Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top 50 Albums of the 00's

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

shane86 wrote: »
    Always makes me laugh when you see stuff on hip hop forums like "BEP were great before Fergie came and they sold out".

They were always cheesey FFS.

As for Andre 3000 being anything more than embarassing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJpw00bABZU

I mean.....fcuk like!

I wouldnt call thier first album cheesy, i'd call it ground breaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I wouldnt call thier first album cheesy, i'd call it ground breaking.

Their first album in 94 was ****ing class. Its the fact they have become so pop since then which is shocking.

Ghostface- if you think a genius comes out with lines like "i wanna stank you very much" then its not worth discussing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Parrish_Crooks

floggg wrote: »
    In the case of DOOM, it was more a case of me wondering what the **** was wrong with you guys! i can see no actual merit in any of the stuff of him i heard. i mean, who raps about vats of urine!

Also, dude seems like a douche - i presume you've heard about the stunt double he sends around to do his shows for him? actually, saw a pretty scathing piece from Kno of cunninglynguists about that a while back, was a good read.

I agree with all the criticism of MF Doom. The guy is the most overrated performer of the decade, besides Kanye West.

Doom's voice is monotonous, his rhymes non-sensical, production isn't very good, and laced with too many samples from cartoons (Yes we get it, your name is based on Doctor Victor Von Doom....).

I picked up that MMM... Food album to see what all this hype was about and found myself using the fast forward, and skip button way too often.

In reference to the top 50 list, does anyone think Freddie Foxxx's Industry shakedown should be included?

I would also put forward Afu Ra's Body of the Life Force as a contender.

If I could compile a Best of Royce Da 5'9" from the albums Rock City, GTA III soundtrack, Death is certain, Independents Day, and Street Hop then that album would definitely get in there also!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I agree with all the criticism of MF Doom. The guy is the most overrated performer of the decade, besides Kanye West.

Doom's voice is monotonous, his rhymes non-sensical, production isn't very good, and laced with too many samples from cartoons (Yes we get it, your name is based on Doctor Victor Von Doom....).

I picked up that MMM... Food album to see what all this hype was about and found myself using the fast forward, and skip button way too often.

In reference to the top 50 list, does anyone think Freddie Foxxx's Industry shakedown should be included?

I would also put forward Afu Ra's Body of the Life Force as a contender.

If I could compile a Best of Royce Da 5'9" from the albums Rock City, GTA III soundtrack, Death is certain, Independents Day, and Street Hop then that album would definitely get in there also!

I can definitely see why MF DOOM wouldn't appealt to alot of people, i personally think he is great. Although he sounds non sensical, his lyrics are actually quite thoughtful and very clever.

i also wouldnt call Kanye over-rated, production wise he is a genius and his first album is superb. I dont think his albums after that have been up to scratch.......well except for 808's which is a masterpiece. It took me a while to figure this out but it's brilliant.

Industry Shakedown has its merits for being on the list, great album but there is a bit of filler on it.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    i also wouldnt call Kanye over-rated, production wise he is a genius and his first album is superb. I dont think his albums after that have been up to scratch.......well except for 808's which is a masterpiece. It took me a while to figure this out but it's brilliant.

I agree, super producer. Love the sped up soul samples myself. But as a rapper, he's average. I might prefer his rapping if 3/4 of the content wasn't about how great he is. Being over confident always puts me off.

I even see a bit of that braggadocio bullsh1t in most of KRS One's stuff, post Return of the Boom Bap. Then again, He has more of a right to brag than Mr West.

• Advertisement

I agree, super producer. Love the sped up soul samples myself. But as a rapper, he's average. I might prefer his rapping if 3/4 of the content wasn't about how great he is. Being over confident always puts me off.

I even see a bit of that braggadocio bullsh1t in most of KRS One's stuff, post Return of the Boom Bap. Then again, He has more of a right to brag than Mr West.

Agreed that Kanye is an average rapper, he was great at first, fresh and the swagger/confidence thing worked. But it got old very quickly.

Well KRS is the self described preacher so he can do whatever he wants :D

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

Kanye is an awesome producer, no question, I dont really know why he gets labelled over-rated, his work on the Blueprint, the Fix, Be and his solo albums speak for itself!

Ive never heard 808's, but from Boom_Bap's comments it sounds like its worth a listen!

I think production wise ''Graduation'' might be his best work

horsebox09 wrote: »
    Kanye is an awesome producer, no question, I dont really know why he gets labelled over-rated, his work on the Blueprint, the Fix, Be and his solo albums speak for itself!

Ive never heard 808's, but from Boom_Bap's comments it sounds like its worth a listen!

on 808's, be warned, you might just hate it! It took me a long time to get into it.

I think College Dropout is the best, mostly because Kanye's Workout Plan is on it.

horsebox09 wrote: »

Nobody's denying his skills behind the boards. He gave hip-hop a good kick in the sack at the time with his innovative production, which made a lot of other producers step up their game.

Some of my faves of his work are Talib Kweli's Get by, Cam'ron's Down & Out, Jay-Z's Girls, girls, girls and The Game's Dreams.

He's copnstantly called overrated because he claims to be the saviour of all things hip-hop, and the best rapper since Rakim. Anyone who knows hip-hop knows that he's wrong on both counts!

Advertisement