Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stick a Fork in Weisz..........

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    No, what statement of yours did I edit?
    Post 49 in the thread for new mods, I was edited by yourself for implying SteelerSydney was trolling, as were some other posters. I feel that a mod should hold himself to same standard that he expects the rest of us to adhere to so please change your earlier posts
    Which is a simpler explanation:

A) all the recruiting assessment sites have been wrong for years - but only when it comes to their analysis of ND recruiting classes. And infact, ND have been getting in poor players despite widespread belief to the contrary;

B)Faust, Davies, Willingham and Weis were limited coaches, that surrounded themselves with poor staffs and buckled under the ferocious media pressure that comes with coaching ND;

I know which one is more likely to be perfectly honest.

Look its pretty clear that you don't agree with me, and I don't agree with you. I think that the talent level at Notre Dame is poor overall and you think that it is solely the fault of bad coaching. When the new staff comes in we'll be able to see one way or the other whether the numerous top ten classes that they have recruited were badly coached or badly overrated. Like so many things though its probably the middle ground that wins out and there isnt the talent level there and Weis and his staff didnt work with the better players they had on defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,237 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

frostie500 wrote: »
    Post 49 in the thread for new mods, I was edited by yourself for implying SteelerSydney was trolling, as were some other posters. I feel that a mod should hold himself to same standard that he expects the rest of us to adhere to so please change your earlier posts

That wasn't why those posts were edited. If you want further clarification, contact me by PM.

Brian Kelly will be the new coach at ND:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4732205

Delighted, the work he has done at UC is truly amazing. Taking a guy who has just led an unfancied program to an undefeated top five finish (and their second straight BCS bowl) bodes very well imo. It is a very different move to the Weis hire in that we have gone for an up and coming coach with great college credentials rather than a highly prized NFL co - coordinator.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,860 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Brian Kelly is a great appointment, he was favourite for the job all along despite all the rumours about Stoops.

Great appointment for the Irish, but you'd have to question the logic of not playing in a bowl game seeing as how quickly they got Kelly. By opting out of bowl eligibility they are now not allowed to practice until Spring. You'd have to say with Clausen leaving they could have used the four or five weeks of practice to get their backup more integrated into the starting lineup and also it would give the Irish a leg up with implementing Kelly's playbook as well as obviously allowing Kelly to assess the talent level in more detail then just watching film

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Great appointment for the Irish, but you'd have to question the logic of not playing in a bowl game seeing as how quickly they got Kelly. By opting out of bowl eligibility they are now not allowed to practice until Spring. You'd have to say with Clausen leaving they could have used the four or five weeks of practice to get their backup more integrated into the starting lineup and also it would give the Irish a leg up with implementing Kelly's playbook as well as obviously allowing Kelly to assess the talent level in more detail then just watching film

They wouldn't have gotton Kelly's playbook implemented in that short time frame. It would have been more like a skeleton playbook. They definitely could have run something though.

They wouldn't have gotton Kelly's playbook implemented in that short time frame. It would have been more like a skeleton playbook. They definitely could have run something though.

Yeah it seems like a bit of ball dropping really to lose five weeks of evaluation and 'getting to know the new staff etc.'

Leaving aside the fact that 6 - 6 teams have no business playing post season celebration games:

- Clausen a huge Weis fan who declared for the NFL immediately following his departure and Dayne Crist is not fully fit. You have no decent committed QB;

- Numerous dressing room leaders loyal to Weis are currently starters and won't be around next year;

- Assistant coaching roster will face severe turnover over the coming four weeks;

- College players won't imbue a playbook in less than a month working with a solid coaching staff, never mind one in turmoil;

- The immediate priority is getting Kelly out around America so that he can shore up this year's recruiting class. Detracting from that for the purposes of a meaningless bowl game would be crazy;

- The big picture is what is important. One game, or even one season is a very small part of that. Sacrificing some potential extra preparation for next year in lieu of the coach setting up his assistants and getting out recruiting is an easy decision to make;

Leaving aside the fact that 6 - 6 teams have no business playing post season celebration games:

True its crazy to celebrate and reward mediocrity
    Numerous dressing room leaders loyal to Weis are currently starters and won't be around next year;

Apart from seniors and Clausen and Tate who else will feel that they will get drafted early enough to warrent leaving now after poor seasons under Weis? If any of them do feel loyal to Weis, what benefit is there to that loyalty? Weis has no job at present, how can their loyalty pay off?
    Assistant coaching roster will face severe turnover over the coming four weeks;
    College players won't imbue a playbook in less than a month working with a solid coaching staff, never mind one in turmoil;

Sources in Cinci and South Bend all say that with the new hire, just like any other coaching change, Kelly will take some of his coaches with Jeff Quinn-Offensive Coordinator and offensive line, Bob Diaco-Defensive Coordinator and linebackers, Mike Elston-Defensive line, Greg Forrest-Quarterbacks being his main assistants coming with him. That will make a fair difference in getting a basic understanding of the system that they are looking to run. I dont foresee them running a full playbook but with the inevitible switch to the spread offence with Kelly a month of practices will make a big difference
    The immediate priority is getting Kelly out around America so that he can shore up this year's recruiting class. Detracting from that for the purposes of a meaningless bowl game would be crazy;

How many players can Kelly realistically recruit at a decent level? Bear in mind to shore up this years class he has until the first week of Febuary when nearly all of the better players will sign letters of intent. Coaches dont make a big difference at this late stage when they change jobs for the current class, he will now look to get started on the next class. The only players he will be able to talk to are some Cinci recruits into changing to ND because he has built up a relationship with them but what chance has he in changing the minds of other players by attempting to recruit them so late in the day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

How many players can Kelly realistically recruit at a decent level? Bear in mind to shore up this years class he has until the first week of Febuary when nearly all of the better players will sign letters of intent. Coaches dont make a big difference at this late stage when they change jobs for the current class, he will now look to get started on the next class. The only players he will be able to talk to are some Cinci recruits into changing to ND because he has built up a relationship with them but what chance has he in changing the minds of other players by attempting to recruit them so late in the day?

Look at the Top 100 lists which are usually very accurate. Only 25% of the list have committed and the other 75% at this stage would have shortlisted their top colleges.

ND actually are on a lot of the top 20 lists so Kelly will do alright. As for your comment what can a coach do? I will tell you. Head Coaches have more affect on bringing kids to a college than anyone else. The reason for this is because when you are a head coach the kids look up to and it is seen as a honour to be visited by the HC of the school. It actually shows the Coach also wants you and not just the program. I know guys whos minds were changed by Head Coaches calling them or visiting them.

The fact Kelly has done a superb job with Grand Valley and then Central MI and then Cinci he will be in the respected range. Especially now he got the coach of the year award. His reputation will be very high right now and kids will know he can make them winners.

Never to late to recruit in college until the day they commit.

• Advertisement

Look at the Top 100 lists which are usually very accurate. Only 25% of the list have committed and the other 75% at this stage would have shortlisted their top colleges.

ND actually are on a lot of the top 20 lists so Kelly will do alright. As for your comment what can a coach do? I will tell you. Head Coaches have more affect on bringing kids to a college than anyone else. The reason for this is because when you are a head coach the kids look up to and it is seen as a honour to be visited by the HC of the school. It actually shows the Coach also wants you and not just the program. I know guys whos minds were changed by Head Coaches calling them or visiting them.

The fact Kelly has done a superb job with Grand Valley and then Central MI and then Cinci he will be in the respected range. Especially now he got the coach of the year award. His reputation will be very high right now and kids will know he can make them winners.

Never to late to recruit in college until the day they commit.

I hear what youre saying Tallaght but if youre going up against the Pete Carolls, Mack Browns, Nick Sabans et el I dont believe that two months before signing day Kelly can realistically outrecruit for top prospects at this late stage. He will obviously get most of the talent already recruited(after a HC change there is usually a bit of fallout) and be able to pick up a few players but he will not be able to make a significant difference to the class.

If he is recruiting, as he now must because there is no bowl game, he is getting a head start on the 2011 class. That's no bad thing obviously but there will be very little difference, in terms of top talent, to the class of 2010 with Kelly recruiting now.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,860 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I don't expect to see major success in 2010, I don't think anybody does. I think its a smart move to start looking to the following season. Losing Clausen and Tate is a huge change not to mention Sam Young who I reckon is headed for a big career in the NFL and Eric Olsen the starting center, and Kyle McCarthy will be a big loss on D.

Having said that, on what I seen of Dane Crist this year I think he will suit a spread offense, he can run with the ball and it will utilise one of the two big play guys left on the team, that being Armando Allen. Michael Floyd will be back too so its not going to be that bad.

Kelly gets a totally free pass in his first season with all those big name starters leaving the team and it being his first year. Still it should be exciting though to watch his offense, I'm looking forward to it.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I don't expect to see major success in 2010, I don't think anybody does. I think its a smart move to start looking to the following season. Losing Clausen and Tate is a huge change not to mention Sam Young who I reckon is headed for a big career in the NFL and Eric Olsen the starting center, and Kyle McCarthy will be a big loss on D.

Having said that, on what I seen of Dane Crist this year I think he will suit a spread offense, he can run with the ball and it will utilise one of the two big play guys left on the team, that being Armando Allen. Michael Floyd will be back too so its not going to be that bad.

Kelly gets a totally free pass in his first season with all those big name starters leaving the team and it being his first year. Still it should be exciting though to watch his offense, I'm looking forward to it.

He looked absolutely horrific at times this season. Considering the hype when he was being recruited out of High School, his ND career has to be considered a major disappointment.

Advertisement