Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do fortune tellers know the future?

Options
  • 18-11-2009 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭

Is it just a "feeling" they get or what? As in what is the mechanism that gets the information to them? Or do they get actual images from the future?

I once heard (2nd hand) that one psychic could see future-knowing "spirits" on the shoulders of the client, chatting away about their life.

Also, why don't they play the lotto? Is it because of their morals or is the information (numbers) too specific or something? I mean surely there is at least one psychic who would use their ability for financial gain even if it was frowned upon?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

They don't- that's why they don't play the lotto.

They don't know the future- they know the gullible and exploit that.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Ruth KPS

I went to one in Blackpool in September... she told me stuff about my life, that she couldn't have known..she told me thing's about my future which has happened, and stuff that apparently is still going to happen that Iv to watch out for...... as my mother says *she was only guessing*, however I don't know how they do it, but I don't know how she could have *guessed* so much about me either.

:confused:

It's very simple- If an attractive young lady walks in you say- I see that you have your sights set on further education and there's a special boy in your life.

It's vague and applicable to practically everyone.

If someone elderly walks in you say- I see you have lost someone close to you recently. God know's if you're in your 60's people are dropping like flies all around you.

It's selective vague guesses honed through years of experience

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

How does an Ostrich fly?

But she knew more exact details... :confused:

• Advertisement

No she didn't she asked leading questions and you finished the sentences for her.

Then she told you vague crap- like you'll hit relationship trouble next summer and like all normal people you run into a fight in a three month period and you think it's prophesy.

It's a scam. Welcome to reality.

I have no idea :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

I'm not saying all mediums use it but read up on cold and hot reading. A google search will give you loads on these topics.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Has anyone ever gone to see Mrs Murray in Dublin. She doesn't really like the title fortune teller but he is just amazing.

If you have gone to see her you know what i mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭rafared

They don't- that's why they don't play the lotto.

They don't know the future- they know the gullible and exploit that.

Totally agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

If they were real they would win the Lotto, and how come no one foreseen the 911 attacks etc?

Nostrodamus (prob spelt so wrong) did forsee them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Ruth KPS wrote: »

But wasn't that a vague guess as well. He said something along the lines of ''A great big danger will come among a big city''. That could have been the recession for all we know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Quandary

For those of you who believe in psychics etc etc... try this just to open your eyes a bit.

If your single then go in wearing a wedding style ring on your wedding finger and just wait for the "psychic" to start sniffing around about your marriage/partner

Same deal if your happily married then take off the wedding ring before going in and you'll start hearing about how you'll find a new love interest in the coming months etc etc....

It really is all cold reading and clever posing of questions to get the "customer" to inadvertently divulge enough information to keep the session going.

The thing is though, if people want to believe that psychics/mediums genuinely have a supernatural ability then they will no matter what skeptics do to prove otherwise...

Larkin91 wrote: »
    But wasn't that a vague guess as well. He said something along the lines of ''A great big danger will come among a big city''. That could have been the recession for all we know.

In the book I read of his, it was alot more exact... I'll try and find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭lmao

I feel sorry for people who waste their money on these people! It is nothing more than preying on the vulnerable. I remember hearing Keith Barry on Gerry Ryan challenging any fortune teller to ring in and tell hin the common irish name he was thinking of ( for return of €10,000 cash). In 1 hour he was on the show not 1 fortune teller rang in! The biggest scam is the premium phone lines! Why would anybody ring this ?????

My ex boyfriend's mother rings those lines everyday......it's awful, the amount of money she wastes.

Please do your research! He wrote down so much waffle that it is up to us to tie in what he said with the present. There is nothing about 9/11 and please dont refer to the metal bird story. Do your research.

lmao wrote: »
    Please do your research! He wrote down so much waffle that it is up to us to tie in what he said with the present. There is nothing about 9/11 and please dont refer to the metal bird story. Do your research.

Iv done my research, Iv read it.

Cool! I just find the translation of that verse...... well lost in translation. I feel this is why the hype exists with Nostradamus. Listen if he was genuine think of the press coverage he would have. This has never happened!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I went to one in Blackpool in September... she told me stuff about my life, that she couldn't have known..she told me thing's about my future which has happened, and stuff that apparently is still going to happen that Iv to watch out for...... as my mother says *she was only guessing*, however I don't know how they do it, but I don't know how she could have *guessed* so much about me either.

:confused:

Was it one of the Petulengros? Marie? She's excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Used to work with a girl who did 'tarot' readings over the phone. She said it was all crap. One days training plus crap to be exact.
    That doesn't rule out the possibility of people having a psychic sense. Anyone here had deja-vu for example?

6th wrote: »
    Was it one of the Petulengros? Marie? She's excellent.

It was something Lee I think, Can't quite remember but she was dead on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Ah Rose Lee beside the chipper.

Possibly!

No you haven't unless you can read 14th Century Italian Latin- more like you read some sensationalist nonsense that serialises it for you.

By the way if you had the ability to read 14th century latin- italian - i doubt you would be going to psychics for the answers to your life problems.

When did I state I went to a psychic to sort out Life's problems??

I can sort them out on my own thanks, I don't need some stranger telling me how.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

scratch that. too cynical

I don't need some stranger telling me how.

Can you shed some light on what you get? Is it not a stranger your listening to when you get one of these readings? ;)

• Advertisement

Yes but she is not telling me the answer to lifes problems

Advertisement