Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The teachers strike

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

kilkern5 wrote: »
    I work in the education sector and silently laugh to myself when they start talking about how difficult and stressful the job is.

Please explain what you mean by "work in the education sector"
    Every year at P/T meetings when they have to stay late they are in the staff room the next day "exhausted" because they did not get home till after 5pm. 5PM!!!!!

Most of my teachers don't leave until 5 on normal days. They come in at 8 for morning classes etc. and leave after 5 after supervising detention, homework club (not a happy place btw), coaching et al. I know a few teachers who are in until 7 every Monday teaching adults, that's right teaching the parents of first years to help their kids. 8-5 or 8-7 isn't exactly great.

Parent teacher meetings start at 4:30 in my school and go on until 7pm, 6 days a year not once a year.
    We have just had 2 weeks off at Easter and 4 weeks later my school is off again for a full week for mid term, one teacher in the yard said to me how she cant believe its still a whole week to go before the next break. HONESTLY! Then its only 7 weeks till the summer break when there is 9 weeks off!!!!
    The first thing to be sorted at the first staff meeting every September is how to work the 183 classroom days to maximise the holidays around bank holidays.

Teachers correct tests, copies etc. during holidays, you do know that? I've had maybe 20 or 30 A4 pages corrected over the Easter holidays for English. That's one of the 200 or so classes they teach. Many teachers also come in during the February mid term and Easter holidays to teach. Even in Junior Cert year I was in school for 5 or 6 school days out of the 10 we were off for. Maths, science experiment catch up etc.
    I love my job. I work with fantastic teachers, principals and SNAs but seriously........they need to have a reality check!!!!
    Getting paid to do yard duty!!!
    Getting paid to hold various posts!!!
    Truly mad stuff going on!!

I think you need a reality check. Yard duty in my school involves breaking up at least 2 fights every day, that's 2 fights in 10 minutes. This doesn't stop in yard duty. Truly mad stuff going on indeed.

I'm in 5th year and I like most of my teachers but dear god I would not like to have their job.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Please don't resurrect zombie threads.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The troll apparently working 'in the education sector' doesn't know the school year starts in August and has done for years.
    Die thread of the zombie folk!

Bah, randy beat me to it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

spurious wrote: »
    The troll apparently working 'in the education sector' doesn't know the school year starts in August and has done for years.
    Die thread of the zombie folk!

Bah, randy beat me to it.
    ^_^

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement