Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limericks Christmas Tree hits the Bridge

Options
  • 20-11-2009 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭

I was just after parking my car when it happened. Ran and set up my camera

IMGP8011.JPG

More photos on my blog at blog.munsterbusiness.ie:eek:

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Thanks, interesting photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Great photos there! More discussion over here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055720646&page=2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Given the deformed shape of it in the last photo, maybe they can recycle it as a witch's hat for next Hallowe'en ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Firefox10

Ouch!!:eek:...Not good. Nice plug by the way.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I saw it 45 minutes ago. More or less on its side at that stage.

Blue flashing lights behind henry street and boats with blue flashing lights in the water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

If I find out that anyone has taken any of my tax revenue to fund this moronic venture I will be up for murder :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

I saw this... kinda! Was up on thomas street when 95fm said what happened. Got down to henry street quick enough to see it before it started to fall over. Its a shame this happened. It was nice to see on the river last year but hopefully they can patch it up again and have it working!

My uncle is part of the Limerick Search and Rescue. He got paged that something happened, get to the centre. He raced there, leaving half his dinner unfinished, to learn it was a christmas tree all the fuss was about!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I was coming over Sarsfeild Bridge in my friend's car just before it happened but didn't know anything til hours later, raging I missed it.
    My sister said messing the tree was suicidal XD lmao

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

Anyone know actually how it happened?

Anyone know actually how it happened?
    I thought it was the boat was putting it into position and it got caught in the current and brought the tree with it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭CCSL

IMGP8080.JPG

IMGP4518.JPG

IMGP4520.JPG

Sound Lad Andy:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

What happened according to the guy i was talking to working on it on the bridge, is they decided, not to anchor it to the shore, and it went for a little trip down the river....I'm in quite a few of those pictures, a prize of some variety to those who can spot me, zuroph and concussion excluded.

foinse wrote: »
    What happened is they decided, not to anchor it to the shore, and it went for a little trip down the river....I'm in quite a few of those pictures, a prize of some variety to those who can spot me, zuroph and concussion excluded.
    Oh right, who thought that was a good idea :/
    Are you in the motorcycle helmet?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

Sera wrote: »
    Oh right, who thought that was a good idea :/
    Are you in the motorcycle helmet?

nope but close

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Firefox10

And whats going to happen with it tomorrow?? High winds and heavy rain forecast for tomorrow. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Stan the man

They work all the time. I see them from the window. Tree :D already standing up straight. More photos here:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055720646&page=3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

NewsFlash
    In Limerick this evening, a Tree tried to escape it bindings and away from it's captors escaping punishment from Boxer Andy Lee then forget to look where it was going and got decapitated by the Shannon bridge.
    The Shannon Bridge is been closed off and a A Garda forensic team is expected in the morning to examine the scene of a fatal decapation. The Tree captors (Mayor of Limerick, Cllr Kevin Kiely) fled the scene and is at large (Last seen at Moose pub giving speeches about kicking out the immigrants) and Boxer Andy Lee has gone underwater and is reported to have links to the local criminal gangs with a trail of bloody noses and black eyes leading to reports of him been heading up river to Castleconnell.

They work all the time. I see them from the window. Tree :D already standing up straight. More photos here:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055720646&page=3

....aaaaand it tipped again. There's a boats back in the water and the two recovery vehicles are trying to get it upright. The Quay and one inbound lane of the bridge are closed. The good news is that high tide was 0745 so the water should be dropping. The bad news is that I heard Ardnacrusha was releasing water today!

I can't believe that they have that's bigproblems with christmas tree. :)

3 min ago.

spa0497.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Popped down to river to see if I'd get a few good photos.
    Very surprised to see they let onlookers so close to tree on bridge while they were trying to upright it.
    If it fell the other way a lot of people would be injured or worse.

• Advertisement

Very surprised to see they let onlookers so close to tree on bridge while they were trying to upright it.

I think so too. In my opinion, they want to save the construction, at the risk of human life and health. :( Yesterday it should be cut and towed to shore. At night.

The only thing stopping the tree going downstream was the bridge. The current was so strong that, several times, I saw the recovery trucks winching themselves onto the tree rather than the other way round. If they separated the tree from the pontoon a couple of things could have happened -
    The tree could have fallen into the river and become a danger to navigation
    The pontoon could have pulled free (now that the tree was no longer holding it against the bridge) and been swept downstream, beoming a danger to navigation
    The pontoon could have dragged one of the vehicles in after it.

Much better, IMO to attempt to tow it upsream intact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

how exactly would it fall the other way? the current is taking it from underneat so i think the chances of it falling forwards is actually well 0:D sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Stinkfist

Limerick City Council have to be the greatest collection of inept uneducated morons ever assembled under one roof. Id like to know if it was our racist xenophobia suffering mayor who decided that we should put a xmas tree that cost the city €50,000 into a river that is about to burst its banks and resembles closely white water rapids as apposed to its normal calm flow. This hilarious act of incompetence has cost the city a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Stinkfist wrote: »
    Limerick City Council have to be the greatest collection of inept uneducated morons ever assembled under one roof. Id like to know if it was our racist xenophobia suffering mayor who decided that we should put a xmas tree that cost the city €50,000 into a river that is about to burst its banks and resembles closely white water rapids as apposed to its normal calm flow. This hilarious act of incompetence has cost the city a fortune.

But its funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Stinkfist

That i will not deny.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

It beats the usual threads we have here anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

I think it looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Maybe they should just light it up and leave it there?

• Advertisement

I think we should light it and leave it sufficiently close to the bridge that scummers will try to jump onto it but far enough away that they fall into the river and get swept out to into the estuary.

Advertisement