Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP OFFS IN NEWRY

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I'm from Eire

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

I'm from Eire

Never heard of it.

If you mean Éire, that is the name of the state in the Irish language, so it is correctly used only when speaking Irish.

When speaking English, the name of the state is Ireland (and nothing else).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

pedant2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 43,777 ✭✭✭✭Basq

rubadub wrote: »
    pedant2.jpg
    Too fecking right...!

Any more off-topic dribble and I'm locking this up!

Call it pedantic if you will, but if we can't even get the name of the country correct then it's a pretty poor show.

We're all too quick to jump on 'the Brits' when they call Ireland something other than it's correct name.

• Advertisement

Kotek..

Final warning!

basquille wrote: »
    Kotek..

Final warning!

basquille..

Look at the timing of your post compared to mine.

basquille..

Look at the timing of your post compared to mine.
    And..?

My post still stands!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Anuahs wrote: »
    Also.....We cant even shop in sainsburys cos you are taking all our food!!!!
    First we take Newry...then we take Berlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

binosusan wrote: »
    the cheapest place to shop is the lisburn town centre. its way cheaper than newry and has all branded shops . the best shop i found was the pound supermarket. anything and everything was a pound.

is it the one on bow street mall?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭binosusan

yes in bow street mall in the village. you wont be disappointed at the stuff you find in the pound store and other stores in the mall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

injured365 wrote: »
    In fairness, its just good business sense to put some kind of mark up on the prices and considering how ignorant a lot of the people from the south who go shopping in newry are it was only a matter of time before people started getting annoyed and doing something about it.

How can people complain about not getting good exchange rates anywhere except a bank really?? No shop down south takes sterling, why should they be expected to be happy to take euros??
    thats not true most shops in sligo take sterling.it depends on how close you live to the border

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

thats not true most shops in sligo take sterling.it depends on how close you live to the border

Lots of shops in Dublin do too- including some of the supermarket chains. The exchange rate is normally a few pence below the headline rate- then again- you won't get the headline rate in a bank either. E.g. the headline rate for sterling this evening is 87.45p- however most places will quote you 90p with a minimum £50 spend- which is fair enough....... ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭IRISHROVER98

im going up north monday shopping. where should i go, newry or lisburn?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Lisburn. Newry is a zoo these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭binosusan

Newry is now a market for the southerners and is an extension of irish prices, go to lisburn or even better belfast as the roads are improved and faster . asda on shore road has loads of offers than sainsburys. the other day i bought a case of 15 bottles of bud for 6 pounds. all boxes on all brands were going for 6 pounds. it was madness. a pallet only lasted 5 minutes but they kept refilling it.
    also Toys R Us in lisburn has loads of discounts. good luck.

Kennedy Centre off the Falls, would be my suggestion. There are other options too- if you go slightly north of Belfast.

What about Enniskillen, anyone ever go there?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

At the moment Lisburn would be better due to the crowds in Newry.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Depends what you are after. If it's just Sainsburys there's no difference except a larger crowd in Newry and the store in Lisburn is larger but prices are the same. The Department stores will be the same price in Newry as Lisburn but other retailers may in some cases be cheaper in Lisburn. There's a shopping centre in Lisburn town centre but it's not great. If your going to Sainsburys in Lisburn there's a Toys R' Us, Argos, Currys, M&S and B&Q in the same retail park.

If it was me and I was going up for clothes shopping and was after more than say M&S clothing I would go Belfast as there's a much better selection. I'd check the websites of any shops you plan on visiting to get an idea of prices before you go.

• Advertisement

i dont mind the crowds in newry but price wise is there much of a difference from newry to lisburn

Depends what you are after. If it's just Sainsburys there's no difference except a larger crowd in Newry and the store in Lisburn is larger but prices are the same. The Department stores will be the same price in Newry as Lisburn but other retailers may in some cases be cheaper in Lisburn. There's a shopping centre in Lisburn town centre but it's not great. If your going to Sainsburys in Lisburn there's a Toys R' Us, Argos, Currys, M&S and B&Q in the same retail park.

If it was me and I was going up for clothes shopping and was after more than say M&S clothing I would go Belfast as there's a much better selection. I'd check the websites of any shops you plan on visiting to get an idea of prices before you go.

I would also suggest you ring to check that they have what you're looking for in stock- or possibly order it for collection in a branch of your choice....... M&S and Sainsburys are only too happy to move stock from other stores for you for collection- and it'll save you a scenic trip all over the North.......

any idea what the roads are like up there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Better than here.

any idea what the roads are like up there?

At the moment?
    Lets just say the major roads are passable, with care, however any minor roads- including roads in the city centre, are treacherous. There is no salting/gritting in any of the city centres- the plough is going through almost hourly- but salt is even more in constraint in NI than with the NRA across the border. Also- the snow thus far (and its still snowing) is being reported as the worst in at least 25 years...........

You'd want to be seriously motivated to go to Newry (or elsewhere up north)- the weather and roads are pretty diabolical........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

I've found coleraine very good if people want to travel further

Advertisement