Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Afternoon Show: Mandatory Cycle Helmets

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Raam looks a bit like Kenny Cunninham there, they make the same faces when talking!

Uhm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

tomasrojo wrote: »
    If you're really interested, I can tell you exactly how they got the 85% figure.
    Thanks for the link. The percentages are complete fiction as I guessed.

I see a blackbird and it is black ..... conclusion: all birds are black. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

EH?

He does! I can't find any photos though, trust me!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

was he on telly or something? or am i missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

was he on telly or something? or am i missing something?

Oh, right. Yes, he was on the afternoon show earlier talking about the football match.

Also, that presenter, total fox!

• Advertisement

You need to explain yourself, young man.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

They are targetting the "concerned mothers" demographic, I imagine.
    Yes these types of programs often have phone in polls where often the answer is blatantly obvious, I wonder why people bother ringing in. e.g. a poll would be "should paedophiles be allowed monitor schoolyards" or some such ridiculous idea. In this case most people ignorant of both sides of the argument will say "of course helmets should be mandatory", even though they probably cycled for years themselves without one, and would scoff and the idea of wearing a helmet in a car or walking home drunk- where it would rationally afford a lot more protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

If anyone is still interested, it's on now.

If you don't object to giving money to RTE, you can text your opinion to 53555

SAFETY YES if you favour mandatory helmets
    SAFETY NO if you do not

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Link to yesterdays how, it's 25mins in. Better than I expected from them and the presenter says she cycles every day.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Lines close at five.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

I love their vote options! SAFETY NO! Surely HELMET NO would have made more sense.

where's the go and sh!te option?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

Also, that presenter, total fox!

Pic please to confirm. Some of us don't watch the show!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Newaglish wrote: »
    I love their vote options! SAFETY NO! Surely HELMET NO would have made more sense.

I can't get it up, when I click on the link for bicycle safety I get an error page.

It does seem to be "leading the witness".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

jerseyeire wrote: »
    I can't get it up...

I did not need to know that!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,315 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Bicycling
    About 75% of all bicyclists who die each year die of head injuries.
    85% of head injuries in bicycle accidents can be prevented by wearing a helmet.
    While head injuries may have been sustained, no helmet is going to save you when you also had your chest crushed by a concrete truck, which is the way these things tend to happen.

Coming on now in a minute link

Overhwhelming support for mandatory helmets from the Afternoon Show audience: 76%, I think.

Overhwhelming support for mandatory helmets from the Afternoon Show audience: 76%, I think.

The voice of the old and the unemployed. Who listens to them anyway? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Indeed, since it could just have easily been

SAFETY NO if you favour mandatory helmets
    SAFETY YES if you do not

The ignorance is astonishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

vottes from a load of people who havent been on qa bike for years and think "sure i hit that cyclist but they'll be ok they have a helmet on"

i always wear a helmet but i defend the right of anyone not to (and mash their brains in the process )

Crafty attempt at the end to say that motorcycle helmets and bicycle helmets are equivalent. They are radically different in construction and design (and the level of protection against impact for which they are certified).

Was there a dissenting voice on the programme?

James Hix from the Irish Environment Network, I think it was. He was on Frontline recently.

To be fair to the Afternoon Show, they did provide balance in the end, and did not run a campaign for mandatory helmets.

I must look at their other bike safety segments, especially as one has been endorsed somewhat by @jerseyeire.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

James Hix from the Irish Environment Network, I think it was. He was on Frontline recently.
    I thought he spoke quite well.
    Dr Eagleson resorted to "in my experience" alot.
    Have to say I pleasntly surprised at the balance (phone poll excepted). Bottom line is I'll always wear a helmet but vigourously oppose it being made mndatory.

Conor Egleston performed an interesting little bit of rhetorical jiu jitsu at the end. He dismissed the whole-population evidence from Australia and New Zealand by saying that it wasn't good enough to be included in the Cochrane Review. But that review was carried out by the people who brought you ... ta da! ... the 85% figure, mentioned earlier in this thread! So those researchers are treated as arbiters of which of their critics have merit. And their response was: none of our critics has merit! 60% of the Cochrane review was made up by their own work. Including that 1989 "85%" study.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

To be fair to the Afternoon Show, they did provide balance in the end, and did not run a campaign for mandatory helmets./QUOTE]

thats exactly what sheana said at the end of yesterdays segment (lets make this a campaign for mandatory helmets - if i remember right)

• Advertisement

Really? I didn't know that. That's not really their concern, starting campaigns that court "unforeseen consequences" (such as increased obesity, reduced cycling, increased car dependence).

Advertisement