Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP OFFS IN NEWRY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭ei9go

"its as big as a tesco supermarket. "

Where is this pound shop? i have not seen it in Lisburn.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

ei9go wrote: »
    "its as big as a tesco supermarket. "

Where is this pound shop? i have not seen it in Lisburn.
    Use this:

http://www.poundland.co.uk/store-finder/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 thequays

maybe if you all spent less time complaing about getting ripped of when using money that isn't even the legal currency up here and less time yapping over parking charges which are a fact of life in this day and age (£1 an hour is nothing, try £2.50 + an hour in london) and actually bought your shopping at your local supermarket then maybe the Republic's economy would'nt be in the mess it's in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

thequays wrote: »
    maybe if you all spent less time complaing about getting ripped of when using money that isn't even the legal currency up here and less time yapping over parking charges which are a fact of life in this day and age (£1 an hour is nothing, try £2.50 + an hour in london) and actually bought your shopping at your local supermarket then maybe the Republic's economy would'nt be in the mess it's in

So we could push our prices up even further? Yeah, that'll help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

smccarrick wrote: »
    You reckon?
    I did a reccie of the carpark. There were cars from as far south as Cork and Kerry there (though Dublin predominated, with Louth and Cavan coming up close behind).

Thankgod I had a full tank of diesel from home- its about 20% more expensive over the border......

Take into account people like me, with a C reg car, who live in Dublin and just pop up for the day :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Cork_girl wrote: »
    Take into account people like me, with a C reg car, who live in Dublin and just pop up for the day :D

True- and mine is a 'G' reg....... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

I didn't think Irish registered cars had to pay for parking in the North.

<runs and hides>

I didn't think Irish registered cars had to pay for parking in the North.

<runs and hides>

Really......
    Thats nice......
    We've now got the penalty point linkage with the UK sorted- do you really want to risk the PSNI turning up on your doorstep over unpaid fines?

We've now got the penalty point linkage with the UK sorted
    Really? Jaysus, when did that start?
    do you really want to risk the PSNI turning up on your doorstep over unpaid fines?
    Wouldn't happen because, technically, parking fines on private property are not fines. They can invoice, but they can't fine. It's also a civil matter, not a criminal one. It's also nothing to do with penalty points.

Really? Jaysus, when did that start?

Up and running- with a 'go-live' on reciprochal prosecutions of Jan 1st (last time I heard). It'll really get interesting if they manage to bring the licensing systems of other EU nation states on board........ Just shy of 18% of traffic offences in the Republic are committed by non-nationals. There should be a level playing field for all.
    Wouldn't happen because, technically, parking fines on private property are not fines. They can invoice, but they can't fine. It's also a civil matter, not a criminal one. It's also nothing to do with penalty points.

It would be a civil prosecution. You could have a judgement registered against you- which could be enforced at any stage in the UK. In practice, it really wouldn't be worth anyone's while- but it is an option open to them.

• Advertisement

Up and running- with a 'go-live' on reciprochal prosecutions of Jan 1st (last time I heard). It'll really get interesting if they manage to bring the licensing systems of other EU nation states on board........ Just shy of 18% of traffic offences in the Republic are committed by non-nationals. There should be a level playing field for all.

Did know that. I'm googling but can't find much more than:
    The Government and British-Irish Council are currently examining the recognition of penalty points between Northern Ireland and Ireland. The Attorney General is currently examining the complex legal issues involved.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/driving-offences/penalty-points-for-driving-offences

Anyway, I rarely go up North these days anyway. When I do I go by bus. Useful information though, thanks Shane!

Sorry to the OP for going off-topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,668 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Very hard to beat Belfast in my opinion. I love staying in the Radisson SAS - a superb hotel. Does great grub as well.

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Very hard to beat Belfast in my opinion. I love staying in the Radisson SAS - a superb hotel. Does great grub as well.

My favourite is the Crescent Townhouse Hotel on Botanic Avenue- its a boutique style hotel (the rooms look like something out of a Laura Ashley display), and it has an award winning restaurant with a decent menu (and a reasonable wine list).

Its cheapest at the weekends- as it tends to focus on conferences etc.

thequays wrote: »
    tired of complaining mexicans

Your first post and you call people here mexicans, that's nice :rolleyes:, you should remember that it is people coming up from the south to shop that is keeping a lot of you in jobs and creating more. People complain, get over it, if we didn't we would be worse off and ripped-off every where.

Your choice of username, are you anything to do with the quays ? if so why do Sainsburys there give one of the lowest rates around, and why did they introduce pay parking ? Not only has it annoyed people from the south, but people from newry too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭injured365

In fairness, its just good business sense to put some kind of mark up on the prices and considering how ignorant a lot of the people from the south who go shopping in newry are it was only a matter of time before people started getting annoyed and doing something about it.

How can people complain about not getting good exchange rates anywhere except a bank really?? No shop down south takes sterling, why should they be expected to be happy to take euros??

injured365 wrote: »
    In fairness, its just good business sense to put some kind of mark up on the prices.
    Some will argee, others will say it's greed.
    How can people complain about not getting good exchange rates anywhere except a bank really??
    True, there's plenty of bureau de changes around too.

considering how ignorant a lot of the people from the south who go shopping in newry are

What do you mean by that?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,668 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

My favourite is the Crescent Townhouse Hotel on Botanic Avenue- its a boutique style hotel (the rooms look like something out of a Laura Ashley display), and it has an award winning restaurant with a decent menu (and a reasonable wine list).

Its cheapest at the weekends- as it tends to focus on conferences etc.

Thanks for that. I'll check it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Anuahs

binosusan wrote: »
    anyone notice this past year newry has become so expensive that prices are almost the same in supermarkets and some stores compared to the south?
    kfc in newry only take cash and give a very low exchange rate like last week i was in kfc,newry and the exchange rate there was 80p while the banks gave you 89p. a difference of 9p. is this rip off or what. also noticed that they dont take credit cards. while the kfc in lisburn did take credit cards. work the math.
    newry is making money from the exchange rate differences by charging more to people who pay cash. ive always used a tesco credit card where im not charged on exchange rate but given the same market rate. sometimes better than the shop's exchange price. i also found the same in the outlet where food outlets like subway dont take cards only cash. i withdrew pound from the atm once using by atm card and my bank charged me 3p less than market rate. when the going rate was 94p to a euro. while the same day my credit card gave me 93.88 to a euro.

Who is asking you to come up??????????

We dont want you up here....we cant park or **** all!!! I'm sick sitting behind southern drivers in traffic cos most dont have a fecking clue where you are going or how to drive!!

Also.....We cant even shop in sainsburys cos you are taking all our food!!!!

How dare you winge about the exchange rate, you are still getting stuff cheaper in newry than in "Lucan".....Get over it!!!!!

Anuahs wrote: »

We dont want you up here....we cant park or **** all!!! I'm sick sitting behind southern drivers in traffic cos most dont have a fecking clue where you are going or how to drive!!

How dare you winge about the exchange rate, you are still getting stuff cheaper in newry than in "Lucan".....Get over it!!!!!

Take a deep breath and calm down........
    Now that penalty points are active between North and South- you'll notice a marked improvement in southern drivers up North, and vice versa down south. If you're not happy with the availability of food in Sainsbury's (or where-ever) ask the manager when the special orders come in, and have whatever you want put aside for you- its what everyone else does. Sainsbury's isn't the be-all and end-all either- there are plenty of other options (and for the weekly shop- it really doesn't make sense going into Newry anymore)........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I really don't see the point in whining about rip-offs in this sort of thread. There's always going to be higher prices with higher demand, caused by much lower prices.

But nothie vs mexican debates are just immature. I really can't get the whining about free-staters causing traffic problems any more than price gouging or whatever. Let's not forget who benefits most out of increased economic activity in Newry and Enniskillen and Derry, in the greater scheme of things...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

considering how ignorant a lot of the people from the south who go shopping in newry are it was only a matter of time before people started getting annoyed and doing something about it
    What do you mean by that?
    I would guess he means people are ignorant about how good it is, "grass is greener" mentality. I have seen posters in other threads making blanket statments like "everything is cheaper up north". I find it really fascinating how ignorant people are about how marketing, pricing structures etc work. Many people do not even know how to determine "good value", and I know guys who blindly bought up stuff while in the North presuming it was cheap (it was not). It is like people blindly filling trolleys in tesco with "offers", which are non-offers. They have a mindless logic of "it was up north/on offer, it must be cheap".

A mate of mine has a cash & carry card, I remember at a party he was filling bowls with loads of these tiny bags of peanuts you get in pubs they were on the big cardboard display thing, he had 2 or 3 of these big things. I was asking WTF he was at buying those tiny bags, and he was adamant that they costed him less since they were bought in a cash & carry. They would have been a fraction of the price in a supermarket. I was baffled and worried since he was actually helping manage a centra at the time too.

Half the time I am wondering if posters are taking the piss with their threads, but unfortunately most of the time they are not. It is like some people think some sort of pricing control is in place and shops must make a certain margin. They have no concept of supply & demand -I had seen 6 year old girls with "shops" in their front garden who can get their head around these basic concepts.

Moaning about a takeaway not taking foreign currency is bizarre, you'd expect it in a comedy sketch, like going to a foreign country and moaning "the bloody locals did not even bother to learn English".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭captainscarlet

I was in waterstones in Newry the other day. The prices for full price books were slightly cheaper than down south but they had NONE of the offers offered by dublin. No 3 for 2 offers or money off new releases.

Those shops got wise to all the people who have a preconception about it being cheaper, and now shop without checking prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

I was in waterstones in Newry the other day. The prices for full price books were slightly cheaper than down south but they had NONE of the offers offered by dublin. No 3 for 2 offers or money off new releases.

Those shops got wise to all the people who have a preconception about it being cheaper, and now shop without checking prices.

Was in Waterstones today and purchased 3 for 2 books (Terry Prachet series)...saying that,,,I agree with both ureself and rubadub...you need to watch out as not everything is necessarily cheaper...I have found a couple of shops 'forcing' me to pay Euro price on my credit card- one in particular today (a clothes shop) just pleaded ignorance and said that all shoppers with 'southern' cards, must pay in euro.....I walked!!!!...they're definately making approx £3 per £50 over and above normal cc exchange rates....don't know is it the shop or the cc company that gets this 'excess' but they certainly wouldn't and won't get my business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

just back from the outlet. pliot was allowing 66p for the euro.!!

most other shops where 90p for the euro and some where euro for pound.

just thought i'd let you know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭cable842

Ive been hearing that belfast is not cheaper then newry cause all the dubs are goin to newry and they put up the prices.

cable842 wrote: »
    Ive been hearing that belfast is not cheaper then newry cause all the dubs are goin to newry and they put up the prices.

I can only speak for certain shops that I have to visit on occasion- but Sainsburys in Newry, Sprucefield, The Kennedy Centre of Falls in Belfast, and Forestside- all have the same prices for any products I regularly have to purchase.

I'm not sure what you mean about Belfast not being cheaper than Newry? If you go to the websites for many of the more popular retailors (incl. Sainsburys, B&Q, Halfords etc)- they often have their prices on their websites- and charge accordingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Next it will be your jobs, and then....... your women. :P

Im slowly developing a fetish for 'nordie' women. The groaning out of them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

If we didnt come up your economy would be as bad as ours is now, would be FAR less jobs without us "southerns".

What an ass, just for future reference I am from ROI not southern Ireland. Cop on. Bet you dont evening know the country code for calling the "south". :mad:

• Advertisement

TillyGirl wrote: »
    I am from ROI
    Not 'Ireland' then, no?

Advertisement