Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top 5 Albums of 2009

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Daisy remains the album of the year by far. Truely stunning.

Think you're getting Daisy mixed up with the two brilliant albums that preceded it. I have never been more let down

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Think you're getting Daisy mixed up with the two brilliant albums that preceded it. I have never been more let down

I would agree that The Devil and God Are Raging Inside of Me is a far better album[and remains one of my favourite albums] and , intitially I too was greatly let down by Daisy, every re-listen to it , it starts to sound amazing. Its simply incredibly how Jesse's songwriting has come; to think it all started with Your Favourite Weapon is crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I have relistened to it a few times and while it gets better it's still a 3 star album. The two before were easy 5 stars

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Sad to see only 1 mention of Ian Brown, without a doubt my album of 2009

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭flynnduism

Melion wrote: »
    Sad to see only 1 mention of Ian Brown, without a doubt my album of 2009

Wasn't impressed with his latest... most of his solo stuff since the Roses has been pretty woeful, bar the occassional track like FEAR, Keep What Ya Got, etc

Plus he's a wife-beating ass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

ian brown is a plank.
    biffy clyro - although a good album still needs time to grow it's only been out a week and a bit.

mine in no order

the antlers - hospice.
    we were promised jetpacks - these four walls.
    sucioperro - pain agency.
    marmaduke duke - duke pandemonium.
    manchester orchestra - mean everything to nothing

*EDIT* also want to add adebisi shank if that was 2009. 2009 has been a very long year for me so i can't remember

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

flynnduism wrote: »
    Wasn't impressed with his latest... most of his solo stuff since the Roses has been pretty woeful, bar the occassional track like FEAR, Keep What Ya Got, etc

Plus he's a wife-beating ass

I thought it was his best release post-Roses tbh. Some absolute quality on the album. Definitely up there with Solarized.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Tonight - Franz Ferdinand
    Blue Lights On the Runway - BellX1
    The Nightsaver - David Kitt
    In This Light And On This Evening - Editors
    Around The Well - Iron and Wine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭dynamopiev

Animal Collective - MPP
    The Pains of Being Pure At Heart
    God Help The Girl
    Charlotte Gainsbourg
    Bat for Lashes - Two Suns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

I Genuinely think George Hooks christmas album would have made all your lists if it was out yet!!

But on topic, biffy clyro's album is pretty good after listening a few times, and Paulo nutini's new one is better than i was expecting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Boo-yah

No idea what my 5 favourites are yet but top of the list will be Julian Casablancas - Phrazes For The Young

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Taz86

Humbug - Arctic Monkeys
    Wild Young Hearts - Noisettes
    XX - The XX
    Journal for Plague Lovers - Manics
    Travelling like the light - VV Brown

I was rather let down by Moz and Jarv this year but no harm they have a reserved place in my heart and head.
    I find that Mr Turner is still a great lyricist and singer.
    Saw the Noisettes at the start of October. Great musicians and great singer. Pity about the lyrics ;) I like 'em
    The XX leave my heart and head feeling heavy and not too sure that the world is a nice place but I like 'em for that honesty. Luv the dude, Jamie, mucking about with percussion sounds...
    The Manics - what can I say? Those boys persistently throw up stuff that makes life worthwhile. Gig in the Olympia was ****ing fantastic.
    VV Brown - come to Ireland missus. We want you. (she did Oxegen but we need a solo gig. Sort of similar to Noisettes)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

In no order,

It's Blitz - Yeah Yeah Yeahs
    The XX - The XX
    Lungs -Florence & The Machine
    Passion Pit - Manners
    Spinnerette - Spinnerette
    The Dead Weather - Horehound
    Them Crooked Vultures - Them Crooked Vultures
    Regina Spektor - Far
    Peaches - I feel Cream

That is all I can think of... I don't think I could pick just 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whiterob81

Off the top of my head:

Cadence Weapon: AfterParty Babies
    White Denim - Fits
    Toddla T - Skanky Skank
    Dirty Projectors - Bitte Orca
    the xx

Honourable mentions go to: Greenday - 21st Century Breakdown (just because their o2 concert was so good), isis - Wavering Radiant (Amazing gig in the music centre), Gossip - Music for Men, Asobi Seksu - Citrus (I know this is 2 years old but I only discovered it this year, it's my new favourite album of all time and would be in the top 5 if it had been brought out this year. Can't find their new album anywhere apart from amazon), Kylesa - Static Tensions, Sonic Youth - The eternal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭SM01

Too broke this year to spend much money on albums so will just put down my no. 1 which was The Horrors - Primary Colours. Looking forward to getting my hands on a lot of those mentioned in this thread though

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

Colin Devlin - Democracy Of One
    The Swell Season - Strict Joy
    Bell X1 - Blue Lights On The Runway
    The Brothers Movement - s/t
    The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart - s/t

Passion Pit - Manners
    Sonic Youth - The Eternal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Odhreo

Off the top of my head I'd probably go for:

It's Blitz!- Yeah Yeah Yeahs (my definite number one)
    Actor- St. Vincent
    MPP- Animal Collective
    I Feel Cream- Peaches
    Bitte Orca- Dirty Projectors
    Manners- Passion Pit
    Two Suns- Bat For Lashes
    The XX- The XX
    Wavves- Wavves (think it was 2009, not really sure)
    Fever Ray- Fever Ray
    The Spoils- Zola Jesus

Tarot Sport by **** Buttons was my biggest disappointment of the year by far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭coconut5

For me:
    • First Aid Kit: Drunken Trees
    • Fanfarlo: Reservoir
    • Howling Bells: Radio Wars
    • The Pains of Being Pure at Heart: The Pains of Being Pure at Heart
    • Bowerbirds: Upper Air

Advertisement