Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

favourite comedians

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Stewart Lee by a stretch tbh.
    I do really like Frankie Boyle and Jimmy Carr too, but there's a real intelligence about Lee. He doesn't just hand his punchlines out, he knows how to work a joke, build it up. And his timing is incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭winston82

Chris Rock. Saw him in Dublin last year. So funny. Not crazy about his tv shows though. Still my no. 1 all the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

Tommy Tiernan for me,love the way he takes that one step further in what he says,Jason Burn isn't bad either.
    Peter Kay and Omid Djalili would be my favorite British ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Eddie Murphy Raw and Delerious are probabley two of the best shows ive ever seen, unbeleivably funny!!!!

Pablo Francisco is amazing to, one of his shows (cant remember its name) is great.especially the "extacy at a techno club" skit.

Jeff Dunham is pretty ccol along with dmetri martin, frankie boyle, jimmy carr, lee evans, mitch hedberg and adam hills.

Not a big hicks fan, think hes fairly boring!!!!some i cant stand are alan carr, jason byrne and MAEVE HIGGINS to name a few

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Sirsok wrote: »
    Eddie Murphy Raw and Delerious are probabley two of the best shows ive ever seen, unbeleivably funny!!!!

Pablo Francisco is amazing to, one of his shows (cant remember its name) is great.especially the "extacy at a techno club" skit.
    Raw and Delirious are exceptionally good.

The Pablo Frasisco show is called Bits & Pieces, really good. A friend of mine seen him in NY a couple of years ago and said he was brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

Sirsok wrote: »

Jeff Dunham is pretty ccol along with dmetri martin, frankie boyle, jimmy carr, lee evans, mitch hedberg and adam hills.

Not a big hicks fan, think hes fairly boring!!!!some i cant stand are alan carr, jason byrne and MAEVE HIGGINS to name a few

Its funniest when Jeff Dunham has Walter with him.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

Peter Kay when he gets a good idea, but when he gets a bad one it can be oh so so so bad ( see Geraldine Mcqueen).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Stewart Lee by a county mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Father Stone

Dylan Moran is the best comedian in this country if not the world. Got "What it is" for Christmas, one of the best stand-up DVD's I have ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 JuiceTerry

ok, here it goes, greatest comedians ever and some great contemporary ones mixed in

• George Carlin ( the greatest comedian ever. pure genius)
    • Richard Pryor (RIP)
    • Bill Hicks (RIP)
    • Dane Cook ( gets unfairly attacked - solid and tight he is)
    • Stuart Lee
    • Doug Stanhope
    • Chris Rock
    • Ben Elton ( in the 80s & 90s)
    • Dylan Moran
    • Tommy Tiernan
    • Dave McSavage
    • Robbie Bonham
    • Michael Mee
    • Russell Brand
    • Frankie Boyle
    • Billy Connolly
    • Mark Thomas
    • Eddie Murphy
    • Jerry Seinfeld
    • Daire O Brian

this is tiring.....I know that I am missing a vast number of worthy and hilarious acts!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

JuiceTerry wrote: »
    ok, here it goes, greatest comedians ever and some great contemporary ones mixed in

• Dane Cook ( gets unfairly attacked - solid and tight he is)
    watched his latest standup dvd recently and was very impressed, really funny stuff. Wasnt expecting it to be as good as his movies normally blow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    The Pablo Frasisco show is called Bits & Pieces, really good. A friend of mine seen him in NY a couple of years ago and said he was brilliant.

Bits & Pieces is his 1st DVD filmed in Irvine, Ouch! is the 2nd DVD with the "Mitsubishi ecstasy" :D Both are excellent! Really would love to see this guy live.

My favourites (though I like quite a lot of the smaller comedians) are:

Richard Pryor - The way he tells a story and paints an image in your head is masterclass.

Bill Hicks - Just love his fùck off mentality.

Early Tommy Tiernan, nowadays all he does is shout like Jason Bryne, who I don't find one bit funny.

Dylan Moran - Why a lot of people don't know this guy is baffling!

Eddie Murphy - Lots of Richard Pryor-ishness to his routines but he was one of the best in the 80's. Shame what happened to him nowadays.

Omid Djalili - He is pretty good but he needs to stop stretching out some of his jokes. We get it the 2nd time.

Jimmy Carr - The master of one-liners and comebacks, he really is a cùnt to the audience :D

Frankie Boyle - Haven't seen much of his stand-up but he is one of the best things on Mock The Week.

Chris Rock - He does have genuinely funny pieces but his voice is like a nail in my head.

Michael Winslow - The "noise guy" from Police Academy, while not terribly great at stand up his sound effects sound more real than the actual things he portrays. Though he uses pedals for effects he really is to sound mimics what Micheal Jackon was to dance:

I'm not really into the other big name comedians like Bill Bailey (don't like "random humour" but he is a talented musician who has his moments) or Ricky Gervais...............just :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 x0xgranzx0x

JACK DEE!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭trout

The late, great Bill Hicks and Stewart Lee are my personal favourites.
    Frankie Boyle is good, he's really grown on me in the last year or so.

I think John Pinette is very funny too, though most people I talk to say "John WHO ?".

John Pinette ... check him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭Sirsok

trout wrote: »
    The late, great Bill Hicks and Stewart Lee are my personal favourites.
    Frankie Boyle is good, he's really grown on me in the last year or so.

I think John Pinette is very funny too, though most people I talk to say "John WHO ?".

John Pinette ... check him out.
    Ha he's the fa ice cream guy

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Nic'name

David Mitchell
    Russell Howard
    Jason Byrne
    Ed Byrne
    Dara O'Brian
    Jo Brand
    David Mitchell
    Shappi Khorsandi
    Noel Fielding
    Julian Barratt
    Russell Brand
    PJ Gallagher
    Maeve Higgins
    Billy Connolly
    Andrew Maxwell
    Eleanor Tiernan
    Colin Murphy
    Robert Webb
    Bill Bailey
    Dorothy Parker
    Michael McIntyre
    Simon Pegg
    Tommy Tiernan
    Ardal O'Hanlon
    Jason Coughlan
    Dawn McDonough
    Rhod Gilbert
    Adam Hills

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Nic'name wrote: »
    David Mitchell
    Russell Howard
    Jason Byrne
    Ed Byrne
    Dara O'Brian
    Jo Brand
    David Mitchell
    Shappi Khorsandi
    Noel Fielding
    Julian Barratt
    Russell Brand
    PJ Gallagher
    Maeve Higgins
    Billy Connolly
    Andrew Maxwell
    Eleanor Tiernan
    Colin Murphy
    Robert Webb
    Bill Bailey
    Dorothy Parker
    Michael McIntyre
    Simon Pegg
    Tommy Tiernan
    Ardal O'Hanlon
    Jason Coughlan
    Dawn McDonough
    Rhod Gilbert
    Adam Hills

i was tryin to figure out who you were from your first post but after seein this coupled with your location ive got it!! :D

some very good choices there!!

I stalked your page but I'm clearly not as clever as you.....oh might one, what be your identity. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Nic'name wrote: »
    I stalked your page but I'm clearly not as clever as you.....oh might one, what be your identity. :cool:

you dont remember me?! ah im heartbroken hun :(

:p it's graham duffy!

Ah righty, was that at Dawn's yoke? I added ya on facebook there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Dara O Briain, hands down. His comic timing is astonishing!

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Scoobydoobydoo

Dara O Briain is just excellent. Very intelligent stand up routines and sharp audience interaction. He manages to be hilarious without offending anyone.
    I quite like Dylan Moran.
    I used to like Tommy Tiernan but now he just seems to shout a lot and it's boring.
    I thought Frankie Boyle was great on Mock the Week but his stand up dvd was dreadful - 60% of the material was recycled gags from MTW and he just insults the audience in a cringeworthy manner.
    I think Jack Dee and Jo Brand are very good.
    I really don't get Russell Brand or Jason Byrne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 CabaretKitten

Bill Hicks, hands down as the greatest in snarling, abusive and timelss comedy!(seriously, even his Bush jokes are still relevant! which are both hilarious and stand as an example of history repeated)
    An ability to turn bitter hatred of self and society into hours of comedic gold...

Bill Bailey bein the favourite, for: a) still having a pulse b) being a musical genius and c) seemingly managing to climb the ladder form "drunken rambling street walker" to "international uber-star"

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Its ironic that you watch Bill Hicks early 90s material a year ago and it would still be as relevant as ever

Not enough love for Christopher Titus on here, youtube his shows Norman Rockwell Is Bleeding and Love is Evol, the first is about his family, the second his divorce and aftermath, brilliantly funny and very, very candid stuff, especially about his mother, a paranoid schizophrenic suicidal alchoholic, example paraphrased joke "My dad rang me up and said that my mom had gotten out of therapy, and killed herself, I hung up, then rang back and asked if she'd taken anyone with her and he said "y'know that was my first question as well!" "

krudler wrote: »
    Its ironic that you watch Bill Hicks early 90s material a year ago and it would still be as relevant as ever

example paraphrased joke "My dad rang me up and said that my mom had gotten out of therapy, and killed herself, I hung up, then rang back and asked if she'd taken anyone with her and he said "y'know that was my first question as well!" "

Its mad how Bills stand up around politics was so relevant, i mean if you didn know better, you'd think he was talkin about current events (well last year as you said)

What show is that stuff about Christopher Titus mother from? I was lookin on youtube...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Its mad how Bills stand up around politics was so relevant, i mean if you didn know better, you'd think he was talkin about current events (well last year as you said)

What show is that stuff about Christopher Titus mother from? I was lookin on youtube...

Its from Normal Rockwell is Bleeding, works better if you watch the whole thing as its a build up moment, but heres the clip:

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

russel howard

Its from Normal Rockwell is Bleeding, works better if you watch the whole thing

Yeah i found it! I LOVED it, seriously, feelin better about my own MI already! ha ha
    I found Love is Evol aswel, cheers for the link!

*inserts love for Christopher Titus to the thread*

Nice one! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Its from Normal Rockwell is Bleeding, works better if you watch the whole thing as its a build up moment, but heres the clip:

Made me laugh.
    Equally affecting and funny.
    His mom's suicide is some hardcore material to riff on.

Edit: from another clip:
    "pranks that happened to be felonies" is a great line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IsThisIt???

Eddie Izzard, Dylan Moran, Bill Hicks, Bill Bailey

And don't think Demetri Martin has been mentioned here but he does some of the funniest stuff i've ever seen!!

Advertisement