Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top 50 Albums of the 00's

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Makaveli wrote: »
    Some things just aren't for you. If you don't like MF DOOM you don't like him, nothing wrong with that. You shouldn't feel obliged to like Madvilliany, Mmm. Food, Vaudiville Villian etc just because you like rap music.

As for A Piece of Strange it absolutely smashes Dirty Acres and I love both but APOS is just a different beast altogehter. There could be no Dirty Acres without APOS.

In the case of DOOM, it was more a case of me wondering what the **** was wrong with you guys! i can see no actual merit in any of the stuff of him i heard. i mean, who raps about vats of urine!

Also, dude seems like a douche - i presume you've heard about the stunt double he sends around to do his shows for him? actually, saw a pretty scathing piece from Kno of cunninglynguists about that a while back, was a good read.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    as Mak says, each to thier own, but in DOOMs defence, his lyrics may appear to be nonsence but they are actually quite clever. I dont get most of it myself because he is using obscure refernces in some cases but when you disect some of the lyrics, they are genius.

don't get me wrong, i know he can be clever, but at the end of the day, a song about vats of urine is a song about vats of urine. i don't care what its meant to be a metaphor for, i don't wanna hear anybody rap about that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

interesting list. sweet playlist to go with it :). i have 32 of these

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

floggg wrote: »
    haven't much to say onon the list, which i read last week, and that was aiight, but only - lots there that i wouldn't have, and lots that was missing that should be there.

i'm more interested in the repsonses! really really struggling to figure out the love affair with DOOM. heard a few of his stuff and didn't dig it, the delivery and voice grates, songs and samples are too quirky, and it might be witty, be he talks (as opposed to raps) a whole load of nonsense. only songs i liked are the two he did with kweli, and i doubt they'd be much without kweli!

As for cunninglynguists, i only heard them for the first time on dirty acres, which is an amazing album, but then was fairly disappointed when i went back a got a piece of strange. was surprised to hear it get so much love. must give it another try, maybe i missed something!

DOOM in my opinion is one of the best artists of the decade. Maybe born like this shouldnt have been listed, but the others deserve to be there, if anything its the love affair with Kanye West that scares me!

But on DOOM, yeah is definetly an acquired taste, I hated his stuff at first! But he has his own style, similar to Ghostface but more ''out there''. Lyrically, I think he's top notch, I love his wordplay and rhyme schemes, + he's unpredictable! He might seem to spew out alot of nonsense, but like Ghostface and Kool Keith, he sounds good doing it!
    He has one of the best discogs in hip hop, at least in the last 10 years anyway

''A piece of strange in my opinion is a masterpiece, very origional concept, and production wise, very few albums released this decade come close too it. Deacan the villain and the guest appearances all came correct aswell ( especially Tonedeff on ''the Gates'' ).

Its all down too opinion, but I'd seriously struggle to find a more consistent rapper than DOOM this decade, or a more complete album than a piece of strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

horsebox09 wrote: »
    Brother Ali not being there is a surprise aswell.

He is severely awesome.

Uncle Sam Goddamn is a classic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

Orizio wrote: »
    Its not, 'Ink Is My Drink' is their best album.

Well by your opinion. I think Scenic Route is a more complete album. I remember when it was first released reading a lot of online reviews which heralded it as better than Ink is my drink. So i'm not completely alone on that thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

QNC - Duo Dynamic is a great album.

Another album to throw up, The Foreign Exchange - Connected
    Brilliant album imo, the producion is amazing, and Phonte is his usual self!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

there is another album that rarely gets mentioned that 've been listening to alot lately. Juggaknots - Use Your confusion. Absolutely brilliant album, nearly a perfect album.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

No Spank Rock yoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyo :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Rjd2 wrote: »
    No Spank Rock yoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyo :(

Great album that doesnt get mentioned much

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

I few that i might add to the list are

Fort Minor - The Rising Tied
    D12 - Devils Night
    50 Cent - Guess Whose Back
    J5 - Power in Numbers

A couple id be looking to take out would be Kanye's Graduation and Late Registration and MOP's Warriors.

Good list in general though i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Outkast get at least two mentions in a 21st century best 50 list? Why no J Kwon and Soulja Boy? Saying Outkasts post 90s muck output is better than the above two clowns is nothing short of pretentious. The Red Hot Chilli Peppers of hip hop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

You'd have an argument for putting J Kwon or Soulja Boy in a hip hop single of the decade list, but album?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

What's wrong with Stankonia? It's not like Idlewild is in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭ghostface ste

shane86 wrote: »
    Outkast get at least two mentions in a 21st century best 50 list? Why no J Kwon and Soulja Boy? Saying Outkasts post 90s muck output is better than the above two clowns is nothing short of pretentious. The Red Hot Chilli Peppers of hip hop.

This is ridiculous. Stankonia at the time was a great album and has some outstanding tracks, Love Below/Speakerbox also very good. Forget about Idlewild as its basically a soundtrack album. Comparing to the above artists is hilarious

Great album that doesnt get mentioned much

Its a shame isn't it? Its one of the most funky rap albums of the last decade as well. totally unrelated did you hear the debut album of long time Spank Rock collaborator amanda Blank? Its not very good at all. :(:(:(:(

Its a shame isn't it? Its one of the most funky rap albums of the last decade as well. totally unrelated did you hear the debut album of long time Spank Rock collaborator amanda Blank? Its not very good at all. :(:(:(:(
    Havent heard it....what's the latest Spank Rock album like?

This is ridiculous. Stankonia at the time was a great album and has some outstanding tracks, Love Below/Speakerbox also very good. Forget about Idlewild as its basically a soundtrack album. Comparing to the above artists is hilarious

You arent honestly telling me Andre 3000 is less cheesey than, christ, even the Black Eyed Peas. Their post 2000 stuff is embarassing.

You arent honestly telling me Andre 3000 is less cheesey than, christ, even the Black Eyed Peas. Their post 2000 stuff is embarassing.

I'd rate Andre 3000 right up there in terms of the best rappers i've ever heard so NO. Funny thing is Will.i.am is a class rapper when he bothers his arse but Blacked Eyed Peas make my skin crawl (well early stuff exempt). Not going on about this anymore, gl

• Advertisement

there is another album that rarely gets mentioned that 've been listening to alot lately. Juggaknots - Use Your confusion. Absolutely brilliant album, nearly a perfect album.

Ive only heard a few tracks off that album but they were good, you should check out the ReRelease of Clear Blue Skies, quality album, the title track is a masterpiece

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

The current single Half Way is the first Black Eyed Peas song in years that hasn't made me want to scratch my ears out. It's actually sort of good.. maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

There isn't one, unless you are talking about Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo which came out years ago.

TBH never heard of Juggaknots before and dl'd it last week. Superb album, really liked the girl rhyming on the tracks.

Orizio wrote: »
    There isn't one, unless you are talking about Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo which came out years ago.

i remember seeing something else in a record shop, after a bit of goooooogling, it's;

Benny Blanco & Spank Rock Present: "Bangers and Cash"

not an album
    TBH never heard of Juggaknots before and dl'd it last week. Superb album, really liked the girl rhyming on the tracks.

Lady Heroine is real nice and compliments Breezly Breewing real good.

I think I may have worded my earlier post wrong, I was referring to amanda blank's album
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanda_Blank
    not the Spank Rock new one which does not exist. :o
    Sorry for any confusion caused.

I think I may have worded my earlier post wrong, I was referring to amanda blank's album
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanda_Blank
    not the Spank Rock new one which does not exist. :o
    Sorry for any confusion caused.
    nothing wrong with your wording.....i accept full responsibilty in being an idiot.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Now now now...I'll settle this - you're both idiots. ;)

I'd rate Andre 3000 right up there in terms of the best rappers i've ever heard so NO. Funny thing is Will.i.am is a class rapper when he bothers his arse but Blacked Eyed Peas make my skin crawl (well early stuff exempt). Not going on about this anymore, gl

Always makes me laugh when you see stuff on hip hop forums like "BEP were great before Fergie came and they sold out".

They were always cheesey FFS.

As for Andre 3000 being anything more than embarassing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJpw00bABZU

I mean.....fcuk like!

• Advertisement

Always makes me laugh when you see stuff on hip hop forums like "BEP were great before Fergie came and they sold out".

They were always cheesey FFS.

As for Andre 3000 being anything more than embarassing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJpw00bABZU

I mean.....fcuk like!

You're quoting this as an example of a bad song? Right so, i give up...

Advertisement