier that sits on your pram, go the whole hog and buy a base, belt in or isofix if your car has the fittings. It's one less thing to worry about and takes the risk out of installing the car seat incorrectly.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Thank you Borderline-plain English at last! Most of the baby sites have my head wrecked and many are geared at city living and/or shopping.

I'm impressed with the MaxiCosi Mura 3 and the MyChoice, but am planning on having another babs within 2 years so Phil&Teds seem to be the best bet without buying a twin one.....agh......

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I have the mura4 and love it:)

I am not really a fan of the phil and teds,there is a lovely icandy that can do double and single too,it is expensive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I personally love the phil&teds, although I do like the dash and the sport versions over the vibe.

Its a very sturdy buggy and the fact that it takes up to 2 toddlers to a combined weight of 44kg is brilliant. It's easy to fold and very easy to push (which can't be said for most twins/tandems)
    The weight is only around 10kg for the buggy, which compared to most twin buggys is very light (most twin buggies weigh in the region of 14/15kg)
    All the fabrics are replaceable so if you're just starting out it will last for years.
    It can be used with the maxi cosi infant carrier and also has lots of other little quirky things like the "lazy ted", a frame that you can turn your double kit seat into a bouncer.

A lot of people dont like the fact that one child is "below" the other, but this way there is good sideward vision, also the centre of gravity allows ease of movement for the parent pushing it.

The whole ethos of phil&ted is about making life easier for the parent on the move, everything is designed firstly with the parent in mind and then adapted to make the childs journey safe and comfortable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭themysteriouson

There are a few brands you may like to consider :
    Silvercross Sleepover Deluxe, Babystyle Lux, Neo Nato Multisport / Synchro sport, Icandy cherry. They all have the pram part but unfortunately will also come with the seat unit aswell. Not many brands just sell the pram and frame on their own without the stroller part. Starting price would be neonato for value and the most expensive would be Silvercross. Its worth your while having a look at a few models in the nursery stores to see if anything suits you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Moomoo1

well, we went for the Out n About Nipper 360 in the end, bought it in the UK (180, plus 6 pounds for the pump). Felt we couldn't really afford the whole shabang with a carrycot and the like. However, the Nipper combines lightness with an ability to go on bumpy roads, and it got rave reviews everywhere.

The child will be facing away, but I guess you can't have everything...

• Registered Users Posts: 39 MusRo

Has anyone here bought a Britax Vigour 3+? I bought this after Christmas for my baby who is due in April. Obviously, I am very happy with it but haven't taken it for a test drive yet :). I'd love to hear anyone's stories, good or bad, about their experiences.

This is the travel system I bought (We bought the Mars Red fabric option):

http://www.britax.co.uk/pushchairs/vigour-3-plus

I really love it as it has everything I need and so i'm not going to change it at this stage ;-). However, it is always nice to hear about other people's experiences with a product.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Bubbles09

Hi all I have the iCandy cherry and it is so light and easy to use!
    you get the lie flat pram part the car seat and the stroller seat for when the baby gets older so it does you until baby is out of buggy..
    I am now expecting another and I bought the graco tandeum duo it is also very light and it has two proper sized seat one in front of the other which both recline and folds easily

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Radiotower

We trying to decide between the iCandy Peach and the BabyStyle Oyster - heard lots about the iCandy but not so much on the Oyster, seemingly its not out that long. anyone have any experience using either?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Brainz

sorry for hijacking the thread but my partner and i are due our first in September :D:D and we have been looking around at buggies/travel systems, so we have chosen either the Silvercross 3d or Hauck Condour. Any one have any advice or reviews of either?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

I got the Mamas & Papas Pliko travel system for my little lady & used that for the first month.
    Its great because it can be turned 4 different ways; lie flat pram for baby, click the car seat onto top either facing toward or away from you and as a stroller when baby is older.
    Its a really sturdy pram too& easy to maneuver.

The only problems I had with it (well that my daughter had!) was that she hates lying flat when out for a walk so the pram bit was wasted on us.
    Also, my car doesn't have the correct mounts for the isofix base & the second base I bought (the surefix) didn't make matters much easier as I had a 3 door car at the time.
    It also was a squeeze fitting it into my tiny hatchback so I ended up buying a second hand Quinny Buzz as it was one of few prams that would fold up into the minute boot I had. (LOVE it, its turquoise! :cool::D)

I also had to buy a Graco car seat as they have the autobaby base that you seat belt into the car and can release the car seat with one click.
    Other than that I had to click the car seat in, then climb in the other side of the car to fit the seat belt around :rolleyes:

What can I say, I'll know better for next time! In the end I changed the car to a 4 door, my poor back was in bits after just a month of wrestling the car seat in and out of the 3 door!
    When I was pregnant my car was a Ford Capri (hence my user name, love them!) but I sold that so I could get a 'sensible' car. In hindsight the Capri would've been perfectly practical and I would've fit 3 buggies into the huge boot on it! :(

The M&P Pliko was bought for me,with all the bells and whistles they're €700+
    I have it advertised in adverts.ie now if anyone's interested ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Pippacoo

I have been looking at the icandy apple jogger ..just wondering can it be upgraded to an icandy pear? Also has anybody used a buggy board with the apple jogger?
    Thanks!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Pretty sure the apple transforms to the pear.
    My only problem with it is that it is perfect for twins but not so much a toddler and baby.
    http://www.babygizmo.com/news/icandyapple2010.php

I am searching for a newborn and a child that will be just going 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 rejoycer

Have you tried the OBaby Apollo Plus & also the tandem that's a little like the P&T's one - it's quite nice light weight, i know there's a shop in Terenure that stock it.

http://www.obaby.co.uk/products.php?category_id=150

was looknig at the xi sport myself in a shop a few weeks ago.
    I was quite impressed,it has nearly swayed me towards a tandem and was only £199. Have a few months to go but preferred it to the standard Phil and Teds.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,366 ✭✭✭✭ted1

get a cossatto cabi. Smith's are doing a great deal on them. We've had ours for just over a year now and are very happy with it. There really is no need to spend more than 350 on a buggy stroke pram. All the extras are included like rain cover foöt cosy. They also take maxi cosi car seats by using convertors

The handle height isn't adjustable on them is it?

Otherwise if it is the one that I am thinking of, it is a lovely light travel system but not suitable for tall people.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,366 ✭✭✭✭ted1

no, its probably the only draw back. i'm 6ft and its ok for me, the misses is about 5' 6 and its perfect for her.

I am 5 4 and found it a bit low but know people shorter that have no issues at all.
    It is what took it off the options list for us.
    It is lovely though and light and everyone I have spoken to with them is very happy with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Moonbeam wrote: »
    was looknig at the xi sport myself in a shop a few weeks ago.
    I was quite impressed,it has nearly swayed me towards a tandem and was only £199. Have a few months to go but preferred it to the standard Phil and Teds.

Hey Moonbeam,
    We're in the same boat as yourself, #2 will be arriving when #1 is 20 months old. Is the Obaby tandem in any shops in Ireland or are the best deals to be got on it on the UK websites? We'd much prefer to see it in the flesh before ordering from a website. Looks like a decent buggy from the reviews on it.

I have only seen it in newry but no idea what the shops down here have.
    I find it really hard to find buggies on display,would love a huge buggy show room!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

was looking at this today - http://www.mamasandpapas.com/product-pliko-pramette-couture-black/185717900/type-i/

anybody any experience of it or opinion of it?
    seems like a great deal as it includes everything, the only thing we would want extra is the isofix base.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Dub_Jim_Royle

Any of the experts have any comments on this?
    The main factors we want are rear facing/reversible, Can lie flat and sit up/will do newborn to toddler, and then if possible slot in as a car seat.

It not a brand I've seen in some of the bigger baby stores.

http://www.babydepot.ie/products/Hauck-Speed-Sun-Plus-Travel-System-Happy-Beige.html

Thanks.

It is a fairly common childrens brand,normally their stuff is quite in expensive but of normal quality.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Online4baby/4-Wheel-Travel-Systems-/_i.html?rt=nc&_fsub=2&_sc=1&_sid=167741204&_sop=1&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1581&_pgn=2
    sell loads of Hauck travel systems.

as do kiddicare.com

there might be some reviews there.

If that is the sort of travel system that you are looking for mclaren and graco make similar.

For me the pros of that would be it folds as one,is light and takes the car seat.
    The disadvantages would be that it is only rear facing with the car seat,it would not be good on potholes/beach/stones and it has 2 seperate handles and not a bar,it has no pram option.

Advertisement